• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • This year I'm "growing" volunteers only. The only thing that succeeded in 2023 were some cherry/grape tomatoes I got from Joseph. They were in 2 gallon pots 4-5 feet off the ground and directly on my patio.
    We have always had deer issues, but it has recently gotten really worse. Last summer the deer shredded Trinidad Scorpion peppers that were just starting to fruit. It was then that I realized a vegetable garden in my yard is a lost cause.
    FWIW- The deer haven't (yet) realized figs taste good. I was actually able to harvest 5-6 of them in 2023.

GregS

Dec 10, 2018
    Street, MD
    I've always been extremely happy with Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. They are out of VA, so fairly close to our zone.
    I'm a big fan of SESE. Although it's been a couple of years since I've started from seed. I get my peppers from Valley View Farms. About all I start from seed is any greens and any cucubit.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Have you tried dish soap and water in sprayer? I have found it works good enough on most things to keep numbers down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    What F-Stop is telling you is that dish soap in water sprayed on bugs will kill them. They absorb oxygen through their exoskeleton and soap bubbles essentially drowns them.

GregS

Dec 10, 2018
    Street, MD
    Yep, I use soap spray pretty regularly. Only problem is it's a contact spray, since the larvae tend to eat from the bottom of the leaves it requires a lot of work to get to them all. It is doable, but I feel my gardening effort is better used on other things. It's just like everything else, you pick your battles.

jspero

Aug 6, 2009
    One Foot Out The Door
    I started working the raised beds this week. My Fall crops are still hanging on. I have red carrots, orange carrots, beets, and spinach that all look healthy and are holdovers from a Fall crop I planted too late. I actually harvested a good amount of spinach Saturday and it was enough for a large salad for the whole family. I’m hoping the carrots and beets take off in the next couple of weeks. If not, I’ll plow them in and start again from seeds. I planted a bunch of garlic in the Fall and they are all coming up nicely. Same with green onions. This week, I planted red radish, red onions, and arugula. I think they will survive the cold snap this week pretty well. I’m also going to plant more beets, Chinese broccoli, and bok choy this week since they handle cold pretty well. I had a bunch of June-bearing strawberries I tried to over-winter, but only a few survived. As soon as they are out one of the nurseries I go to, I’ll re-plant a bunch (I have a 4x4 bed dedicated to strawberries this year).

Other crops to be planted this season - Thai peppers, jalapeno peppers, Chinese egg plant, bell peppers, several kinds of tomatoes, parsley, dill, thyme, chives, cilantro, rosemary, Thai basil, leeks, snow peas, and hot radishes.

Anyway, it was good to get out in the nice weather and get things going. Good to everyone this year!

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Other crops to be planted this season - Thai peppers, jalapeno peppers, Chinese egg plant, bell peppers, several kinds of tomatoes, parsley, dill, thyme, chives, cilantro, rosemary, Thai basil, leeks, snow peas, and hot radishes.
    You likely know but I'll write it anyway. Keep the bells away from your hot peppers. Cross pollination is a thing. I had a year with some really mild cayenne peppers.

jspero

Aug 6, 2009
    One Foot Out The Door
    You likely know but I'll write it anyway. Keep the bells away from your hot peppers. Cross pollination is a thing. I had a year with some really mild cayenne peppers.
    Good advice. I found out the hard way, too! I was hoping it would go the other way, though, and I would get hot bell peppers. :) Hot peppers are going in a different bed.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Ive read different stuff on cross pollination some say it doesnt affect current plants but will for the seeds of the plants.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Ive read different stuff on cross pollination some say it doesnt affect current plants but will for the seeds of the plants.
    I'm not expert and have only one data point. Only grew bell peppers one year and that was the year my cayenne peppers were mild. My garden is rather modest so the bell peppers got the boot. Cayennes are back to the way I like 'em. :shrug:

GregS

Dec 10, 2018
    Street, MD
    I've been really lazy the past couple of years and my raised beds were just 2x6 screwed together. This year I built a frame with that corrugated steel roofing for sides. Trying my hand with hugulculture (however that's spelled) If it works out this year, I'll put in another next year. Only negative so far is it takes a lot of "stuff" to fill that 2' tall bed.

foodpoison

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    the Dena
    Adding 2 more beds this year and another trellis. Planted bok choy,lettuce, and spinach in one of the new ones, still gotta complete the other new 1. Also planted green onions, chives, cilantro, parsley, and radishes in existing beds. Started pepper plants earlier this week. I am out of shape and sore at this moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom