• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ok I know its a little dramatic but heres the thing. Before I modify anything I would like some experienced accounts first, pro and cons. I have a rebuilt garand, non-collector that I plan for usage. Along with running the M2 ball ammo, do any of you have an adjustable gas plug for running modern ammo? More or less want to hear if its worth the bucks and effort or not. Please share...Thanks, D

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    if you purchase an "adjustable" gas plug for your garand, it will have to be adjusted for the type of ammo you plan to shoot then locked in .
    switch ammo and you will have to do the same again.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have a Shuster plug I've never installed. I just shoot lots of surplus HXP.

An adjustable gas plug would disqualify the rifle in CMP competition.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Just curious, why do you want to shoot anything but M2? Matches, hunting? The CMP HXP stuff is the lowest priced out there.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Bought some Federal American Eagle specially made for the Garand but it wasn't any better than the surplus HXP stuff from CMP. But I have other rifles that I would use for hunting long before I got to the Garand so I haven't seen the need for a conversion for modern ammo.

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    I believe the modern hunting 30-06 is loaded too hot for the operating rod on M1's
    the M2 is less powerful than commercial rounds IIRC

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I always run M2 surplus. I've heard the op rod horror stories about commercial ammo as well. Surplus is still plentiful and somewhat affordable so no reason to use anything else.

Dec 22, 2010
    Eldersburg
    I've repaired 2 rifles that the owners used civilian hunting ammo in. Both rifle had damage to the op rods. One rifle also had damage the rear of the receiver because the op rod spring was out of spec. I only use military ball ammo for my M1's, HXP is pretty good as far as accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom