• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    Its actually been happening a lot lately. They are starting to notice that police cannot get everyone. The way only a few people ever get arrested for city wide riots. "flash" mobs have been attacking stores lately stealing and attacking shoppers knowing out of 20-30 people only 2-3 will go down. Safety in numbers. Good time to join a gang in Maryland I guess. There is no room for individuals in the collective.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    No, this can't be, not in the utopia of Columbia where the river runs with honey and everyone is a perfect human.

Sarcasm off now. They would stop if 2-3 of them were shot per week. Would all be gone pretty quick at that rate. Now, they have little to fear and even if arrested they will be well cared for and do little time so why not be a thug?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Its actually been happening a lot lately. They are starting to notice that police cannot get everyone. The way only a few people ever get arrested for city wide riots. "flash" mobs have been attacking stores lately stealing and attacking shoppers knowing out of 20-30 people only 2-3 will go down. Safety in numbers. Good time to join a gang in Maryland I guess. There is no room for individuals in the collective.

Yes and no. Technically they aren't gang robberies and it really has nothing to do with the only 2-3 get caught.

The real problem is its being accepted as the cool thing to do. At 28 I hate to sound like a dad here but this is actually becoming a serious social problem. The kids on FB and twitter are making fun of other kids saying they aren't thugs because they aren't robbing nobody. I could explain in recent "beefs" of semi famous rappers but its not worth it.

What it honestly boils down to is thanks to specific people that the youth looks up to robbing becomes the cool thing to do. This behavior is only going to increase because the attorneys are dropping the robbery charges to a misd theft and a misd assault so there is no serious punishment. I'm not just speaking for DC either MD in general is going to see his problem explode.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    There have been incidents similar to this going on for years. Mostly gang initiation processes, though there have been gang murders as well (remember the mexican necktie incident in Arbutus about 8 years ago).

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Where is the Good Delegate from Baltimore City who said Notsomerryland is full of Travon Martins. I watched about 40 hours of those final floor debates and he was the only Delegate that brought race into the equation.

Surely all the sweet, innocent, doe-eyed Trayvon (ANGELS) can be spoken to with kindness and love and understanding.

Can the Good Delegate do that for the honest, hard working, tax payers in Notsomerryland? Can he tell the Trayvons to be nice to polite society?

Can he calm the fears of all us evil, hate-filled, card carrying NRA members? Oh, I forgot. We're the problem. The DANGEROUS ones. At least that's what the media (MSNBC) has been saying.

Can he reassure us that we won't have our noses broken and bloodied and the back of our heads bashed and gashed against the concrete?

My oldest son and his new wife live down that way in Laurel. I worry about them at times.

P.S.
    You will notice that I did NOT use the word THUG in any part of my comment.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    There have been incidents similar to this going on for years. Mostly gang initiation processes, though there have been gang murders as well (remember the mexican necktie incident in Arbutus about 8 years ago).

These are not gangs. Generally when you think of "gang" there is organization, a form of rank structure, an initiation process, and identifiers.

None of this matches to what your seeing now a day with these robberies.

These are loosely affiliated kids with no ties to anything with a structure. They meet up after communicating on some form of social media and generally it starts with, hey let's go fight that guy. Then during the fight a few members of the group decide to take things.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I'm not going to try to fight all of them. I'm going to pick one, and break his neck.

The others can decide what to do after that.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    Kids think this behavior is no big deal because there is little to no repercussions for their action versus the acceptance and notoriety within their peer groups. Most of them are not hardcore and would shit their pants doing time away from friends and family. The problem is if they do get time (juvie) they are doing it with other neighborhood kids or cousins, "uncles", big brothers, etc. If they run across the wrong "victim" and a few get badly hurt it will put a stop to many in that group.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Kids think this behavior is no big deal because there is little to no repercussions for their action versus the acceptance and notoriety within their peer groups.

Pretty much. There have never been any real consequences for any of their behavior previously, so this is just the natural continuation.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    These are not gangs. Generally when you think of "gang" there is organization, a form of rank structure, an initiation process, and identifiers.
    None of this matches to what your seeing now a day with these robberies.
    These are loosely affiliated kids with no ties to anything with a structure. They meet up after communicating on some form of social media and generally it starts with, hey let's go fight that guy. Then during the fight a few members of the group decide to take things.

What's in the article is not gang related, but there is gang activity out there. Columbia Mall has been the site of some.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    There is gang activity all over the county. MS-13, and factions of the Bloods and Crips are in columbia, Elkridge, Jessup/N. Laurel.... Been here for a few years.... I believe that it is often ignored or not reported as "gang activity" to keep real estate prices in the premium range.

They are here, they just are not aknowledged...

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    What's in the article is not gang related, but there is gang activity out there. Columbia Mall has been the site of some.

Trust me in reality gang violence is the least of your worries.

These groups are far more dangerous just due to randomness. Gangs in general stick (or attempt to) stick to commit crimes against other gang members.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    There is gang activity all over the county. MS-13, and factions of the Bloods and Crips are in columbia, Elkridge, Jessup/N. Laurel.... Been here for a few years.... I believe that it is often ignored or not reported as "gang activity" to keep real estate prices in the premium range.

They are here, they just are not aknowledged...

I've been here two years and you guys are already making me want to move and/or buy bigger guns.

We were in Germantown before this and I had the pleasure of waking up one morning to Latin King graffiti symbols painted on the condo complex across from our townhouse. They stayed on the condo complex for about a month.

Talk to the police though, and there is no gang activity in Germantown. Had a case in early March against the Frederick Assistant State's Attorney and he said they are seeing plenty of gang activity in Frederick City and he is the one in charge of gang and gun crimes.

It is refreshing to know that we have it here in Columbia. Have to wonder how long it will take for it to move out west. Took a while for it to move from Wheaton to Germantown. Only a matter of time for the cancer to spread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom