• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Before the law changed to allow straight wall I would say the 220 was THE best option for killing deer. The H&R single shots are right there with it but hard to find now. I don't own either but have shot both.

I'd say a Henry single shot.

However, they are not cheap for what they are. The workmanship seems very nice, but they are still pushing $600 for a break action single shot.

The CVA break action single shot rifles IIRC are listed at around $400 and MSRP a little less. So that could be a good option. It is too bad they don't make a rifled break action shotgun. THAT would be neat.

I've been tempted to get one of them between the price and the fact I've got a CVA Wolf muzzle loader and design is pretty similar, though the break action is slightly different.

Sadly, CVA only threads a couple of their break actions (but at least they thread some! Henry doesn't thread any of theirs that I can see). The 300BO and 450 Bushmaster are both threaded. I wish they made a .357 threaded. Either Henry or CVA.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you get a muzzleloader,you will be able to hunt all the seasons besides archery,in every county in md.

Just a reminder though that you cannot carry both a muzzleloader and archery equipment at the same time in the state. It is possible that only applies during the second half split of early muzzleloader. However, when I was looking at the NRP penalty schedule, it just lists carrying a muzzleloader and archery equipment concurrently (or something to that affect). I didn't look up the COMAR section cited next to the violation and penalty. IIRC it was a $150 payable fee or I think 500/1500/4000 and/or 1yr for 1, 2 and 3rd violations.

*edit* found the link

https://mdcourts.gov/sites/default/files/court-forms/dnr.pdf

It says "Possess both a muzzleloader and bow while hunting other than during firearms season" 08.03.04.05H payable $250, 1st/1500; 2nd/4000 and 1 year

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Just a reminder though that you cannot carry both a muzzleloader and archery equipment at the same time in the state. It is possible that only applies during the second half split of early muzzleloader. However, when I was looking at the NRP penalty schedule, it just lists carrying a muzzleloader and archery equipment concurrently (or something to that affect). I didn't look up the COMAR section cited next to the violation and penalty. IIRC it was a $150 payable fee or I think 500/1500/4000 and/or 1yr for 1, 2 and 3rd violations.

*edit* found the link

It says "Possess both a muzzleloader and bow while hunting other than during firearms season" 08.03.04.05H payable $250, 1st/1500; 2nd/4000 and 1 year

A law that screams to me.....why would it matter?

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I was told carrying a 22 for squirrels and a bow for deer was an equal violation by a ranger and would equate to paying papers. They said it is legal for both but they know the people they usually catch are carrying the 22 to snipe deer in the head and call it in as a bow kill.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    When I was being checked by the DNR in Garrett Co,I asked her if it was legal to deer hunt with a rifle and have a 22 for squirrels at the same time, or have slugs with you while small game hunting? Both scenarios are during the open deer firearms season. She said she would definitely write a ticket but wasnt sure what the charge would be.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I was told carrying a 22 for squirrels and a bow for deer was an equal violation by a ranger and would equate to paying papers. They said it is legal for both but they know the people they usually catch are carrying the 22 to snipe deer in the head and call it in as a bow kill.

Tactics of the Department of Pre-Crime.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

*edit* found the link

It was probably early ML season that made it necessary to do away with the bow/muzzle loader law. I have to admit, when I last read that law, we were all still walking around with paper tags on our backs.

The last few years I actually hunted the early ML season, I hunted with a bow only. No ML during the early season.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    I'd say a Henry single shot.

However, they are not cheap for what they are. The workmanship seems very nice, but they are still pushing $600 for a break action single shot.

The CVA break action single shot rifles IIRC are listed at around $400 and MSRP a little less. So that could be a good option. It is too bad they don't make a rifled break action shotgun. THAT would be neat.

I've been tempted to get one of them between the price and the fact I've got a CVA Wolf muzzle loader and design is pretty similar, though the break action is slightly different.

Sadly, CVA only threads a couple of their break actions (but at least they thread some! Henry doesn't thread any of theirs that I can see). The 300BO and 450 Bushmaster are both threaded. I wish they made a .357 threaded. Either Henry or CVA.

I acquired the Henry 450 this year. Always hunting with the 220 and like others have said fantastic but thankfully MD gave me an excuse to buy something new. Fit n finish are Henry quality, and it is shooter. Picked it up at Joe Bob’s as could not find local and they were fairly priced.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    When I was being checked by the DNR in Garrett Co,I asked her if it was legal to deer hunt with a rifle and have a 22 for squirrels at the same time, or have slugs with you while small game hunting? Both scenarios are during the open deer firearms season. She said she would definitely write a ticket but wasnt sure what the charge would be.

That's not only hilarious, but typical too.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    This year my scoped H&R Ultra Slug Hunter single shot 12 ga stayed in the safe. I've taken many deer with it, but now that they allow straight wall in my county I switched to a .450 Bushmaster.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Are .410s even legal for deer now-a-days?

I dont they have been legal for quite a while. I thought I remembered hearing they banned them for whitetail back in the early 90s. I could be wrong though.

I remember hearing about guys loading 30-06 in single shot .410s in shotgun counties to gain some advantage over slugs. Sounded like candidates for a Darwin contest to me. Besides even if it worked how accurate could it be coming out of a smooth bore?:D

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Shooting at waterfowl from a height of ten or more feet.
    Now who in the world would do something like that and why?
    And what would that really look like exactly?

A long time ago I witnessed some of the evidence surrounding that one.
    Some things you have to see to believe and even then a double take is necessary to make sure your not seeing things.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Shooting at waterfowl from a height of ten or more feet.
    Now who in the world would do something like that and why?
    And what would that really look like exactly?

A long time ago I witnessed some of the evidence surrounding that one.
    Some things you have to see to believe and even then a double take is necessary to make sure your not seeing things.

I imagine a duck blind on top of a boat house?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If we had to compile a list of the most commonly used cartridges to hunt deer, what would it look like? I'm guessing something like:

30-30
    6.5 Creedmoor
    30-06
    300 Win Mag

Did I miss any?

Would it be worth it to try to come up with what might be the most popular rifles?

Marlin 336
    Winchester Model 94
    Remington 700
    Winchester Model 70
    Ruger American
    Weatherby Vanguard
    Weatherby Mark V
    Browning X Bolt
    Savage 110
    Tikka T3

Maybe to a lesser degree, military sporters?

Springfield 1903A3
    Mauser 98
    Mosin Nagant?

Did I miss any heavy hitters?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Counterweighted platforms rigged like masonry tending pully’s so one could hoist their self up to the upper canopy to shoot geese off the nearby refuge.
    That's a lot of effort to go to in order to get a few geese, unless the intent wasn't to only get a few, but rather to poach a whole bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom