• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n1111tr0

Jul 9, 2008
    Belcamp
    Ive been thinking about getting a Galil. My question is it looks like the rear sights are mounted on the back cover that (if its anything like the ak) needs to be removed in order to disassemble it for cleaning. Wouldn't this throw off your zero every time you take the thing apart? I thought thats why the ak rear sight is mounted where it is. Anyone have any input?

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    The rear sight is permanently attached to the receiver cover, it will not come off. Plus the design of the rifle itself is very durable including the rear sight so cleaning it would be a non-issue since there are only two peep sights for 300 and 500 yards to adjust anyway. The receiver cover is also wider than your standard AK one so they are not interchangeable. I assume the reason AK's have the rear sight on the front trunnion is that it was much simpler to mount them there and were of a simpler design than the diopter-style rear sight on the Galil.

If you plan on buying a Golani, make sure that the serial number begins with the letter suffix GLN because they use Caspian receivers which are better made than the GAL suffixes that are ORF receivers that are out of spec and have heat treating issues. Remember it is still a Century gun so you get what you pay for.

Red Stick/Red Jacket Firearms makes an alternative Galil using a stamped receiver that makes it lighter and will be way more reliable than the Century-made version.

If you have any problems with it you can send it to Hillbilly Firearms.
    http://www.hillbillyfirearms.com/welcome.htm
    They will do a better job than what Century does with their own rifles.

Also Magnolia State Armory makes a magazine adapter that allows you to use AR mags.
    http://magnoliastatearmory.com/

Galil Talk on the UziForum also will give you a lot of info you need.
    http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77&order=desc

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I shot my 5.56mm Galil in High Power matches for many seasons and it did not change it's zero after it was cleaned.

Last edited:

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    What Scott and Skip said applies also to my Galil, which is chambered in 7.62. Despite the sight mounting location, the rifle is still more accurate than I am. Rock solid dependable, too, and commendably evil looking:lol:

Blazin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2008
    Leonardtown, MD
    Ive been thinking about getting a Galil. My question is it looks like the rear sights are mounted on the back cover that (if its anything like the ak) needs to be removed in order to disassemble it for cleaning. Wouldn't this throw off your zero every time you take the thing apart? I thought thats why the ak rear sight is mounted where it is. Anyone have any input?

Valid question. The dust covers on Galils fit the gun much tighter than your average AK, thus resulting in little to no zero change after removing and replacing the dust cover.

Galils are one wicked assault rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom