• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moto.x

Sep 16, 2014
    Hi all, are we allowed to purchase a G3 parts kit? I'd like to build a pistol but I'm not sure about the legality of a G3 parts kit.

moto.x

Sep 16, 2014
    I see fair enough, would I be able to build a G3K as a pistol? I'd like something like the PTR K3P but with out the rails.

Last edited:

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I think you're fine legally. Sourcing or bending the receiver may be the tough part. I'm a bit interested myself. Do you have the receiver figured out? Barrel?

I like the PTR stuff but I think they only make them in 8in versions now which is a bit short for a 308 in my opinion.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    What about just building a G3K with a 16” barrel? The shortened bolt carrier won’t interchange with a regular one.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I think the SBR route is the best way to go. I have a receiver. My plan is a 15.9” barrel. An extra $200, but I’ll have the gun I want.

KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but why couldn’t you register a SBR and then put on a 18” barrel. It would still be registered as an SBR. Or is this one of those MD confusing gun law loop holes?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but why couldn’t you register a SBR and then put on a 18” barrel. It would still be registered as an SBR. Or is this one of those MD confusing gun law loop holes?
    Good question. I don’t know

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Found out. No. If you put an 18” barrel on it, it is banned….lol.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Ken,
    Good info!

So, the pistols take a shortened bolt?
    Different receiver also?
    I know little about the pistol versions of that platform.
    Yes, that rod portion of the bolt carrier is shortened for the shorter cocking tube. The G3K uses a 33 length cocking tube. The really short pistols are based off the HK51 builds using basically an MP5 length cocking tube.

SBRs partially falling under the state definition of a handgun is what keeps them out of the enumerated banned assault long gun category. The state definition of a handgun is barrel under 16” or something like that.

I guess you could do a G3K consisting of the 17.7” full length barrel, but 33 length cocking tube and bolt carrier.

moto.x

Sep 16, 2014
    What about just building a G3K with a 16” barrel? The shortened bolt carrier won’t interchange with a regular one.
    Forgive my ignorance, I'm just now getting into HKs. I thought I just needed a standard G3 parts kit, a G3k cocking tube and G3k barrel? Where did I go wrong?

Im going for a clone of the G3KA4 which uses a 12.4" barrel. But in pistol version.

Attachments

• 3512-1.jpg
      3512-1.jpg
      26.9 KB · Views: 36

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Forgive my ignorance, I'm just now getting into HKs. I thought I just needed a standard G3 parts kit, a G3k cocking tube and G3k barrel? Where did I go wrong?

Im going for a clone of the G3KA4 which uses a 12.4" barrel. But in pistol version.
    Whoops, I remembered incorrectly. The G3K uses a regular G3 bolt. The cocking tube support is shorter to allow the G3 bolt to fit in a shorter tube.

Guess you’re set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom