• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Well, I'm going to sell my Gen 3 Glock 21. It's been 100% reliable but its just to fat for my hands.

I thought I had decided on a Gen 3 G21 SF to replace it, but now I'm thinking Gen 4. My understanding is the smallest grip on the Gen 4 is about the same size as the G21 SF. Some say the Gen 4 feels slightly smaller...well whatever.

As far as RELIABILITY is concerned, what should I go with? I have read that there were some issues with the G21 SF and G20 SF magazine releases. I believe these were the first reversible magazine releases that glock ever offered, and they are not the same ones glock stuck with on Gen 4.

I don't care about the new texture or double captive recoil spring as long as the weapon functions.

What do you guys think?

Also, will I likely be paying more for the Gen4?

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    To answer your last question, you will probably pay more for the Gen4. That said, the Gen4 comes with 3 mags versus the 2 of the Gen3.

Some people claim that the dual captive recoil spring assembly is a bag of crap, but I think the issues people were having with it are a bit over-stated (and largely confined to the 9mm models). I think the mag release issue has been resolved on both Gen3 and Gen4 models. That said, given the choice, I'd try to track down a Gen3 21SF with the picatinny rail or a G21SF RTF2, but that's just me.

wizzer368

Zombie Slayer
    Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern shore of MD
    I pondered the same thing I ended up getting a gen 4. It was already said but the recoil spring problem seemed to be on the 19. I wasn't sure about the 21sf width and couldn't find one in stock but I knew the gen4 had interchangeable straps. I have small hands and left the strap from the factory on with out a problem. I have had my gun since January about 500 rounds with no issues. I am actually taking it to Delmarva tomorrow to let a friend shoot he wants on now.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The biggest problem I recall for the G21 SF is a mag release failure causing the mag and other pieces to fall out. I've not seen any serious complaints about G21 Gen4. Reported Gen4 problems are 99% isolated to 9mm. The Gen4 is what I would get without hesitation. On a side note, I looked at a regular G21 Gen3 last week. Love the gun. But, God, the grips on that thing are huge. I had to rotate my hand around on the grip to just barely have enough trigger reach.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    The biggest problem I recall for the G21 SF is a mag release failure causing the mag and other pieces to fall out. I've not seen any serious complaints about G21 Gen4. Reported Gen4 problems are 99% isolated to 9mm. The Gen4 is what I would get without hesitation. On a side note, I looked at a regular G21 Gen3 last week. Love the gun. But, God, the grips on that thing are huge. I had to rotate my hand around on the grip to just barely have enough trigger reach.

Yep, thats why I'm selling mine. Hate to sell a 100% reliable gun just to get an almost identical one with a slightly smaller grip, and probably lose $250 on the sale, but it probably needs to be done. And I have a lot of spare parts for the G21 Gen 3 :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom