• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    I was at the range a week ago and was running some mil-surp Korean loads through my Garand.

I had three FTF...dud primers. I figured it out that I had this particular can sitting on the concrete ground. Yeah I know, bad mojo on the storgae.

So I decided to take those rounds and break them down. I reload for the Garand and the Korean brass is excellent. Also, the Korean that I have is KA, which has corrosive primers, so it makes for good blasting ammo, but takes a bit more in the clean up dept.

Anyway last night I pulled the bullets and dumped the powder, and really didn't know how or what to do with the live primers. Should I pop them through the Garand? or what?

I dumped them into a bucket of water and let them sit for a few minutes, and then drained the water, put them into the vibrator and then resized them. No problems...so a few minutes in water will kill a primer. I had no problems with any primer going off during the resizing stage.

Just wanted to post this as an FYI.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I heard oil will make a primer safe.
    Soak them in oil.

May want to confirm with someone knows for sure.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Plastic straws or wax balls......have fun.

Fire off all the primers one at a time with the straws or balls in the case/barrel and shoot the plastic straws or wax balls to plink indoors with. :D
    Never tried it, but there used to be items sold for .45 ACP that were primer only fired for target practice. With one you loaded a plastic or rubber bullet in the case and it shot at a few hundred feet per second (if that) or enough to knock an empty can over. Another was a light dart you slid down the barrel. I always wanted to try them out.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Plastic straws or wax balls......have fun.

Fire off all the primers one at a time with the straws or balls in the case/barrel and shoot the plastic straws or wax balls to plink indoors with. :D
    Never tried it, but there used to be items sold for .45 ACP that were primer only fired for target practice. With one you loaded a plastic or rubber bullet in the case and it shot at a few hundred feet per second (if that) or enough to knock an empty can over. Another was a light dart you slid down the barrel. I always wanted to try them out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=489581

i may have to pick a few up and have somone load em out for me.

sounds great for a rainy day inside :thumbsup:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=489581

i may have to pick a few up and have somone load em out for me.

sounds great for a rainy day inside :thumbsup:
    I haven't seen those for years....thanks for finding that. :thumbsup:

I may have to buy some too. Reloading is easy and cheap with the Lee Loader. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...370101&cm_ite=0003091210526a&_requestid=33630

I suggest a separate hand primer though because putting primers in with the Lee Loader can be a bit.....interesting. :innocent0

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    I put some of that through my garand. I cleaned it when I got home and didn't have any problems. Didn't know it was corrosive when I bought it.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    I haven't seen those for years....thanks for finding that. :thumbsup:

I may have to buy some too. Reloading is easy and cheap with the Lee Loader. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...370101&cm_ite=0003091210526a&_requestid=33630

I suggest a separate hand primer though because putting primers in with the Lee Loader can be a bit.....interesting. :innocent0

i may have to pick one of those up for a few calibers.. seems like a cheaper alternative but by time i buy a bunch for all the calibers i have, i couldv'r bought a single stage press kit.

seems nice if you don't shoot alot though. and would be good for those days i don't have school and need somthing to do.

Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    I put some of that through my garand. I cleaned it when I got home and didn't have any problems. Didn't know it was corrosive when I bought it.

Not all Korean is corrosive. If it's headstamped KA, then it's corrosive...PS is clean.

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    it was the KA headstamp, Asked when I bought it and was told that it was non-corrosive.
    Any reason not to use the cases for reloading?

Pyramid

MDS Supporter
    Sep 27, 2008
    AACO
    i may have to pick one of those up for a few calibers.. seems like a cheaper alternative but by time i buy a bunch for all the calibers i have, i couldv'r bought a single stage press kit.

seems nice if you don't shoot alot though. and would be good for those days i don't have school and need somthing to do.

Have a look at the Lee Hand Press. Great for portable reloading and uses the same shell holders and dies as standard reloading presses.

I had a few Lee Loaders for portability and got rid of them, to much trouble to use.

Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    it was the KA headstamp, Asked when I bought it and was told that it was non-corrosive.
    Any reason not to use the cases for reloading?

KA is good blasting ammo. Make sure when you go to the range that you take a bottle of Windex with you. After you're finished them spray liberally into chamber, barrel and bolt group. The Windex neutralizes those corrosive salts from the primers. The KA brass is very good for reloading.

I have about another 500 or so rounds of KA to shoot up. I just finished up with almost 600 rounds of KA case prep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom