• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    With everything that's been happening here in MD recently- the massive turn outs on the 6th and the 1st, and overwhelming opposition to O'Malley's scheme- what do you think the future of 2A issues in Maryland will be like?

It seems to me like a lot of people are starting to wake up, but will it last? Will there be 3,000 people at the next open holster rally? Are people going to stay vocal after this session, or are they just going to high-five each other after this is over and go back to sleep? I suspect we will always be fighting wanna-be dictators and the "save-me-from-myself" sheep & low information voters, but is this a turning point for the 2A in Maryland, or is it a peak?

Thoughts?

Its what we will make it. Open holtster rally?
    Who knows. Why not make work on tighter organisation in time for the next election..MSI can not be the only focus of our activities..

This is how we leverage the momentum.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I've mentioned it a couple of times and I think it bears repeating. Just like motorcycles in the 80's, I think that the gun culture is becoming more mainstream. When Malcolm Forbes came out as a biker, at first everyone looked at him like he was crazy. Within five years, owning a Harley became cool. By the mid 90's, riding a HOG became as much of a status symbol for attorneys as a Ferrari used to.

The AR has become the new Harley, and as long as we promote safety, rule of law, and openness of our community (inviting antis to the range) I think we have a great chance of keeping the momentum going.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I couldn't look myself in the eye in the mirror for a while after I did, but I know it's for a greater good. We're going to have to get our hands dirty if we want to change anything.

codefive

Jun 9, 2012
    I've been very reluctant to follow the many of you and become a registered democrate. But I've read many arguments for it here, and I can't help but think, "if you can't beat them, join them."

You may have convinced me.

You are not joining them because you could not beat them ...
    You are joining them so you CAN beat them.
    Its much different and you need to see it in that light. ;)

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I've been very reluctant to follow the many of you and become a registered democrate. But I've read many arguments for it here, and I can't help but think, "if you can't beat them, join them."

You may have convinced me.

I'm all for doing it, but be it good, bad, or indifferent, I'm in Pasadena and with the exception of US Congress and Senate, all of my representatives are R's. if I thought it would make a difference with removing Sarbanes from Congress it would be worth it. I just don't know if he's vulnerable enough in a primary.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    You are not joining them because you could not beat them ...
    You are joining them so you CAN beat them.
    Its much different and you need to see it in that light. ;)

There are enough RINO's out there, why can't we get a couple of DINO's? If I thought I could raise enough money and win, I would have no issue or guilty conscience at all running against Sarbanes as a Democrat. It would also be a genius of an idea to slowly promote self reliance to otherwise closed off populations like inner city.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    In all seriousness, think about what happened with the Maryland Senate race... Bongino was a fantastic candidate and actually stood a chance against Cardin. But then that supposedly "moderate" douchewagon who was probably a liberal plant comes out of no where and siphons off votes that could have gone to Bongino. Yet here in Maryland some Democrats always run unopposed in certain areas. Why can't we do that to them for a change, especially in the primaries?

rob32

Jul 3, 2011
    salisbury, md
    We have no 2a rights here in Maryland. Our right to bear arms hasn't just been infringed upon, it's been almost completely eradicated. Not only can we not carry a firearm on our person, we have to be damn careful just transporting them in our car. All the while, our government can continue to push more unconstitutional laws that take away what's left of our rights. As to our future, unless something changes, it's pretty bleak.

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    Bleak

We have no 2a rights here in Maryland. Our right to bear arms hasn't just been infringed upon, it's been almost completely eradicated. Not only can we not carry a firearm on our person, we have to be damn careful just transporting them in our car. All the while, our government can continue to push more unconstitutional laws that take away what's left of our rights. As to our future, unless something changes, it's pretty bleak.

This is probably the same feeling the boys back in the 1700's felt before their SHTF.

HICAPMAG

Mar 2, 2013
    Montgomery County

Yes, it looks bleak now but this is only one battle in a long war. I have no illusions about our chances of beating back the gun grab law in the Peoples Republic of Maryland. The best we are likely to do is chip around the edges. The next battles will be in the courts and at the ballot box.

We are winning in the courts. The right to bear arms has been declared a fundamental right in Heller which is fully applicable to the states. All of these laws which infringe on that right will be subject to strict scrutiny. The most recent victory over Maryland's restrictive concealed carry law is the wave of the future.

At the ballot box, electing Republicans is an uphill battle. Our better chance is vigorously supporting pro-2nd Amendment Democrats through the DINO project. We also need to continue to make our voices heard. Politicians will take notice. Finally, I think the suggestions for more reach out activities with non-shooters is spot on. There is a LOT of interest right now. Take a non-shooting friend to the range. We can double our numbers with just this one exercise. :beer:

Goateggs

Jan 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    In all seriousness, think about what happened with the Maryland Senate race... Bongino was a fantastic candidate and actually stood a chance against Cardin. But then that supposedly "moderate" douchewagon who was probably a liberal plant comes out of no where and siphons off votes that could have gone to Bongino. Yet here in Maryland some Democrats always run unopposed in certain areas. Why can't we do that to them for a change, especially in the primaries?

Actually, Sobhani didn't quite come out of nowhere. He had run unsuccessfully in the Republican primary for Senate twice before. I think he's probably less a liberal plant and more a Ross Perot Lite -- a guy with a big ego and a big checkbook who decided it would be more fun to spend $6 million on a soapbox than on a new BMW or his trophy wife.

I hope Bongino isn't done with Maryland politics. I liked him a lot and contributed to his campaign. Between the presidential race and that indy goofball, though, the stars certainly did not align for him in 2012.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    I want the eastern shore to secede. Then all the rest of the normal counties to do the same. Let them have the 95 corridor. It'll be the most expensive, crime filled, miserable state in the nation. Besides New Jersey.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Something that gives me some hope: I work in a high tech company. A lot of the folks know zero about guns. My manager is pretty conservative, but I don't think he's given the gun issue two thoughts in 10 years. When I've talked about going shooting he's asked about crossing state lines, and if all my guns were registered. When I told him I was taking off last Friday to go to Annapolis I expected some good natured ribbing (which I got). But before I could even start into the specifics of the law and why I was so pissed, he just shook his head and said "It's all BS, gun control isn't going to stop crime or psychos."

A lady I work with who is recently single and living alone who is pretty fiscally conservative, but socially liberal. She mentioned the other day that she's thinking about a gun for home protection and was asking me opinions on types, training, etc...etc...

So, it's just more proof to me that O'Malley's 85% is fictional....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom