• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    Started to strip my Romy G wood today. What a PITA! Not sure what they seal it with, but the crap is literally like plastic. Probably used half of a quart of stripper so far and I'm not done yet. Close though, one more stripping session, then a little sanding. Finish up with some RIT dye and clear coat.

Bought a 'GunThings' Romy G Kit. Much nicer than I thought originally. Wood is nice, needs refinish, but is not tore up or dinged. Metal and bore are actually pretty good. Can't wait to get a receiver and finish my build.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Started to strip my Romy G wood today. What a PITA! Not sure what they seal it with, but the crap is literally like plastic. Probably used half of a quart of stripper so far and I'm not done yet. Close though, one more stripping session, then a little sanding. Finish up with some RIT dye and clear coat.

Bought a 'GunThings' Romy G Kit. Much nicer than I thought originally. Wood is nice, needs refinish, but is not tore up or dinged. Metal and bore are actually pretty good. Can't wait to get a receiver and finish my build.

Told ya!!

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Yeah- I'm not into the "rescue" versions of the AK's :innocent0:D

But that's the whole reason I got into this...

Started with restoring U.S. Service Rifles, and then trying to bring some craftmanship into the others.

building a rifle from scratch (almost) seemed the next logical step. I thought an AK would be the easiest....If I Knew better I would have started with the FAL's.... The cost more but are much easier to build and prettier as well....

mdjamesd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Towson
    If you aren't finished stripping the furniture yet, there is a product called Circa 1800, that is just about the strongest chemical stripper that you can get easily.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    If you aren't finished stripping the furniture yet, there is a product called Circa 1800, that is just about the strongest chemical stripper that you can get easily.

I'm just about done. Will finish with what I started with, but will look for 'Circa 1800' for my next. The big problem is most gloves don't stand up to "good" strippers and your hands get burned too easily.

tpy77

Ultimate Member
    Sep 27, 2007
    P.G. Co.
    I was told that, SUPPOSEDLY, this was just a heavy coat of shellac and that all it needed was something like denatured alcohol to strip. Have not done that but tried the old reliable method of stove cleaner. Doesn't work that great, but have combined with steel wool and heavy grit [100] garnet paper and made at least SOME headway. If anyone goes the alcohol rout let us know what happens. Stove cleaner will strip paint, so I wonder what this coating is; possibly polyurethane?? I'm told it's shellac on another forum, but wonder.

slayr15

Avtomat Klashnikov Member
    i have used bix stripper for stripping it is designed for epoxy removal but it works like a champ for tough wood stripping . the stuff is powerful and will melt plastic and remove car paint(dont ask me how i know:sign07:) heavy stripping gloves are a must . you can get it at home depo in the paint section.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I was told that, SUPPOSEDLY, this was just a heavy coat of shellac and that all it needed was something like denatured alcohol to strip. Have not done that but tried the old reliable method of stove cleaner. Doesn't work that great, but have combined with steel wool and heavy grit [100] garnet paper and made at least SOME headway. If anyone goes the alcohol rout let us know what happens. Stove cleaner will strip paint, so I wonder what this coating is; possibly polyurethane?? I'm told it's shellac on another forum, but wonder.

.....it's Romania- The coating is probably some concoction of old vodka and spit left to cure in the sun.........:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom