• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcarpenter

Apr 29, 2012
    Westminster
    Went to Hap Baker today. Sighted in my pre-October AR by me and a friend slowly putting 120 rounds through it - 5 at a time. Beautiful weather. Just a few people there and the typical friendly helpful RSOs. Got the azmith right but we couldn't figure out how to do the elevation of the Mag-Pul iron sights. Guess I got some homework to do. Fun day. Probably will take another 120 rounds to get the vertical, at least.

John C

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The front sight post should screw up and down for elevation adjustments.

There should be little notches at 0-90-180-270 for a bullet tip or a sight tool to fit into.

jcarpenter

Apr 29, 2012
    Westminster
    Yeah, I was trying to use my fingernail but that wasn't cutting it. Didn't think of the bullet tip and didn't have a tool that fit. No problem as it just means I gotta go back and shoot again. Oh darn. heh heh. Hap is a really nice place to shoot.

John C

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    Heh, I was at Hap today. Love going there. Had my son with me, shot rifle for a bit and then went over to the pistol range. Good times!

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    newq. Thanks for sharing the targets. I'll pay it forward to someone else or in return if the chance arises. It looked like you and son were having some good shooting time together. OP: The military keeps simple framing nails at the shooting positions when zeroing weapons. The nail work very well in turning the front sight post. I think the tool to do it keeps the finish from getting scratched better though.

1874sharpsshooter

Feb 1, 2009
    cape coral, florida
    Yeah, I was trying to use my fingernail but that wasn't cutting it. Didn't think of the bullet tip and didn't have a tool that fit. No problem as it just means I gotta go back and shoot again. Oh darn. heh heh. Hap is a really nice place to shoot.

John C

glad you had a good time, we have the sight tool that you need just ask the RSO

jcarpenter

Apr 29, 2012
    Westminster
    Paperpounder...no problem. I was kinda tense when I started as this was first time shooting the rifle except for a few test shots when Bollingers checked out my build for me. Actually first time on a rifle in twenty years for me. It was a beautiful hot day. The tempo was kind of slow and lazy and I really enjoyed my self. I probably got some of your brass as I picked up that corner when I left. Who knows maybe I will reload someday.

John C

newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    newq. Thanks for sharing the targets. I'll pay it forward to someone else or in return if the chance arises. It looked like you and son were having some good shooting time together. OP: The military keeps simple framing nails at the shooting positions when zeroing weapons. The nail work very well in turning the front sight post. I think the tool to do it keeps the finish from getting scratched better though.

Hey no problem man glad you will pay it forward. We all have to look out for one another. Like it or not we all need each other to ensure our rights remain just that. Camaraderie is a big part of that. On a side note my son has come a long way with his pistol work. He tore the bullseye out of the target at 5 and 10 yards on the pistol range with his little beretta neos (its mine but we call it his because he is the primary shooter).

Is it wrong to envy his pistol work with a red dot when I cannot emulate it with open sights?:D

Paperpounder

Jan 12, 2011
    Hampstead, MD / NC
    Paperpounder...no problem. I was kinda tense when I started as this was first time shooting the rifle except for a few test shots when Bollingers checked out my build for me. Actually first time on a rifle in twenty years for me. It was a beautiful hot day. The tempo was kind of slow and lazy and I really enjoyed my self. I probably got some of your brass as I picked up that corner when I left. Who knows maybe I will reload someday.

John C

Cool man I was gonna ask if you wanted my brass, but you guys were in the zone calling out shots so I let it be. My extractor most deff works though too good it really tosses that brass. Any how good looking rifle you had I actually had a front sight adjustment tool on me should have asked lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I went for the first time today in order to supervise my wife's first 50 rounds of 9mm. After 14 years of marriage, two more of engagement plus dating before that, today was the very first time she ever shot a firearm of any kind...and I was quite proud of her. At 25', 41/50 on the paper, 21/50 in the black and two bullseyes. The RSO was very helpful and patient and had more friendly advice and encouragement to offer. The only shots missing the target were the ones she jerked the trigger on and dropped the muzzle in anticipation of recoil. I feel much more confident now in her ability to defend not only herself, but our two daughters who have already shot my .22LR and shown an affinity for marksmanship. I can't wait to go back and bring some of my other toys to play. Amazingly, I've lived in Carroll County for over 11 years and this was the first time I've visited Hap Baker other than to gander from a distance. Shame on me for always continuing to go to overcrowded Cresap(even though I like the place) primarily because of the whole landfill location thing.

Jul 13, 2014
    It is my favorite place to shoot. I love the friendly atmosphere. Much better than Cresap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom