• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Agreed, it is not controlling. The point is that MD MSP needs to look to federal law to see if the federal CO has arrest powers, just as the D.C. Circuit looked to federal law in deciding the LEOSA question in Duberry. The MSP is on very thin ice if they try to define the HQL exemption for LEOs differently than the way LEOs are defined for purposes of LEOSA.
    Ah, now I understand your point, yes agreed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Agreed, it is not controlling. The point is that MD MSP needs to look to federal law to see if the federal CO has arrest powers, just as the D.C. Circuit looked to federal law in deciding the LEOSA question in Duberry. The MSP is on very thin ice if they try to define the HQL exemption for LEOs differently than the way LEOs are defined for purposes of LEOSA.

Exactly! This is the point I'm trying to make although I may not have articulated it clearly and plainly enough. I've stated here what gives us arrest powers and it has been stated to the MSP licensing division. They seem to want to overlook that fact.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Exactly! This is the point I'm trying to make although I may not have articulated it clearly and plainly enough. I've stated here what gives us arrest powers and it has been stated to the MSP licensing division. They seem to want to overlook that fact.

Not giving legal advice here, but I am betting that the MSP will back down in a hurry if faced with a court challenge in state court.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Not giving legal advice here, but I am betting that the MSP will back down in a hurry if faced with a court challenge in state court.

I know you're not giving legal advice...I appreciate your input. I think it's all BS what they're pulling.Honestly, if this is let go, what other part of FSA2013 will they "review" and "determine" to mean something different? HBARs? AR/AK pistols? Possession of magazines over 10 rounds? People may say "Nah, they won't/can't do that because the law says so and so." Well the law says LEOs are exempt from having to have an HQL as well as it being on the MSP website, yet now they are interpreting it differently. And being hush hush about it is even more disturbing.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I know you're not giving legal advice...I appreciate your input. I think it's all BS what they're pulling.Honestly, if this is let go, what other part of FSA2013 will they "review" and "determine" to mean something different? HBARs? AR/AK pistols? Possession of magazines over 10 rounds? People may say "Nah, they won't/can't do that because the law says so and so." Well the law says LEOs are exempt from having to have an HQL as well as it being on the MSP website, yet now they are interpreting it differently. And being hush hush about it is even more disturbing.

Administrative agencies are generally as arbitrary as they think they can get away with. So, the answer is always the same: Don't let them get away with it.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Any suggestions for a lawyer? Since I have my HQL and don't have a standing in this, I guess can't file suit can I? I have a co worker who doesn't have HQL who is willing if need be.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Any suggestions for a lawyer? Since I have my HQL and don't have a standing in this, I guess can't file suit can I? I have a co worker who doesn't have HQL who is willing if need be.

Sure, Eric Schaefer in Frederick

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I'm curious as to what made someone go fishing for this re-interpretation in the first place.

Lemme guess... Frosh? Bloomberg? Bloomberg's state-level sock puppet? Mike and Mike?

Take your pick. This could be a trial balloon for the inevitable full-court revenge press in the MGA this coming Spring.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I just got off the phone with one of our union reps...wanted to fill her in on what was going on since she is a big 2A advocate. She informed me that a CO from Hazelton was told by a MSP trooper that if he was ever stopped while carrying a concealed firearm, that he'd be arrested. I don't know what that was all about, but its starting to look like I'm headed down a rabbit hole.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I just got off the phone with one of our union reps...wanted to fill her in on what was going on since she is a big 2A advocate. She informed me that a CO from Hazelton was told by a MSP trooper that if he was ever stopped while carrying a concealed firearm, that he'd be arrested. I don't know what that was all about, but its starting to look like I'm headed down a rabbit hole.
    Jump in brother. You face scarier crap than MSP shenanigans every day.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Why am I not surprised by this sad state of affairs?

Keep your chin up, I think this will smack MSP LD around a bit.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    My powers come from congress and I fall under LEOSA......nope HQL it was for me
    Yeah because they consider you local (never mind that DC is federal). But the BOP is clearly federal which makes even less sense than excluding MPD. MSP is really ridiculous at times.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah because they consider you local (never mind that DC is federal). But the BOP is clearly federal which makes even less sense than excluding MPD. MSP is really ridiculous at times.

Oh I understand the reasoning I'm just being a whining B***h :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom