• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I was trying to think of a way the other day to turn an AR into a rifle with a traditional stock. This thing is pretty fugly. I would really like to see someone reengineer the upper so there is no buffer tube

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I was wondering how long it would take to do exactly this. Looking at an older model FWB2602 thumbhole stock its seemed so simple. On that version the stock is carried by the grip. There is a little arm & bolt that attach it to the back of the receiver to make it a thumbhole but that could be done away with. (FWIW, later versions went to true pistol grips to make the grip more adjustable for angle and such.)

I've always wondered how exactly 'pistol grip' is defined by CA and others. If its a separate projection from the stock or is it defined by angle? Easy to build a stock w/o a separate projection just connect the buttstock to the bottom of the grip - sort of like the add on stocks to old lugers and browning hipowers (or the above listed fwb modification.)

Attachments

• IMG_1330.jpg
      IMG_1330.jpg
      29.7 KB · Views: 862
    • IMG_1328.jpg
      IMG_1328.jpg
      74.2 KB · Views: 800

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    I was trying to think of a way the other day to turn an AR into a rifle with a traditional stock. This thing is pretty fugly. I would really like to see someone reengineer the upper so there is no buffer tube
    Already out there The guy's name is Alan Zitta He started making AR pistols back in the late 80's Sold the right to some company Can't remember the name Now they make side folding AR'S GOOGLE IT He was featured in an AR book I had years ago

wesser1

Dec 19, 2012
    Havre de Grace
    You do know that the AR-15 platform is specifically banned by name under SB281, right? So there won't be a workaround to the law come Oct 1 as long as the lower is an AR-15 lower.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I would really like to see someone reengineer the upper so there is no buffer tube

Would require a completely different (shorter) BCG as it has to go somewhere as it recoils and loads the next round.

Since the 'arse end of a BCG is hollow, it could be drastically shortened and a plug added to maintain equivalent mass. The fwd assist would no longer work but thats not too big a deal. The shorter length would probably either require better tolerance of the upper or live w/ accelerated wear as it could rock/cock more as it cycled. Use something like a tungsten plug and also incorporate the buffer weight into the BCG and you could probably make it short enough to get a recoil spring fully inside the upper.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You do know that the AR-15 platform is specifically banned by name under SB281, right? So there won't be a workaround to the law come Oct 1 as long as the lower is an AR-15 lower.

Build a lower that has a stock built into it. Heck, just machine a lower out of a solid block of aluminum w/ an integrated (one-pc) buffer tube. Maybe even use a different grip attachment - maybe an integrated one that uses replaceable colt 1911 grip panels. Technically no longer an AR-15 lower. Just happens to use the same uppers;) Wonder how different you have to get to avoid the 'copycat' interpretation.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I wonder if this one has a lower lethality since it has less features. :innocent0

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    Already out there The guy's name is Alan Zitta He started making AR pistols back in the late 80's Sold the right to some company Can't remember the name Now they make side folding AR'S GOOGLE IT He was featured in an AR book I had years ago

Thanks, I looked him up. Pretty cool stuff he has, but pricey!

Would require a completely different (shorter) BCG as it has to go somewhere as it recoils and loads the next round.

Since the 'arse end of a BCG is hollow, it could be drastically shortened and a plug added to maintain equivalent mass. The fwd assist would no longer work but thats not too big a deal. The shorter length would probably either require better tolerance of the upper or live w/ accelerated wear as it could rock/cock more as it cycled. Use something like a tungsten plug and also incorporate the buffer weight into the BCG and you could probably make it short enough to get a recoil spring fully inside the upper.

Basically, exactly what I was thinking. THat Alan Zitta guy did basically what was in my head.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County

This. There's a huge opportunity to make AR-like lowers that wouldn't explicitly be banned because they're not exact copies.

Machine a billet lower with an integral receiver extension (a.k.a. buffer tube) out of the same piece of aluminum. You'd lose some flexibility because you'd have to pick rifle/carbine and milspec/commercial up front and can't change it. But you could potentially gain some strength, you'd never have to worry about your castle nut coming loose, and you'd maintain most (if not all) of your options for stocks, uppers, and grips.

Thoughts?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    This. There's a huge opportunity to make AR-like lowers that wouldn't explicitly be banned because they're not exact copies.

Machine a billet lower with an integral receiver extension (a.k.a. buffer tube) out of the same piece of aluminum. You'd lose some flexibility because you'd have to pick rifle/carbine and milspec/commercial up front and can't change it. But you could potentially gain some strength, you'd never have to worry about your castle nut coming loose, and you'd maintain most (if not all) of your options for stocks, uppers, and grips.

Thoughts?

Since the lower has almost no mechanism what would define it?

If it took an at upper and mag?.

Most likely we would need a new platform. But it could be just as modular I would think.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Since the lower has almost no mechanism what would define it?

If it took an at upper and mag?.

Most likely we would need a new platform. But it could be just as modular I would think.

I may be pulling this out of my ass, but I thought that there was a certain threshold on parts commonality. You'd be removing two parts entirely (buffer tube, end plate) and you'd have to rework the rear takedown pin detent spring (which is normally held in by the end plate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom