• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    My wife may be getting her first pistol in the next few months. I'm very much wanting for her to be able to take care of it herself but she hates the smell of most gun oils and cleaners. I've seen recently that some people use Frog Lube for their pistols and it's not a petroleum based lube so no nasty fumes and actually smells pretty nice. Do any of you use it for your sidearms and if so how do you like it? What are some things I/we need to know in implementing it?

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I use the Frog Lube paste and it works pretty well. I usually apply some to a brush like toothpaste and go from there. It smells like peppermint. I use Slip 2000 725 cleaner (which is also non-toxic, doesn't smell, and comes in a spray bottle) for most of the actual cleaning since it's easier to apply. But the Frog Lube goes on for the "LP" part of CLP. I also use Slip 2000 Carbon Killer for the bore. It's also non-toxic and smells like oranges. My bench smells like a delicious candy store.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Another good one to try is Gunzilla. Smells kind of like cheap whiskey and is non toxic.

HomerSimpson

Nov 30, 2008
    I use the Frog Lube paste and it works pretty well... But the Frog Lube goes on for the "LP" part of CLP. I also use Slip 2000 Carbon Killer for the bore. It's also non-toxic and smells like oranges. My bench smells like a delicious candy store.
    good info, been looking into the non-toxic cleaners... you don't hear too much about them (at least I don't)... are they expensive or hard to find? seems like something that's not stocked at the average LGS

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    The non toxic options are in the same price range as standard products, they're just a litlle harder to find locally. I ordered mine online since most LGS seem to only stock Hoppes, Remington, Tetra, and Breakfree products.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

EDIT: Forgot to add in that the Slip 2000 Carbon Killer is reusable. I didn't know that before I bought it. If I did, I would have bought more of it and a basin big enough to immerse pistol barrels.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I use froglube on all my pistols and am very happy with it's performance.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Try some G96. It smells like cinnamon. Froglube is ok, still hasnt convinced me its worth the price over Syn Motor Oil in regards to cost/performance ratio, but I am using some.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Try some G96. It smells like cinnamon. Froglube is ok, still hasnt convinced me its worth the price over Syn Motor Oil in regards to cost/performance ratio, but I am using some.

It won't give you cancer? How's that for a benefit?

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Where do you order your Froglube from? Their website doesn't show any local dealers.
    I got mine off Amazon.

I was wrong, unused motor oil isn't carcinogenic. It's minimally toxic and a mild skin irritant. The MSDS does recommend respiratory protection and medical attention may be required if it's inhaled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom