• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    Was that post about the .22 serious? I didn't see anyone with a 22, but I wasn't watching every shooter.

I didn't think they would have much effect on those targets - but I guess they wouldn't pass through as quickly as the higher power rounds.

PMKMD

Jul 13, 2010
    Was that post about the .22 serious? I didn't see anyone with a 22, but I wasn't watching every shooter.

I didn't think they would have much effect on those targets - but I guess they wouldn't pass through as quickly as the higher power rounds.

yes I was serious :lol2: I only did the 6pm shoot

Old Skool

Mar 7, 2010
    Parkville
    Thanks to everyone for coming to the First Ever FreeState Bowling Pin Shoot. And thanks to Doctor Bob for putting the match together and for scoring the match. The targets and frame got a bit shot up, but nothing fatal. The rig will be back in service in plenty of time for next week.

We will have the Second Ever Bowling Pin Shoot on May 18 at 6Pm 7PM and 8PM. The rules are the same: any handgun, any caliber any sight. Target distance is 50 Feet. Money for 1st, 2nd and 3rd fastest times.

Match One (6PM) Bragging Rights:
    1st Place - Chris C = 15.2 seconds
    2nd Place - Karen G = 41.9 Seconds
    3rd Place - Mike J = 51 seconds

Match Two (7PM) Bragging Rights:
    1st Place - Scott S = 26 seconds
    2nd Place - Bill F = 33.3 seconds
    3rd Place - Robert S = 45 seconds

Match Three (8PM) Bragging Rights:
    1st Place - Robert S = 22.5 seconds
    2nd Place - Scott S = 36 seconds
    3rd Place - Karen G = 38 seconds

Any suggestions on how to improve the shoot will be appreciated.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Match One (6PM) Bragging Rights: (out of 14 shooters)
    1st Place - Chris C = 15.2 seconds
    2nd Place - Karen G = 41.9 Seconds
    3rd Place - Mike J = 51 seconds
    14th Place - Maui = DNF :sad20:

:sad20::sad20:

Any suggestions on how to improve the shoot will be appreciated.

I saw a lot of frustrations with the targets not falling (including me)
    although it did give me an excuse b/c even if they did fall I wouldn't have hit all of them.

anyway to place something behind the target so it will have more resistance to those who don't own a .45ACP??

This is not for improvement but rather increase the fun. Have two stands same rules but first to knock all 5 pins down goes to next round... Loser goes home or to losers bracket.

Prizes: Other than money maybe offer 1st place more of the money and 2nd / 3rd discounts or gift cards to your shop. Maybe a discount on a year membership.

All in all I had a great time and I'll be back for more! Just need a .45 first.... :lol2:

Old Skool

Mar 7, 2010
    Parkville
    As many shooters noticed, sub 40 caliber bullets are marginal on these synthetic
    targets. There is not a reliable way to "reinforce" them so as to have them fall over
    with small caliber bullets. This was designed on purpose so as to mimic the difficulty
    encountered with real 10 pin targets. As you may know, those pin targets need to be knocked down, and off of the table, to qualify as being hit. The best round for a
    9mm is one with a heavy bullet (124 grain) and having a flat point. The slower the
    velocity, the better. A big bullet, going slow, is the best choice for reliable scoring.

The pins, bases, and wood are repaired for next weeks match. There will be some
    changes next week to help speed the change-over time between shooters. Hope to
    see a big crowd next Wednesday. Any questions or input concerning these events,
    please call us or reply to us in this forum.

Old Skool

adodson

Jun 12, 2007
    Towson, MD
    I'd say go with power-factors... or classes. That's how IPSC got around the whole "gear-race" thing. I shoot 9mm pretty much exclusively. Against steel plates that are calibrated to fall from 115 grain, that's not a problem. But put me against a guy shooting a .45 against bowling pins, then it turns into a gear-race that I will lose. Even though I have 124 grain loads pushing over a 130 power factor, the .45 still has me because it can clear the pins from the table (in addition to knocking them down).

Food for thought.

-Andy

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    but if you nip the tip with a .22lr wouldn't the fulcrum lever action amplify the amplitude of your flux capacitor resulting in a time traveling bowling pin? Or at the very least knock it on the floor?

PMKMD

Jul 13, 2010
    but if you nip the tip with a .22lr wouldn't the fulcrum lever action amplify the amplitude of your flux capacitor resulting in a time traveling bowling pin? Or at the very least knock it on the floor?

:D that must have been the reason I was able to knock them over

FreeState

Ultimate Member
    Oct 31, 2010
    White Marsh
    Thanks to everyone for coming to the FreeState Bowling Pin Shoot on May 18th. Thanks again to Doctor Bob for putting the match together.

Here are the results:

6PM Mach Bragging Rights:
    1st Place - Chris C = 15 seconds
    2nd Place - John H = 35 Seconds
    3rd Place - Darus C= 43 seconds

7PM Match Bragging Rights:
    1st Place - Chris C = 12 seconds
    2nd Place - John H = 19 seconds
    3rd Place - Sgt Preston = 25.5 seconds

We will hold a poker shoot on Wednesday, May 25. The goal of the match is to shoot the best poker hand at 25 yards. See competitive events for more detail.

1raggedhole

Feb 7, 2008
    Results, FreeState 1st Bowling Pin Match, May 11, 2011

Hey there, FreeState:
    How did I win $24 & not get mentioned for coming in 2nd place in 7PM Match? That would be "Dennis G", 7PM Match, 2nd Place, yes?

FreeState

Ultimate Member
    Oct 31, 2010
    White Marsh
    Hey there, FreeState:
    How did I win $24 & not get mentioned for coming in 2nd place in 7PM Match? That would be "Dennis G", 7PM Match, 2nd Place, yes?

The above results were for the May 18th shoot. Yes, you did win second place for the May 11th shoot.

Don't forget to come to the Log Splitting Shoot June 1st starting at 6PM and 7PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom