• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has had success hunting Rabbits, or just seeing rabbits in any particular local public hunting areas? If not rabbits, how about small ducks? I'm a Falconer, and I use to Fly my Red-Tail Hawk on the plethora of Rabbits over at Crumb- Land Farms a while ago, before " Senior living-Construction" occured, destroying the un-farmed and untouched lots that they had. If anyone knows of any private owners that have rabbits ,and may allow me to hunt my Bird of prey at those furballs send me an email or PM. I'd like to give them a call. I'll also be training a GosHawk this year and need to make sure he he has critters to kill before thinking he can have a go at me!

If all else fails... I'll be stuck on hunting crows.

fiddleandme.jpg

Thanks!

Chris.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Gotta say....probably the coolest way to hunt ever! Definitely post some pics of your hunts this season, would love to see them!

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    It's awesome! I keep saying one day, I'll give a go using my rifles or shotguns at a deer but never do. Oh and for reference purposes any land that pretty much looks like the picture above should be proper habitat... lots of tall grasses...brambles, briers, ect.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    This is so F-ing badass! I always read the section of the hunting guide about falconry hunting regulations because it just seems so interesting. Before I read that guide, I didn't think anyone hunted that way except for you know...like Genghis Khan and friends. PM sent.

salopez

Apr 11, 2011
    Mt airy Md
    willing to drive to woodbine? i havent had time to help my dad out. says he has 100's of bunnies eating his garden. plenty of open space, aprox 15 acres with total of 4 houses...

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Basically, you call DNR permits coordinator to request a application packet. In the packet you get all the laws, application, process, and list of local falconers and educational resources you'll need to get and know for an exam..
    Then you will need to...
    Call other general class or master class falconers, and ask them if they will sponsor your apprenticeship which last at least 2 years.
    After you find your sponsor, you send your application in with their signatures and then schedule to take a multiple choice exam in which you need to score at least an 80% to pass I believe. This exam covers Bird of prey husbandry, biology, and falconry terms and laws and history.
    Once this is done you need to have an indoor mew/shelter a d weathering/outdoor area which must have and meet specific requirements for housing a bird of prey. This as well as other requirements such as weight scales, waterbaths and perches are required and will be inspected by a DNR/ NRP officer. Then there's an application fee and permission for DNR to do annual random inspections....... and TaDa!! You can begin to become a falconer. As an apprentice you may only use a redtail hawk or American kestrel in maryland. Trapping your first juvenile hawk and training it is a large and fun part of the sport. If your not hunting though, your just a wild bird owner and not a falconer...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Isn't there a federal permit required to have raptors ? Or is that only for specific endangered species ?
    As of 2013 I believe, the feds and state voted to no longer have the sport regulated federally. the state does it all now. I use to have to keep a federal and state permit.

cswann

Sep 9, 2010
    Frederick MD
    Finding a sponsor...someone to be responsible for your actions for 2 years, advise and help you with trapping, hunting and training techniques was in my opinion the hardest part of getting your permit. He is not allowed to charge, but I have heard of sponsors wanting their "canidates" to hunt and follow them for a season or 2 before signing. This is to insure the candidate really knows what there getting in to and has what it takes...your sponsor can sign you off to go to the next class of falconer...general class after 2 seasons. This enables you to keep 2 birds of prey at once and opens the species list to a variety of true hawks, falcons and owls. Eagles require an additional eagle permit and special situations must occur to get one, as well. Some falconers also become breeders as well. The ability to purchase a captive bred, and or hybrid is now allowed as well as taking of an eyass chick from the nest. Master falconer status gives you another increase in allowed birds to have at one time. You must have been an active general class falconer for 4 years I believe before moving up to master.

Most states have falconry clubs. Maryland hast PFA ..Potomac falconer association, but isn't at all as active as other clubs such as Virginia and PA. NAFA ..North American falconer association would be the NRA of falconers.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Finding a sponsor...someone to be responsible for your actions for 2 years, advise and help you with trapping, hunting and training techniques was in my opinion the hardest part of getting your permit. He is not allowed to charge, but I have heard of sponsors wanting their "canidates" to hunt and follow them for a season or 2 before signing. This is to insure the candidate really knows what there getting in to and has what it takes...your sponsor can sign you off to go to the next class of falconer...general class after 2 seasons. This enables you to keep 2 birds of prey at once and opens the species list to a variety of true hawks, falcons and owls. Eagles require an additional eagle permit and special situations must occur to get one, as well. Some falconers also become breeders as well. The ability to purchase a captive bred, and or hybrid is now allowed as well as taking of an eyass chick from the nest. Master falconer status gives you another increase in allowed birds to have at one time. You must have been an active general class falconer for 4 years I believe before moving up to master.

Sounds like they took their cues from HAM radio licensing.

A great committment for sure, kudos for doing all that.

Can your bird hunt resident canada goose chicks ? Plenty of those around right now.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Lol I got my ham too. I only use it to buy and use thevideo TX /Rx needed to fly my drones on 1.3ghz. That was a sinch. As far as geese. I've heard and seen video of goshawks taking them down
    https://youtu.be/k5b2vZAlDDE

And my favorite... falconer takes deer...with his eagle.

https://youtu.be/Adfk_RSndb4

HOLLLLYYYYY SHHHHHHlTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS AMAZING!

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Friends just saw their little wiener dog dragged away by a (wild) raptor. Bird got spooked by the barking prey and left him in the neighbors yard. A couple of skin punctures from the claws, lots of stitches at the vets.
    Amazing animals !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom