• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    Modern 870s are not well fit or finished. Nothing you do will keep that gun from rusting unless you get water transfer, marinecoat/nickle, or a spray on finish on it like ceramic cote.

Hi Clandestine, been waiting for you to arrive. :)

Is there anything you can recommend I should do in the short term that has not been mentioned already in the thread?

I do think I have decided to get some form of refinishing as well, I guess I am debating between nickle finish or cerakote... pros and cons?

Your time is appreciated. :thumbsup:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Nickle can still crap the bed, Clandestine can elaborate.

I'd personally opt for cerakote.

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA

I've been leaning towards Cerakote, just need to find someone around Washington County to do it. Money is tight but I'll just sell my Hi-Point to fund it. :innocent0

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I couldn't say which would be the best option, most of my guns are still wearing the original finish (or at least most of it anyways).

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hi Clandestine, been waiting for you to arrive. :)

Is there anything you can recommend I should do in the short term that has not been mentioned already in the thread?

I do think I have decided to get some form of refinishing as well, I guess I am debating between nickle finish or cerakote... pros and cons?

Your time is appreciated. :thumbsup:

Wash it off with soap and water. The chemicals from Parkerizing or the Blueing is whats causing the rust to continue. Only a water based chemical such as MPRO7 or water or a water/ ballistol mix wilk flush it away. The metal is also very porus and allows moisture to collect and rust.

After washing it off with Hot Water use a hair dryer to make the water evaporate. There is a rishk of flash surface rust doing it like this though. Apply Birchwood Casey Barricade or Eezox immediately. ( Be sure you got ALL of the water before applying those protectants or the water will suspend and continue corrosion)

If you use Ballistol/Water mix you should still dry it off but it wont flash rust because oil is on the surface as the water evaporates/ cooks off. You can then apply Barricade or Eezox.

You can use MPRO7 and not risk flash rust but you still want to make sure it evaporated befor appplying lube or protectant.

I garee with Bradmacc, nickle isnt optimal. Ceramic Coat will be the toughest finish for the price.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    We have had a lot of guns come through the shop for Cerakoting, have been impressed so far. We're the only certified applicators in MD that work on firearms, shipping here is an option if you're not up for the drive to and from Taneytown :) Besides, our prices are reasonable.

They definitely took care of my beat to hell 870 :party29: I highly recommend having Bollingers cerakote it.

krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    We have had a lot of guns come through the shop for Cerakoting, have been impressed so far. We're the only certified applicators in MD that work on firearms, shipping here is an option if you're not up for the drive to and from Taneytown :) Besides, our prices are reasonable.

I would be driving there if my car weren't leaking engine coolant! Whenever I get my travel situation straightened out I'll definitely come up for a visit! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom