• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Also, for name, address, etc for the letters, is it complete mailing address or just city/county? It doesn't matter; I just want it right. I reckon full mailing address covers all bases and lets the folks in the black SUVs find me easier. :D Oh wait, this is Maryland - substitute "black smartcars" for "black SUVs."

Your name as it appears on your voter registration and your district are sufficient.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'll dust off my keyboard and get back to work then.

Trying to convey meaning, and tone using a white screen and black text does not work at times.

As for needing a nap: What I need is for this State to get it's boot off the back of our necks. It goes so much deeper than just gun control. They are doing us harm at every turn.

Couldn't agree more, glad to have ya. As I have always stated after a remark or idea, "questions, comments, small stones, large boulders?" I have learned to take them all and make corrections as necessary.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Phone be ringing now..........voicemail.

You have reached the Office of Delegate Smigiel, the Office is currently closed do to inclement weather and re-open on Tuesday March4. Please press 1 to leave a message for Delegate Smigiel. Please press 2 to leave a message for the ever awesome Chief of Staff, Andi Morony. Please press 3 to leave a message for the awesome Duputy Chief of Staff, Alex Shull. Please press 4 to leave a message for the Senior Advisor and head Smart ass, Dan Blasberg. Please press 5 to leave a message for the lead gopher and all around Marine, Mike Doherty. Please press 6 to leave a message for the Director of Social Media, Ben Cushwaw. Please press 7 to go to the general voice mail. Thank you for calling Delegate Mike Smigiel's Office, we hope you have a good day.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    If that's what it says, I might just call for the giggle factor... I need a chuckle today.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    You have reached the Office of Delegate Smigiel, the Office is currently closed do to inclement weather and re-open on Tuesday March4. Please press 1 to leave a message for Delegate Smigiel. Please press 2 to leave a message for the ever awesome Chief of Staff, Andi Morony. Please press 3 to leave a message for the awesome Duputy Chief of Staff, Alex Shull. Please press 4 to leave a message for the Senior Advisor and head Smart ass, Dan Blasberg. Please press 5 to leave a message for the lead gopher and all around Marine, Mike Doherty. Please press 6 to leave a message for the Director of Social Media, Ben Cushwaw. Please press 7 to go to the general voice mail. Thank you for calling Delegate Mike Smigiel's Office, we hope you have a good day.

You are sooo full of ca-ca, But funny!!!!
    Would you not agree that Bolts should be on a panel? Especially if you read his testimony on this.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    I am working on my letters and am missing something. The great testimony by Sarah Merkell (SP-?) last year included concerns she had about taking her AR to an out-of-state competition and then not be "allowed" to bring it home. Is that part of the law or was an exception carved out for out-of-state competitions?

As far as I know, there are no specific carve outs for a Maryland resident to take a EBR out of state and return. Again, as far as I know, there is no specific prohibition against doing so, since there is no transfer of ownership. Also most ARs used in target competition are HBARs and thus exempt from FSA 2013.

There are a couple of bills (HB 122 and HB 997) coming up for the hearing which would make life easier and saner for both in state and out of state competitors.

Also, for name, address, etc for the letters, is it complete mailing address or just city/county? It doesn't matter; I just want it right. I reckon full mailing address covers all bases and lets the folks in the black SUVs find me easier. :D Oh wait, this is Maryland - substitute "black smartcars" for "black SUVs."

The black SUVs will use Delegate Conaway's HB 115 GPS tracking to locate you, your rifles, and perhaps your dog. Using your full address makes it easier for the legicritters to know which district you are in for voting.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    iH8DemLibz
    Parkville, Maryland 21234
    District 42A

Testimony to the House Judiciary Committee in Support of HB-1005.

Handgun Permit Requirements-Retired Military.

March 1, 2014

I am a registered Democrat from Parkville, Maryland. As a once, proud member of the United States Navy, I was afforded many opportunities to train with and carry a wide variety of military arms.

I received extensive training with the following weapons: M-14 rifle, M-16 rifle, Mossberg shotgun, Remington shotgun, Smith & Wesson revolver, and the Colt 1911 semi-automatic pistol. The proficiency I gained while qualifying with these firearms earned me the Navy Expert Rifleman Medal, the Navy Expert Pistol Shot Medal, and the Combat Efficiency (Battle-E) Ribbon while serving in USS Taylor FFG-50.

While stationed at the Shore Intermediate Maintenance Activity (SIMA) in Charleston, South Carolina, I was attached to an Auxiliary Security Force. This unit was commanded and run by a dedicated group of United States Marines that were attached to the base. While serving with this unit, I received both static and dynamic weapons training. The static training was basically standing at a firing line while engaging stationary targets that were placed down range. The dynamic training was much more interesting. With dynamic training, we were taught to advance on our targets using simulated buildings and other objects that served as both cover and concealment. We would fire until the weapon’s magazine or cylinder was empty, exchange an empty magazine for a full one, and continue our advance on the targets. The most demanding form of training I received were the paper hostage and the steel pepper-popper hostage scenarios which took place inside actual school buses. During this training, hostage takers were only partially visible behind the hostages. We had to engage, with live ammunition, the bad guys without hitting the children.

To subject retired military members to additional firearms training is not only redundancy in the extreme, it is also quite insulting. Many retired and ex-military members received training which is in-line with or exceeds current law enforcement training.

Here is a line from one of my favorite movies. “Gentleman never parade their military achievements”. I rarely speak of my service in the Navy. In this case, I deemed it warranted.

For the reasons outlined above, I ask that Maryland Citizens be allowed to benefit from their years of service and dedication to The United States of America.

I am in full Support of HB-1005 and I respectfully request a Favorable report from this committee.

Thank you.

IH8DemLibz
    Machinery Repairman First Class-(E-6)
    United States Navy, Retired

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    HB 36 - in support

Dear Delegates,

A vote against this bill arguably sends the message to Maryland residents that their lives, and their overall safety for that matter, are not worth protecting. Currently, carry permits are being denied when the “good and substantial” reason for the application is self-defense. Passage of this bill would remove that requirement.

It is my understanding that court decisions have found that Police are not required to protect my family or me. Although I am sure they can and do protect where possible, the reality is that they can never be the very first line of defense for us. I am forever grateful for the sacrifices police, including the Maryland State Police, make to keep the “bad guys” from doing harm to the “good guys”. Being that criminals are not going to obey the permit law as it stands today, I see where that law only stands to put the law-abiding citizens of Maryland at a significant disadvantage. Furthermore, that disadvantage is greatest for those who arguably are in the most need of protection – those smaller in size, and those who have limited fighting skills. Please keep in mind that passing this bill most greatly assists those who have the greatest need for assistance.

I would also like to make mention of the current Federal Circuit Court split with regards to carrying weapons outside the home. Most notably, please review the Peruta V The County of San Diego case.

In closing, I would like to add that the 2nd amendment calls out two separate rights:
    1. The right to keep arms.
    2. The right to bear arms.
    I have yet to hear a good argument that the latter is meant to be just inside the walls of a home.

I respectfully request that you give this bill a favorable report.

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You are sooo full of ca-ca, But funny!!!!
    Would you not agree that Bolts should be on a panel? Especially if you read his testimony on this.

Wanna know a secret, we have been working with BR to make sure he has the time he needs for show and tell since at least Wednesday.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Printing out 210 separate pages and then joining them together is not fun.

Even on a cold as crap, stuck inside, snow day.

I feel for those in Mr. Smigiel's office.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Anyone know what time the Senate building allows the common class to enter?

Also, what time the shuttle starts its run from the stadium in the morning?

Please be accurate. 6 degrees is a little on the chilly side.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Before I start my printer to smokin', could I please get a little feedback on my contribution for tomorrow? Please be civil and , yes, I did borrow some from others with minor changes with my John Hancock attached. Thank you in advance.

PS... This looks much better on paper.

Testimony to the House Judiciary Committee

In Favor of HB 36

Members of the Judiciary Committee

Maryland's restrictive handgun laws require that a law-abiding citizen give a "good and substantial" reason to wear and carry a handgun. For this purpose, the term "good and substantial" has NO definition in any Maryland state law or COMAR. The term "good and substantial" being totally ambiguous, leaves its complete interpretation to the Maryland State Police with no impunity.

I respectfully request a FAVORABLE report on HB 36.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opposed to HB 42

Unlike many states in the U.S., Maryland places an inordinate amount of obstacles in the way of law-abiding citizen to exercise their rights and freedoms given by our Creator and the U.S. Constitution. The right for ordinary citizens to keep and bear arms against a would-be attacker is already being infringed upon by the 7 day waiting period. As seen in the recent past, giving the Maryland State Police this "authority" could delay that right without end. Put plain and simple, a right delayed is a right denied. Maryland is no safer because it elects to check 17 databases for a background check. Most states use the FBIs NICS system which takes no more than 5 minutes. Maryland could do the same.

I respectfully request an UNFAVORABLE report on HB 42.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opposed to HB 94

The United States Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988 (18 U.S.C. § 922(p)) makes it illegal to manufacture, import, sell, ship, deliver, possess, transfer, or receive any firearm that is not as detectable by walk-through metal detection as a security exemplar containing 3.7 oz of steel, or any firearm with major components that do not generate an accurate image before standard airport imaging technology.

It is not necessary to make something that is already illegal... MORE illegal.

I respectfully request an UNFAVORABLE report on HB 94

Opposed to HB 115

Firearms and Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) Devices

Members of the House Judiciary Committee

In United States v. Jones, 132 S. Ct. 945, 2012 U.S. LEXIS 1063 (Jan. 23,2012)* a unanimous Supreme Court held the authorities
    violated the Fourth Amendment when they attached a GPS device to a car and tracked its movements.*

The same rationale would apply to tracking any firearm by attaching a tracking device without probable cause.

I respectfully request an UNFAVORABLE report on HB 115

In Favor of HB 521

Although I opposed the Firearms Safety Act of 2013, the Handgun Qualification License requirements that were passed into law last year are consistent with and surpass many states concealed carry requirements as well as Maryland's own. By paying the "tax" to own(keep) a firearm, which is all the HQL is, and by it's vetting process, law-abiding citizens should be able to wear and carry(bear) a firearm for self protection.

I respectfully request a FAVORABLE report on HB 521.

In Favor of HB 715

Members of the House Judiciary Committee

In as much as the Maryland State Police has made it publicly known that the Md. Integrated Ballistics Information System or "fired shell casing" system has been dismantled, I believe that there is no longer a valid excuse for this law to remain in effect. Not to mention, this scheme has never solved a crime and that all other states that tried this scheme, have now discontinued as they, too, have found similar results. Taken one step further, I believe there should be an inquiry as to the possible misappropriation of funds to a system that may have been a burden on the taxpayer even beyond the system's serviceability.

The following excerpt is from the March 2005 edition of American Rifleman magazine page 71. It is presently March 2014.

"State Police Call For Shutting Down Maryland’s Ballistic “Fingerprinting” System”

The Maryland State Police Forensic Sciences Division has called for scrapping the state’s ballistic- imaging program, the Maryland Integrated Ballistics Identification System (MD- IBIS), stating it has found the system to be an ineffective tool for law enforcement.
    The program has cost the taxpayers of Maryland more than $2.5 million, but has produced no results. “There have been no crime investigations that have been enhanced or expedited through the use of MD-IBIS,” the report says. “The program simply has not met the expectations and does not aid in the Mission statement of the Department of State Police?"
    "The report concludes that MD-IBIS “has not proven to be a time saving tool for the Firearms Examiner or an investigative enhancement to the criminal investigator. It has simply failed in the Mission and Vision concepts originally established for the Program."

I respectfully request a FAVORABLE report on HB 715

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Favor of HB 818

A licensed firearm dealer's point of sale is where the FBIs NICS check should take place for both long guns and hand guns. This gives the selling dealer an immediate course of action. If the dealer receives a "proceed", the dealer knows that an instant check of the purchaser's background is "clean". Otherwise, a "delay" or "deny", means the NICS system has found that the purchaser's information needs further review or the purchaser is banned from purchasing firearms. Placing the NICS check at the point of sale will prevent the backlog of applicants currently delayed in the Maryland State Police Licensing Division. It would also lessen the likelihood of the MSP having to retrieve timely-transferred firearms from "disapproved" applicants.

I respectfully request a FAVORABLE report on HB 818

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Favor of HB 919

A Law Enforcement Officer that has retired in good standing deserves the utmost respect for the sacrifice he/she has given in their service to the public. Retired LEO command the respect of having the right to carry and not just in certain places. Their oath was to serve, protect and to uphold the Constitution. I am certain that oath did not stop when they were handed their retirement watch. On a personal note, I, myself would be relieved to know that ANY active or retired LEO in good standing was carrying in the school that my children or grandchildren were attending. Their safety is paramount above all others, including my own. That school becomes a "gun free zone" with a leg-up on anyone intent on doing harm to it's occupants.

I respectfully request a FAVORABLE report on HB 919

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Anyone know what time the Senate building allows the common class to enter?

Also, what time the shuttle starts its run from the stadium in the morning?

Please be accurate. 6 degrees is a little on the chilly side.

Good questions...

Shuttle info here: http://dls.state.md.us/data/tabs/vis/MapOfAnnapolis.pdf

A. NAVY-MARINE CORPS MEMORIAL STADIUM
    Public Parking lot entrance, Gate #5, Taylor Avenue. Daily flat fee. The Trolley Shuttle runs to Annapolis Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. at 20 minute intervals. Saturday and Sunday service, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. No service on State holidays unless the General Assembly is in session. Trolley service costs $2.00.

The hearing is in the House building - across the street from the Senate building.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom