• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldmarylander

Jun 25, 2013
    The process of obtaining a suppressor is a huge pain in the ass, for what? They are easy to obtain on the black market, and that is the way that criminals will go every time.

I technically own 2 suppressors. One .45 caliber, and one .22, but the .22 is part of a complete upper. I really didn't have a good reason for the .45, it was, more of a because I can thing. I had the ruger .22 custom made for semi-suburban groundhogs.

The extra $200 is just enough to piss you off, and there sure is a lot of mark up on the dealer & manufacturer side, I'm sure a lot of that goes to cover the cost of over regulation. And again, what is the point?

As for this particular story, it just goes to show, infringements are the norm. There was nothing about this story that suggested that he did anything illegal, other than possess a suppressor (more like an oil filter with a hex nut) without NFA paperwork. My bet is that most people probably don't even know that making a home made suppressor is illegal.

OMA

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    When's the last time a gun with a suppressor was used in a crime?

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

It's just a story about another guy who obviously knew the law...

BUT decided that it didn't apply to him...

"You do the Crime, you serve the Time"...

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    This guy was obviously a bad apple to begin with. 2 DUI's, then he suddenly resigns and the cops search his home in relation to other criminal activity and find the can.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    The process of obtaining a suppressor is a huge pain in the ass, for what? They are easy to obtain on the black market, and that is the way that criminals will go every time.

I technically own 2 suppressors. One .45 caliber, and one .22, but the .22 is part of a complete upper. I really didn't have a good reason for the .45, it was, more of a because I can thing. I had the ruger .22 custom made for semi-suburban groundhogs.

The extra $200 is just enough to piss you off, and there sure is a lot of mark up on the dealer & manufacturer side, I'm sure a lot of that goes to cover the cost of over regulation. And again, what is the point?

As for this particular story, it just goes to show, infringements are the norm. There was nothing about this story that suggested that he did anything illegal, other than possess a suppressor (more like an oil filter with a hex nut) without NFA paperwork. My bet is that most people probably don't even know that making a home made suppressor is illegal.

OMA

As a 'retired' FBI agent are you allowed to keep your official credentials, not to mention FBI business cards and FBI reports??

Oldmarylander

Jun 25, 2013
    As a 'retired' FBI agent are you allowed to keep your official credentials, not to mention FBI business cards and FBI reports??

I don't know, are you? And if that was the illegal activity, why not convict him on an actual crime instead of a hysterical reaction to an oil filter?

Dec 6, 2011
    Credentials are two cards bound in a single commission book, placed in a leather case. On retirement, they stamp "retired" on the cards usually using a tiny holes and generally cut the commission book along the binding. FBI credentials have remained largely unchanged over the years. It's interesting to sets from the 60's. In the old days, the last line read "as imposed on him, by law."

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It's interesting to sets from the 60's. In the old days, the last line read "as imposed on him, by law."

Liddy used to point out that's where the term "special" came from in Special Agent ... it referred to the limits imposed by law, not exceptions to it

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    IIRC, you CAN legally build your own suppressor. You just need to file a Form 1 and pay the $200 fee to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom