• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    Does anyone know, or know where I can find out how long form 3 (dealer to dealer) approvals are taking? I purchased a M11/9 in October and the ATF cashed the check October 25th and I have yet to hear from the dealer I bought it from. It was on a form 4 in Florida.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Does anyone know, or know where I can find out how long form 3 (dealer to dealer) approvals are taking? I purchased a M11/9 in October and the ATF cashed the check October 25th and I have yet to hear from the dealer I bought it from. It was on a form 4 in Florida.

I've had them take three weeks and I've had them take three months. Have you checked with the receiving dealer? Good luck.

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    I've had them take three weeks and I've had them take three months. Have you checked with the receiving dealer? Good luck.

I have not checked with the recieving dealer. I don't want to be that guy. I'm sure they will let me know when they hear something. I was just curious as to whether or not there was a way to see how far off I am. I appreciate your reply.

Last I had heard about 5 to 6 months right now.

Damn. Well hopefully it's the lesser of the two. Sucks to wait this long just to fill out a form 4 just to wait an additonal 12+ months. Probably more.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

They really don't have any average for a time frame. I don't know why some are taking so long and others seem to be back in no time. If I had to guess, I'd say probably count on at least 3 months. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Good Luck!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have not checked with the recieving dealer. I don't want to be that guy. I'm sure they will let me know when they hear something. I was just curious as to whether or not there was a way to see how far off I am. I appreciate your reply.

There's no harm in checking. Just about every time I 'stop in' on my SOT, I get a phone call a week or two later saying a stamp came in. I have never called the ATF, though. The wait plain sucks. No two ways about it.:sad20:

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    They really don't have any average for a time frame. I don't know why some are taking so long and others seem to be back in no time. If I had to guess, I'd say probably count on at least 3 months. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Yeah it's been just shy of four months. Oh well. Soon hopefully.

Good Luck!

There's no harm in checking. Just about every time I 'stop in' on my SOT, I get a phone call a week or two later saying a stamp came in. I have never called the ATF, though. The wait plain sucks. No two ways about it.:sad20:

Yeah I should do that. Just curious, do you mean my local FFL or the one in Florida that is handling the other side of the transfer? I'm not familiar with the form 3 process. Who gets the approval? Thanks!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yeah I should do that. Just curious, do you mean my local FFL or the one in Florida that is handling the other side of the transfer? I'm not familiar with the form 3 process. Who gets the approval? Thanks!

Once the Florida guy sends off the Form 3, It's out of his hands. However, If you call him and ask if he still has the gun, wouldn't that mean the Form 3 hasn't gone through yet? I'm just spit-balling here...

The only F3s I've gone through were with the Silencer Shop and they usually give you a heads up when the F3 goes through.

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    Once the Florida guy sends off the Form 3, It's out of his hands. However, If you call him and ask if he still has the gun, wouldn't that mean the Form 3 hasn't gone through yet? I'm just spit-balling here...

The only F3s I've gone through were with the Silencer Shop and they usually give you a heads up when the F3 goes through.

Nah he definitely still has the gun as I've only paid half so far lol. I would think he would be the one to let me know when it goes through.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Nah he definitely still has the gun as I've only paid half so far lol. I would think he would be the one to let me know when it goes through.

Yes, as soon as he gets the approval for the transfer, he will contact you asking for full payment. After that, it will arrive at your FFL and the wait starts all over again.

Just curious, why did you buy a firearm on a form 3? Couldn't you find one already on a Form 4?

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    Yes, as soon as he gets the approval for the transfer, he will contact you asking for full payment. After that, it will arrive at your FFL and the wait starts all over again.

Just curious, why did you buy a firearm on a form 3? Couldn't you find one already on a Form 4?

I believe (still learning) it was on a form 4 in Florida. Since it has to cross state lines, it must be converted to a form 3 to transfer dealer to dealer, and then submitted as a form 4 yet again. This way the government can get paid twice. :thumbsup:

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    I had a F3 get submitted 3 times before it went through. Final time took 1 month, that was in Sep/Oct 2016.

Are you saying you have NOT submitted the Form 4 yet? Get the info and send that bad boy in. No sense waiting for it to show up!

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I believe (still learning) it was on a form 4 in Florida. Since it has to cross state lines, it must be converted to a form 3 to transfer dealer to dealer, and then submitted as a form 4 yet again. This way the government can get paid twice. :thumbsup:

Form 3s are free.

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    I had a F3 get submitted 3 times before it went through. Final time took 1 month, that was in Sep/Oct 2016.

Are you saying you have NOT submitted the Form 4 yet? Get the info and send that bad boy in. No sense waiting for it to show up!

Damn. Didn't know this was an option.

Form 3s are free.

Correct. But converting it from a form 4 to a form 3 is 200. Convering it from a form 3 to a form 4 is another 200.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Yes. AFIAK, he has to hold the article until the transfer(F3) comes through. I would think, when he calls you wanting the balance payment, that will tell you the F3 was satisfied.

Hellrazr78

May 20, 2011
    Balt. Co.
    Yes. AFIAK, he has to hold the article until the transfer(F3) comes through. I would think, when he calls you wanting the balance payment, that will tell you the F3 was satisfied.

Makes sense to me. Just getting antsy. Got lots of stamps in the pipeline. Just want ONE of them to play with.

That don't sound right. Like dontpanic said, F3s are free. It's only one stamp(IANAL)

Hmm. Most of the out of state form 4's I see say seller covers first transfer cost, buyer responsible for second cost.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hmm. Most of the out of state form 4's I see say seller covers first transfer cost, buyer responsible for second cost.

Free to you, I should have said. It's between the seller/transferee and ATF being as it is an interstate transfer, as I understand it. I'm only going by personal experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom