• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BusaJ52

Jul 13, 2016
    Cecil
    lets start with my form 1 was approved. now on my form 1 application in the caliber box i wrote 5.56. since i already have a lower with a serial #, model number, and a caliber of "multi" do i also need to have 5.56 engraved onto the lower as well? if so, could i submit a change to the form 1 and change 5.56 to multi instead so there is less machining getting done on my lower? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    lets start with my form 1 was approved. now on my form 1 application in the caliber box i wrote 5.56. since i already have a lower with a serial #, model number, and a caliber of "multi" do i also need to have 5.56 engraved onto the lower as well? if so, could i submit a change to the form 1 and change 5.56 to multi instead so there is less machining getting done on my lower? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm new to the SBR game but from what I've read if the barrel is stamped 5.56 then that is sufficient. If you don't feel that the barrel stamp is conspicuous then you could also get the upper engraved.

By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and

(v) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the importer maintain your place of business. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.
    https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/479.102

BusaJ52

Jul 13, 2016
    Cecil
    i submitted basically the same question to the e forms site "expert helper" the answer i received was this "Yes, the regulations require that the caliber be marked on the frame or barrel."

BusaJ52

Jul 13, 2016
    Cecil
    so essentially the only thing i need to engrave on my lower is my trust name and the city/state.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh

BusaJ52

Jul 13, 2016
    Cecil
    You may not even need to do that. We debate this topic every couple months and opinions vary greatly.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/01/foghorn/do-you-need-to-engrave-your-form-1ed-sbr/

I think the idea of engraving an SBR (that you purchased and is already engraved with manufacturer make/model/sn) is ridiculous. Then again, I have lots of engraved SBR's.

I would certainly love not having to engrave my quality lower. Then again I would most certainly love more to be in compliance with any law muddy or not. Just to be safe.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    If you choose not to engrave, I would recommend(not required) you keep a copy of your Form 1 with you when you have the NFA item outside your house. I keep copies of all my stamps in my range bag and cell phone. It's not required as I said, but it can easily help resolve any questions an official might have in a given situation.

BusaJ52

Jul 13, 2016
    Cecil
    what i'm most concerned about is the box on the form 1 asking the caliber. Does entering 5.56 on my app limit my sbr to being a 5.56 or can i run different caliber barrels on my lower so long as the barrel is marked with the caliber i am currently shooting. Like any lower purchased nowadays its already engraved multi. I do plan on carrying copies of my approval form with the sbr. I'm planning on using united.

Pitbull410

Aug 1, 2016
    I was told by an industry partner here when I bought my reciever(which is not marked at all for caliber) that when I sbr'ed it I didn't need to engrave the caliber, just my name or trust and city/state. However being as how your form 1 engraving can be on the barrel, having a barrel marked with the caliber would also give me more piece of mind.

Pitbull410

Aug 1, 2016
    what i'm most concerned about is the box on the form 1 asking the caliber. Does entering 5.56 on my app limit my sbr to being a 5.56 or can i run different caliber barrels on my lower so long as the barrel is marked with the caliber i am currently shooting. Like any lower purchased nowadays its already engraved multi. I do plan on carrying copies of my approval form with the sbr. I'm planning on using united.

I believe You can change barrels/uppers temporarily afterwards but I believe you need to be able to put it back to caliber is registered at .

This is my understanding Ive come to from researching and reading over the web the past few months

BusaJ52

Jul 13, 2016
    Cecil
    I believe You can change barrels/uppers temporarily afterwards but I believe you need to be able to put it back to caliber is registered at .

This is my understanding Ive come to from researching and reading over the web the past few months

i have also seen that. Anything not permanent is ok as long as i can convert back to my original sbr format.

BusaJ52

Jul 13, 2016
    Cecil
    What is temporary in that aspect a week, month, or a year? Though i dont plan on switching it up on the calibers.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    What is temporary in that aspect a week, month, or a year? Though i dont plan on switching it up on the calibers.

Why not? That is part of the beauty of the AR. I would just make sure to keep the upper you based your form 1 on. 5.56 is fun but 300BO is fun too...so is 9mm, .22 etc.

BusaJ52

Jul 13, 2016
    Cecil
    Why not? That is part of the beauty of the AR. I would just make sure to keep the upper you based your form 1 on. 5.56 is fun but 300BO is fun too...so is 9mm, .22 etc.

i have a 16" aac blkout. thought about building a 300 pistol with the addition of a suppressor. i have been thinking 9mm here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom