• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    Thaks Weber. That is true, and its hard to say I spent 250$ more than your freeze plug build and its actually louder than my CNC cone build. Ive seen that many times over throughout many hobbies.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    OK, I need a LID for my pistol suppressor. I plan on using it on several pistols of different caliber - 9mm, .45, 22lr. I will need different pistons for each caliber barrel. Which LID is preferred? GEMTECH or Liberty?

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    For 9mm pistols it might be more important to know if your barrel uses 1/2 x 28 (righty tighty thread) or the 13mm thread (lefty tighty thread). If it is 1/2 x 28 thread, it will work for both the 9mm and the 22lr. But for standard euro/metric threaded barrel of 9mm Glocks/ Sigs (I think) you might need the 13mm thread. I actually have both Liberty and Gemtech but I've seen Gemtech on more than 1 IP. I bought the Liberty LID with 1/2 x 28 online.

Gemtech also sells the $15 adapter to replace the spring in your LID should you decide to use your 1/2 x28 piston on a .22 LR conversion AR-15 or a threaded rifle. Or you could use a 1/2 x28 fixed adapter (Gemtech used to sell them) if still available.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    After reviewing the Gemtech and Liberty Boosters, it looks like liberty is the best choice. They make custom pistons if they don't already have one. So the question is, who has the best price? Looking at SS - http://www.silencershop.com/liberty-booster.html, they might have the best price at $156. Anyone seen them cheaper?

Best I see, hoping someone else will chime in. Will I be happy with the KKM threaded barrel for G19? Storm Lake? I would prefer an upgrade from Lone Wolf.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Well guys, the ATF is going after solvent traps. SDTA was told to remove all tubes, end caps, and freeze plugs.

They are contacting an NFA lawyer but are complying right now.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I just heard that. "Too much like a silencer" because they're a threaded tube.

I suppose Maglites are all illegal now too then?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I just heard that. "Too much like a silencer" because they're a threaded tube.

I suppose Maglites are all illegal now too then?

lol - I just bought a 10" black steel pipe today from Home Depot, threaded on both ends for npt. I guess plumbing supplies are going to be banned next. lol

The government is seriously beyond itself. Just because somebody can do something that is illegal with the supplies that are out there, like fertilizer and diesel fuel, does not mean the supplies should be outlawed. Yes, solvent traps can be made into a suppressor, but gasoline can be made into a bomb, gasoline and styrofoam can be made into napalm. The act of making it is what is illegal.

You guys think Trump can reign in the BATFE, or has government really gotten too big and too intrusive. In essence, a bar to freedom as it was known when the country was founded.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gotta be kidding me. I haven't bought anything yet for my 2 builds except for the Liberty Booster....:mad54::mad54:

I have to laugh or I would cry. I am waiting on 5 suppressor stamps that I filed on July 4, 2016. Have not bought a single piece to build these things, the government has $1,000 of my money, and now the government is saying it is illegal for suppliers to provide anything that looks even remotely close to what it would take to build a suppressor. Yep, it is hilarious.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    FFS I too am waiting to get paperwork back for a form 1. Sounds like need to order the caps asap. May have to use a mag light rather than the Ti tube I initially planned.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    It'll be interesting to see if the dude at the gun show who sells them is still there for the next one. :innocent0

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    FFS I too am waiting to get paperwork back for a form 1. Sounds like need to order the caps asap. May have to use a mag light rather than the Ti tube I initially planned.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I am guessing that we will still be able to get titanium tubes. We might have to take them to a machine shop to get them threaded, etc., but I am willing to bet that there will still be a way to make a suppressor even if the BATFE wins on this issue. I mean, when we are submitting a Form 1, it is for manufacturing a suppressor, correct? So, going about it the hard way is still possible. The BATFE just wants to make it slightly harder for us. Even if SD Tactical, PreppersDiscount, etc. cannot sell solvent traps anymore, why can't they sell titanium tubes? Create another company that sells attachments for muzzles. Plenty of places selling freeze plugs and baffles for suppressors. The end cap might be the only thing of any difficulty, and I am pretty sure some sort of plumbing supply will work there.

Then, there is always the oil filter method. Not the best idea for long term usage, but still an avenue.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    It'll be interesting to see if the dude at the gun show who sells them is still there for the next one. :innocent0

It will be interesting to see what BATFE's specific issue is with the solvent traps and whether there is a way around it. Personally, I think BATFE is going way beyond what it needs to do in this scenario, but I am pretty biased. If I can find some time over the weekend, I'll try to see if there is anything specific that the BATFE has put out regarding solvent traps.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    It will be interesting to see what BATFE's specific issue is with the solvent traps and whether there is a way around it. Personally, I think BATFE is going way beyond what it needs to do in this scenario, but I am pretty biased. If I can find some time over the weekend, I'll try to see if there is anything specific that the BATFE has put out regarding solvent traps.

I'm interested to see if they even have legitimate recourse against anyone selling the solvent traps other than threats.

Kind of reminds me of the MSP banned list. They can arbitrarily say a gun is banned all they want, but if they're wrong they're wrong about whether the gun fails the statute.
    I suppose atf is a bit bigger and scarier though...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm interested to see if they even have legitimate recourse against anyone selling the solvent traps other than threats.

Kind of reminds me of the MSP banned list. They can arbitrarily say a gun is banned all they want, but if they're wrong they're wrong about whether the gun fails the statute.
    I suppose atf is a bit bigger and scarier though...

Almost every governmental agency has more money than you or I. They have attorneys on staff that they need to keep busy, not to mention all the law enforcement officers. Don't want them just sitting around with no justification for their jobs. Then, what is the difference between 10 years in state prison and 10 years in federal prison? Guessing it isn't that big of a difference. However, I don't want to experience the difference from a personal perspective.

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    I would look around and fine parts you need now before this becomes a widespread issue, there are also some used or purchased but not used solvent trap parts out there. I would assume the market value for those items will go up in price very quickly.

Solvent traps are not illegal because of this situation, but it is the start to a bigger attack. SDTA being a sot FLL is what brought this up from them, a solvent trap only guy probably hasn't had an issue, but may be scared to do business now.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I would look around and fine parts you need now before this becomes a widespread issue, there are also some used or purchased but not used solvent trap parts out there. I would assume the market value for those items will go up in price very quickly.

Solvent traps are not illegal because of this situation, but it is the start to a bigger attack. SDTA being a sot FLL is what brought this up from them, a solvent trap only guy probably hasn't had an issue, but may be scared to do business now.

Well, there are 80% lowers. Question now is, what constitutes an 80% suppressor. If they sell parts to suppressors, but not a kit, how is that any different than selling 80% lowers. It is up to the manufacturer to follow the law when manufacturing the item.

What if I was to buy a drilled end cap from one retailer that only sells drilled end caps, a tube from another retailer that only sells tubes, muzzle attachments from a seller that only sells muzzle attachments, and baffles from a seller that only sells baffles? Is it illegal t own something that could be used as a baffle? Is it illegal to own a piece of pipe that is thread on both ends? If so, there is going to be a shortage of plumbers once they are all locked up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom