• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 28, 2013
    Look at these recent quotes:

Republicans and conservative Democrats in rural areas mounted the most opposition to the Maryland measure, calling it an infringement on Second Amendment rights and a punishment of law-abiding citizens. -Baltimore Sun

Critics described the bill as a devastating blow to Second Amendment rights. They said the measure wrongly focuses on guns, rather than people who use them to commit crimes. - SFGate

I see a lot of talk about our rights, which are under attack, yet nothing to refute the false promises of safety and 'common sense' that SB281 depends on.

The debate looks like a choice between our rights and our safety, and it isn't. People who are indifferent to or against gun ownership are going to be more persuaded by the safety argument. They need to know that SB281 is not going to make them safer, defending schools and addressing mental health problems will.

Was the VA Tech massacre an example of gun safety? Was Columbine? This is what O'Malley wants people to believe, that SB281 is going to keep them safe despite the fact that 10 round magazines or a 9mm pistol is all that is necessary to terrorize a defenseless school. This is what people want to hear after Newton, and he will promise them a solution regardless of whether it is true; he will profit from those deaths. The uninformed public will believe O'Malley because all they hear from us is that we don't want our guns banned or our rights infringed.

We must prove the premise of SB281 wrong, and call out politicians who want to exploit a tragedy by preying on the public's trust. Mass shootings will still be possible, and equally severe, after the passage of this bill. O'Malley must not be allowed to stand before the cameras as a savior, he must look like the deceptive opportunist that he is.

Drop the appeals for our rights and start questioning our safety. This is a debate we can win, the facts are on our side.

Last edited:

Mobile

Dec 30, 2011
    You know and I know that it's not safety; it's just a promise of safety.

pilotwithgun

Feb 21, 2013
    My first post

SB281 is about more than safety. The true loss here was the opportunity for the session to have real input and debate about mental health issues. That was my main talk when I tried to testify for SB281. As many know, our mental health system is broken in the US, with lots of quack medicine and Big Pharma "take this and see me in three months" treatments, and little true success with the highest risk patients. The true tragedy of SB281 is that more Adam Lanza's will be getting minted for the future, and nobody in Annapolis had the political cahones to stand up for them and truly save them before they go off the deep end. That's what really disappoints me about this law.

Jan 28, 2013
    Better mental health treatment will make society safer, arbitrary gun bans won't. This is what the public needs to hear, they want solutions to these shootings. The supporters of SB281 have succeeded in winning the "safety" mantle because we didn't challenge them for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom