• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Every time I've seen the title of this thread, something bugged me but it never came to the front of my mind.

I realized today what it is - it equates moving from Maryland with giving up, which is a false premise.

Just because someone has had enough of some of the bad aspects of this area does not mean that they are giving up "the fight."

Maryland is a beautiful state. I've ridden my bike over about all of it's regions and most of it is breathtaking.

However, Nnztg8r's post #49 here lists differences between this area and many, many other places in America. There are many valid reasons in that list, and there are others.

If you have the gumption to put up with the negative aspects and stay here, or if you just love the state so much that it outweighs the problems, more power to you.

If there are reasons that prevent you from moving though you want to, well hang in there.

If you want to move and can, godspeed.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Moved to VA for the 'less than ultra liberal Universities'. I established 'In State' status to save a few $$$ on tuition, room and board. I also moved to a 'resort community' on the lake. After my daughter completes her education, I'm free to live anywhere. This is not the Soviet Union. We are all AMERICAN citizens and we are free to move between states. People are leaving MD in droves and illegal aliens are taking their place. I'll fight for 2A rights wherever I go. People can make excuses about why they can't leave, or don't want to. I get that. The cost of moving is not cheap, but it was offset by a significant savings and a better quality of life. I didn't run from MD, I ran to VA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I instantly made $300/mo in state income taxes alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    There is no fight in Maryland...Just a bunch of smallish groups banging their head into a liberal brick wall.

Population 2/3 democrat with more moving into the state yearly
    Gerrymandered election districts designed to almost guarantee democrat re-election
    Liberal leadership in the GA that controls what bills make it out of committee
    A Liberal AG who hates guns and gun owners
    A court system stacked with liberal activist judges who ignore the constitution

And then there is our so called Republican governor who will not publicly state his position on 2A issues...

It's not a fight, it's more like begging

"Please sir, might we have a little of our constitutionally guaranteed rights back?"

Do I sense a hint of despair??:sad20::sad20:

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    At least during the 30 days, you can do private sales.

I've wanted to leave MD for VA for a long time, and finally did so after graduating when I got a job doing 2A politics stuff. I wish I didn't have to be in NOVA, but it's an improvement.

yeah, but here's the bad news for you. VA will be the new MD very soon. Demographics and, as a consequence, politics in that state have changed and are continuing to change drastically. just a matter of time before statewide policy is dictated by the NOVA voters, just as policy in MD is dictated by the 295 corridor voters. You already have all of your major statewide elections dominated by dems: e.g.-governor, both U.S. Senate seats, attorney general

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    yeah, but here's the bad news for you. VA will be the new MD very soon. Demographics and, as a consequence, politics in that state have changed and are continuing to change drastically. just a matter of time before statewide policy is dictated by the NOVA voters, just as policy in MD is dictated by the 295 corridor voters. You already have all of your major statewide elections dominated by dems: e.g.-governor, both U.S. Senate seats, attorney general

Virginia may succumb to the same fate as Maryland, but you have to remember, it took a considerable amount of time for Maryland to get as bad as it is. Virginia may be on the path, but will still take considerable time before it can get as bad as Maryland.

And there's half a chance that the trend can be reversed as more and more people see the danger in abandoning the 2nd Amendment.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Virginia may succumb to the same fate as Maryland, but you have to remember, it took a considerable amount of time for Maryland to get as bad as it is. Virginia may be on the path, but will still take considerable time before it can get as bad as Maryland.

And there's half a chance that the trend can be reversed as more and more people see the danger in abandoning the 2nd Amendment.

With the increased effort by Bloomberg and Co... Don't bet your 2A on that. It can swing a lot faster that you think.

ar154u

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 23, 2015
    I too have grown tired. I've grown tired of hearing how our rights are ignored and trampled upon. After reading as much as I could about how baby steps is the way I quickly realized that it is very easy to pick up an infant and place them where you want erasing their baby steps. I have come up with a plan which removes any doubt about our rights being ignored and trampled upon. A plan so diabolically genius that anyone could have created and everyone should get behind. It's the fight that everyone talks about fighting.

As you may be aware, I have asked for volunteers to join me in getting trained to apply for a Maryland CCW using the 14thA as G&S. My call was heard and volunteers have committed to join the fight. An offer by a MSP certified handgun trainer to train us for free was accepted. Training will be provided by Atlantic Tactical Firearms Training in Salisbury, Maryland in March. Once trained, myself and other volunteers will apply using 14th Amendment Right to Equal Protection as our G&S reason. MSP will have no choice but to deny us. Then we appeal to the HPRB. If we have made any progress by replacing members of the HPRB this will be their chance to show where they stand. I'm expecting the HPRB to uphold the denial of myself and the other volunteers.

This opens the doors and the 14th Amendment will go on trial. I can see this case going to SCOTUS. Apparently SCOTUS loves to hear 14Th Amendment cases. I am fighting for me, but every Marylander will be represented. How can you help us fight? Post your support in the below linked thread. Make your voice heard. I'm sure outsiders have read the plan, see it coming together, and have discussed it. They may not be worried now, but we can make them worry by showing your support.
    http://mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=187759

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I too have grown tired. I've grown tired of hearing how our rights are ignored and trampled upon. After reading as much as I could about how baby steps is the way I quickly realized that it is very easy to pick up an infant and place them where you want erasing their baby steps. I have come up with a plan which removes any doubt about our rights being ignored and trampled upon. A plan so diabolically genius that anyone could have created and everyone should get behind. It's the fight that everyone talks about fighting.

As you may be aware, I have asked for volunteers to join me in getting trained to apply for a Maryland CCW using the 14thA as G&S. My call was heard and volunteers have committed to join the fight. An offer by a MSP certified handgun trainer to train us for free was accepted. Training will be provided by Atlantic Tactical Firearms Training in Salisbury, Maryland in March. Once trained, myself and other volunteers will apply using 14th Amendment Right to Equal Protection as our G&S reason. MSP will have no choice but to deny us. Then we appeal to the HPRB. If we have made any progress by replacing members of the HPRB this will be their chance to show where they stand. I'm expecting the HPRB to uphold the denial of myself and the other volunteers.

This opens the doors and the 14th Amendment will go on trial. I can see this case going to SCOTUS. Apparently SCOTUS loves to hear 14Th Amendment cases. I am fighting for me, but every Marylander will be represented. How can you help us fight? Post your support in the below linked thread. Make your voice heard. I'm sure outsiders have read the plan, see it coming together, and have discussed it. They may not be worried now, but we can make them worry by showing your support.
    http://mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=187759

Best wishes in your endeavor... But the baby which you think is so easy to pick up and move, is a hundred year old behemoth which is defiantly sitting and refusing to budge. We have actually seen a couple baby steps and hope to see more soon. But your argument had better be a super heavy duty tow truck and mega crane. Because short of that... You may tire out long before the baby even knows you're there.

ar154u

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 23, 2015
    Best wishes in your endeavor... But the baby which you think is so easy to pick up and move, is a hundred year old behemoth which is defiantly sitting and refusing to budge. We have actually seen a couple baby steps and hope to see more soon. But your argument had better be a super heavy duty tow truck and mega crane. Because short of that... You may tire out long before the baby even knows you're there.

It seems like take a baby step forward and the GA creates a law which pushes the baby 5 steps back. FSA2013 is a perfect example. I think it is important to continue to keep pushing forward on all fronts, and new fronts too. Please don't think I underestimate or don't appreciate baby steps. Although it sounds like I don't appreciate them, I do.

iCoder80

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 31, 2015
    It seems like take a baby step forward and the GA creates a law which pushes the baby 5 steps back. FSA2013 is a perfect example. I think it is important to continue to keep pushing forward on all fronts, and new fronts too. Please don't think I underestimate or don't appreciate baby steps. Although it sounds like I don't appreciate them, I do.

I applaud your efforts. It will be a long, tiring road to SCOTUS. I would bet somewhere in the 5-7 year range, if at all. The makeup of the court will most likely be quite different by that time. Very hard to begin to predict how a case like you propose would be heard, if heard at all.

Maryland is less than friendly to retirees, hence I plan to retreat to a warmer, more retiree friendly cost of living climate in 3 years.

Good Luck!

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

Glad to hear that... I understand your point and support the idealism in your efforts for everyone concerned. I just want to know that you understand that you have huge hurdles to overcome in your approach to the issue. And that those who have been there before you have worked in their ways for a very long time. Cautious and well researched plans have shown their value in many contests over time. Even when it was a new approach to an old problem. Again... Best wishes.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Started applying to jobs in Raleigh this month. Tired of living in the North East for multiple reasons.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I wish everyone who can get out of this awful state the best of luck and would hardly call them a quitter. IMO this state is pointless to stay in. Call me a defeatist all you want.

If I can get out I will, but I don't see that happening for at least 5-10 years. Id be willing to bet with 2 terms of Hogan and 10 years after those terms I could check back in and this state will probably be even worse gun rights wise.

best wishes to those leaving and enjoy your new found freedoms in america

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Great thread! Poor title, though . . . "For those who want to leave MD instead of fighting"

I left MD so I CAN SHOOT . . . instead of fighting!

Every time my wife and I come back here, it only takes an hour or less before we find a quiet aisle in the store or less than conspicuous spot in the restaurant or on a sidewalk to firmly hug each other and whisper thanks and gratitude to one another . . .

that we didn't wait one day longer!

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I have been fighting in one way or another for a long time, even before I got stuck in md, and I will keep fighting no matter where I am.

Would I leave md if possible? Absolutely! Like tomorrow, but I'm stuck for now.

Will keep fighting and doing what I can as money and time allow. May not push the tide back but may keep us from drowning.

As for VA, I was born and raised there. Sadly, NoVA (aka "occupied VA") will destroy the state given enough time.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    I'm a refugee from MD. I fought the good fight while I was there. Went to Annapolis several times a year for hearings, etc. Worked for Erhlich's campaign (minor stuff, deliver yard signs, hand out swag @ rallies, work polls--nothing major). Worked a lot on the ground pro-RKBA candidates for minor elections.

I assumed I'd keep fighting just as hard once I got out here to America, but life happened AND it's hard to get people too excited about gun rights out here. Nobody really believes me when I tell them what it was like in MD (and it's gotten loads worse, I can't even imagine living under your current conditions). Cops here are gun friendly, nobody freaks out if they see your gun, and it's pretty expected that most people have guns. Kids who forget and have a shotgun in the car in the school parking lot normally get a stern warning, but they do keep saying they'll need to make an example out of the next one.

I was pretty concerned that I'd just delayed things by moving, especially over the past seven years with the national climate pushing/buying gun control at the state level. I've got family in Colorado, and hated to see what happened there a few years ago. I giggle a little at the earlier post in this thread from a Coloradan bragging about how good things are there and almost cry to remember what is was like when I lived there 40 years ago (as a kid). It's still like that once you get off of the front range, but it's changing. I do have hopes that the ground it seems like we've been losing over the past seven or so years is starting to be recovered, and higher hopes that the pace can be accelerated soon when there's less national push. My state is OK for now, but I know better than to say "never".

I am mainly posting to wish you all well at tomorrow's events. Politely, but firmly, show them how many of "us" there are in your once-great state. I have family in MD, and get dragged back there evey few years. I doubt if I own a vehicle that doesn't have spent casings somewhere. We'll try to vacuum and clean before heading back behind the iron curtain, and hope we don't get searched. Hopefully you guys can turn the tide, but I have to agree with the posters on the other thread -- if you didn't have Hogan you'd be facing a much scarier 2ATuesday with lots of despair and defensive actions planned.

Count your blessings, but don't rest on your laurels!

Hank

Feb 28, 2013

I'd be lyin' if I said I didn't feel the same way he does.

No, I won't criticize anyone else's efforts because on one hand I do feel their fight is a noble one. But on the other, I have to acknowledge that MD is a lost cause simple because of the numbers. Martin O'Malley may as well have stood on the floor of the GA and gave the same speech Andrew Cuomo did. He likely would have gotten a standing ovation from the GA members AND everyone watchin' on the boob tube.

My wife knows I hate it here, and if my company opens a terminal on the eastern shore I'm off to Delaware or Virginia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom