• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Never been there and doesn't sound like I'm missing much. I am a member at Freestate but, I wouldn't be if I totally went by first impressions. My first time in just to check the place out and ogle some guns I was treated fairly rudely by the first employee I came in contact with. Asked for a price on a shotgun on the rack that I couldn't see the tag and was told to "wait until I'm finished what I'm doing" and turned his back on me. I was one of only 4 or 5 people in the store and probably wouldn't have come back if a friend of mine hadn't told me to give them another try. Everyone else there is quite nice and helpful but, that first guy is still an ahole even now. Hopefully whomever runs the show at Selectfire will read some of this stuff and change the way they treat people or they should go out of business. I'll definitely go farther and spend more to be treated decent and support good customer service.:D Just wish we had more choices than we do!!!!

SigDog

Feb 11, 2013
    West Virginia
    It is your problem, because YOU ARE the reason they are surviving. it's easy for one person to go "Well, it doesn't matter if I go there or not, one person won't change anything." And you are right, one person won't change anything, but when 30, 40, 50 people are all saying the same thing, it's not longer just one person.

This is the same type of logic that people got lambasted for when they said they could not come to Annapolis to protest SB281. Supporting shitty gun shops (no matter how little or how seldom you do it) is just a continuation of that mindset.

Won't it be just awesome when places like DSC and On Target go out of business because everyone thought it was easier to go to Select Fire who now charges $2,000 for a Mini-14 because all the other gun shops in town went out of business.

For a site full of people pushing hard to "vote with your dollars" against people who donated people who supported 281, I'm really surprised at how many people are not willing to do the same fo rgun shops in order to ensure that we always have quality gun shops that care about and treat their customers well.

I've read your post several times and am having trouble processing what you're saying here.
    What difference does it make how anyone runs their business?
    If you don't like the way they run it, don't do business there.
    Natural selection will eventually decide who stays in business and who doesn't.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Not at all the same thing, (and I was in Annapolis for SB281 a lot) They are a gun range, I dont buy guns there (So far its been Consitutional and Barts)
    Sorry I dont care to boycott a place that hasnt wronged me and is close by. From what I have read even with all 30,40, 50 of you who have had a bad experience and I respect your choice to not go there but dont get all high and mighty because it makes practical sense to go there. Im not saying they are a great business to deal with but the pros out weigh the cons. I seriously doubt that the few of us who go there will cause the other gun ranges who are all your favorites to go out of business.

I dont buy into the boycott and freedom fries ********. If we boycotted everything we disagreed with we would be less than Amish. Continental isnt always great to deal with but when i dont wanna go 30 mins to my range, i drive the 4 minutes there, shoot, and leave. Im not there to make friends. Select Fire sounds like a bunch of assclown douchebags. But if you can shoot there cheaply and conveniently, you are right to tell people to F off. You wont catch me there, but screw it. Go shoot.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    It is your problem, because YOU ARE the reason they are surviving. it's easy for one person to go "Well, it doesn't matter if I go there or not, one person won't change anything." And you are right, one person won't change anything, but when 30, 40, 50 people are all saying the same thing, it's not longer just one person.

This is the same type of logic that people got lambasted for when they said they could not come to Annapolis to protest SB281. Supporting shitty gun shops (no matter how little or how seldom you do it) is just a continuation of that mindset.

Won't it be just awesome when places like DSC and On Target go out of business because everyone thought it was easier to go to Select Fire who now charges $2,000 for a Mini-14 because all the other gun shops in town went out of business.

For a site full of people pushing hard to "vote with your dollars" against people who donated people who supported 281, I'm really surprised at how many people are not willing to do the same fo rgun shops in order to ensure that we always have quality gun shops that care about and treat their customers well.

Wrong. It's not my job to decide who stays in business and who doesn't. The fact that I go to Select Fire once in a while in no way affects the business at On Target. It's not a case of me going to SF instead of OT, it's going to SF instead on not going at all. You really have no idea how the marketplace works do you? Does Home Depot go out of business when Lowes opens across the street? I have no idea how SF stays in business, but I don't care. I would never buy an over priced firearm from them. They have never treated me poorly, though not many do. As long as their range fees are inexpensive and close, I will continue to go there as I see fit.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    I feel your pain. About 5 yrs ago a buddy suggested I meet him at SF. Felt like I was being stared down by the guy behind the counter upon entering. He asked to see my firearm & as I was carefully reaching into my bag to retrieve it & show him it was unloaded, he steps back & begins to draw his firearm. Not a good 1st impression.

After we finished & are leaving, he's yelling at us because we shot too quickly ( there were no double or triple taps by either of us). Neither of us have been back. There's an old "sales" adage", do a good job for someone & they'll tell another person, but do a bad job/mistreat someone & they'll tell 10 people".

I hit them in the pocketbook. I tell anyone who asks my opinion to stay away from SF. However, I can't & don't begrudge anyone who chooses to do business with them, since its a personal choice.

If they want my money, then they'll have to treat me like an adult.

"You only have one chance to make a 1st impression".

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Well for what it's worth, I have to say as someone who tried to be a customer I found the place full of retards and one giant cockclown.

A hint on customer service never talk down to someone the first time you meet them.

A hint you should well take Sir. Every time I walk into your establishment, I get called every name in the book. I will never darken your dodrway again!!!!!

See ya Sunday...:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    I feel your pain. About 5 yrs ago a buddy suggested I meet him at SF. Felt like I was being stared down by the guy behind the counter upon entering. He asked to see my firearm & as I was carefully reaching into my bag to retrieve it & show him it was unloaded, he steps back & begins to draw his firearm. Not a good 1st impression.

After we finished & are leaving, he's yelling at us because we shot too quickly ( there were no double or triple taps by either of us). Neither of us have been back. There's an old "sales" adage", do a good job for someone & they'll tell another person, but do a bad job/mistreat someone & they'll tell 10 people".

I hit them in the pocketbook. I tell anyone who asks my opinion to stay away from SF. However, I can't & don't begrudge anyone who chooses to do business with them, since its a personal choice.

If they want my money, then they'll have to treat me like an adult.

"You only have one chance to make a 1st impression".

I would have turned around right then, left, and never looked back.

ob1murry

May 18, 2011
    I've read your post several times and am having trouble processing what you're saying here.
    What difference does it make how anyone runs their business?
    If you don't like the way they run it, don't do business there.
    Natural selection will eventually decide who stays in business and who doesn't.

I don't do business there. Despite the fact that like many others here, I live very close by, and get off of work late, I would much rather give my money to a business that treats me with respect and deserves the money from the job I worked at.

Your natural selection article only works if we let it run it's course, the problem is that a number of members have already demonstrated a complete apathy for the things that would have normally put it out of business. It only goes out of business if people care about the bad environment...clearly some people don't. The days of letting companies live and die based on their service have come and gone.

Wrong. It's not my job to decide who stays in business and who doesn't. The fact that I go to Select Fire once in a while in no way affects the business at On Target. It's not a case of me going to SF instead of OT, it's going to SF instead on not going at all. You really have no idea how the marketplace works do you? Does Home Depot go out of business when Lowes opens across the street? I have no idea how SF stays in business, but I don't care. I would never buy an over priced firearm from them. They have never treated me poorly, though not many do. As long as their range fees are inexpensive and close, I will continue to go there as I see fit.

No idea how the marketplace works? Whatever dude, it's rather simple, as long as people like you keep supporting select fire and spending any amount of money there, you are increasing their chances of remaining in business, and decresing the chances of other better places keeping their doors open.

How does you going to Select Fire not affect the business at other ranges? If you are at Select Fire, it means you are not somewhere else. If you are spending money at Select Fire, it is not being spent somewhere else. if you are taking friends with you to shoot at Select Fire, they are not shooting somewhere else.

No, Home Depot does not go out of business because Lowe's moved in across the street. They go out of business because a bunch of people start shopping at Lowe's despite the higher prices, smaller selection, longer check out times, and poor cutomer service, all because it was easier for them than crossing the street.

You're the same guy saying "I have no idea how they stay in business"...YOU, YOU are how they stay in business.

Obviously, you are free to continue to go if you want, just means one less person in line when I go shooting at a decent shop. But don't sit there claiming you have no idea how they stay in business when you keep turning around and supporting them, and then using the flimsiest of reasons to justify it.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    The fact that I go to Select Fire once in a while in no way affects the business at On Target. It's not a case of me going to SF instead of OT, it's going to SF instead of not going at all.

...as long as people like you keep supporting select fire and spending any amount of money there, you are increasing their chances of remaining in business, and decresing the chances of other better places keeping their doors open.

How does you going to Select Fire not affect the business at other ranges? If you are at Select Fire, it means you are not somewhere else. If you are spending money at Select Fire, it is not being spent somewhere else. if you are taking friends with you to shoot at Select Fire, they are not shooting somewhere else.

You either don't know how to read, or you're saying he should not go shooting at all rather than go to SF. The former is forgivable. If it's the latter, that's your opinion, so stop berating others for the choices they decide (or have) to make.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    I've only been to to shoot at SF once, but everyone was very pleasant there and I would go back. I had my cell phone in my pocket and loaded magazines in my bag at the time too. The only other time there, they were typical gun store rude.

Generally, I find most gun store staff rude and ironically elitist so I'm not sure the drive them out of business angle is valid. Are we supposed to support the arguably slightly less rude folks at Ontarget or the arguably slightly less rude folks at Continental, Barts etc.

Just to be clear, I am not supporting SF, I just find the "you can't go there because I had a bad experience" kind of silly, particularly in light of the whole gun shop culture. If they are dumb enough to handle your complaints badly then don't go there, but don't give those who make different decisions a hard time.

Edited to add -- the folks at Freestate and The Gun Shop were exceptions to the general rule and generally seem to get the "don't treat your customers like crap" rule of retail. Why others don't just baffles me.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Last month I spent a whopping $9 trying out the new 1911 I bought at Bart's. If that $9 is the reason the SF stays in business and causes both FS and OT to go out of business, then you are correct and I have no idea how the marketplace operates. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Last month I spent a whopping $9 trying out the new 1911 I bought at Bart's. If that $9 is the reason the SF stays in business and causes both FS and OT to go our of business, then you are correct and I have no idea how the marketplace operates. :rolleyes:

Congrats. You gave them cheesesteak money.

Feb 28, 2013

This is when I would have said GFY, and turned around and walked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom