• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    Hey Meth I have a bunch of 8" and 6" circle steel that we use occasionally at our local fun range, you and I can get together one day and sling some pistol lead. They will withstand .223 because they're armor plate, haven't tried anything larger than that yet. I even have 2 silhouette plates that I'm gonna stretch out and touch on my buddies farm with my Remmie 700. Gonna shoot York match in May? Guys from work and I have submitted, two of the guys that were in the Center Mass class with us. Hope you make it, maybe we could all ride up together.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Why haven't I competed yet? Because I don't want to buy a shotgun, and I don't like paying money to loose.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Kilroy said:
    Why haven't I competed yet? Because I don't want to buy a shotgun, and I don't like paying money to lose.
    You gotta start somewhere if you want to get in the game.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Why haven't I competed yet? Because I don't want to buy a shotgun, and I don't like paying money to loose.

don't need shottie for idpa or uspsa or steel challenge or gssf. or the mayberry precision or tactical rifle matches.

i'm used to paying range fees, only to be able to shoot on static ranges and generally paper-only. i gladly pay the $20 or so for the local uspsa matches to be able to run around and shoot at, in some situations, steel targets.

you should get a shottie though - skeet, trap, wobble and sporting clays are a ton of fun and pretty low cost fun. and you can get in the game pretty inexpensively with a Rem 870 or the like.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    It was a speed steel match. Admittedly not the best choice for a first match but still. I have been thinking of going to an IDPA match but lack of funds to buy ammo has restricted me as of late and everything is over an hours drive from where I live.

I know no excuses. I will say that when I can get the $$ together to buy some ammo I will probably check out AAFG for an IDPA match

I "competed" in my second IDPA at AAFG yesterday. In the three times (first time was just to observe which they recommend) it has been nothing but kindness, and everyone has been more than helpful. If you are a beginner I think you will be in good company. The two times so far I think there has been at least 3-5 beginners including myself at each match.
    I say competed, but I really I think of it as $20 to be able to imagine being in 4-6 potential life situations. It is nice to compete and do your best, but also nice to walk away having some actual practice. Like everything, everyone has different motivations and levels of enthusiasm. For me, for now... I am just enjoying shooting something other that a sheet of paper 7yards down.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I like the way things are run at the York Izzak Walton range. I started shooting USPSA there in 2011. They have a blog that goes over safety rules as it pertains to matches, gear needed, basic range commands and so forth. You can go watch a match or bring you gear and give it a try. If you are new they try to squad you with experienced helpful shooters. I am not a very outgoing person but they did a good job of making me comfortable enough to start shooting.

I am hoping the people at Mayberry are as helpful because I have no idea what I am doing shooting past 200 yards.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I am hoping the people at Mayberry are as helpful because I have no idea what I am doing shooting past 200 yards.

Mayberry folks are great guys. But you really won't have a lot of fun at the match if you haven't shot past 200 yds and don't know where your gun hits at those distances.

Highly recommend you do whatever it takes to find a range that goes out to 600 yds and find out where your gun shoots from 25 - 600 yds. Use some quality ammo (eg, Federal Gold Medal) and print out their trajectory chart to use as a starting point.

Shoot from a bench or prone with sandbags or bipod to get good solid data, but then practice from all sorts of positions (standing, kneeling, against a wall, thru a portal in a wall, over a wall, etc).

Practice dialing your scope for the various distances, and also using the reticle lines to do holdovers for the various distances.

howard762

York Match Director
    Feb 2, 2012
    Stewartstown PA
    I like the way things are run at the York Izzak Walton range. I started shooting USPSA there in 2011. They have a blog that goes over safety rules as it pertains to matches, gear needed, basic range commands and so forth. You can go watch a match or bring you gear and give it a try. If you are new they try to squad you with experienced helpful shooters. I am not a very outgoing person but they did a good job of making me comfortable enough to start shooting.

Thanks, I'm really glad to hear that. I have a great group of guys and we really try to help new shooters. We have a lot of special stuff planned for this year. 2012 is going to be our best year yet at York.

Last edited:

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County

You're not paying money to lose, your paying money to practice shooting skills that you would not be able to on almost every range in this state. Unless you do this regularly, which most of us do not, you will run with the pack and discover places that you need improvement in your shooting skills.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    To me, the stages make the match, then comes the level of precision in which the competitors are cycled through them. I hate paying $150 to spend 3-4 minutes shooting less than 150 rounds, but taking 8 hours to do it. All day matches, with 12 man squads, blow.... especially when they waste an hour and a half on a lunch break.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Mayberry folks are great guys. But you really won't have a lot of fun at the match if you haven't shot past 200 yds and don't know where your gun hits at those distances.

Highly recommend you do whatever it takes to find a range that goes out to 600 yds and find out where your gun shoots from 25 - 600 yds. Use some quality ammo (eg, Federal Gold Medal) and print out their trajectory chart to use as a starting point.

Shoot from a bench or prone with sandbags or bipod to get good solid data, but then practice from all sorts of positions (standing, kneeling, against a wall, thru a portal in a wall, over a wall, etc).

Practice dialing your scope for the various distances, and also using the reticle lines to do holdovers for the various distances.

This. Mayberry is not three gun. Their matches are superb but you need to be prepared for them. Targets are long range and challenging (small). Without good dope you really aren't going to be able to learn.

Three gun however is a great shoot to learn match. Most distances are short (200 yards or less, with 90% under 50) with relatively generous targets. You can always borrow a shotgun. Three gun is really dependent on firearms manipulation and the only way to get better at that is to practice, and you can't practice until you have a really good idea of what you need to do. Besides, every one of these matches has sponsored professionals shooting in them- unless you are really good you aren't shooting to win, you are shooting to improve your skills.

Most CMP and highpower matches are good to learn on as well. They are heavy on the fundamentals (NPOA, trigger control) with forgiving targets (except for that 600 yard one) and introduce shooting from non bench positions (prone, sitting and offhand)

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Without good dope you really aren't going to be able to learn.

True to a point but I don't think it should stop someone from coming out. I just observed the last Black Hat shoot in PA and learned a ton. I've got calculated and unverified dope but my rifle for Mayberry is spankin new with the only shots ever fired at 200. Still going. Still expect to have a good time and learn a ton more. Its not that I don't care whether I am competitive. I think I can be eventually. Its more that I can't stand sitting on the sidelines. Gotta whiff a few fast balls before you get your swing in shape!

1time, if you don't have good dope you can get close with online tools. My FGMM 175s say 2600 FPS on the box and it actually came out to 2680 so its close. You can zero in 20 minutes at 100 or 200 yards on any range and with inexpensive glass at least learn the ropes, meet some people and see other people's gear.

You can also go to ShooterReady.com and use the demos or get the software. That will help you learn the basics of ranging objects and to use a range card if you don't know how.

SVrider

Nov 22, 2008
    St.Louis
    I shot my first steel match recently, and like others have said the main obstacle was finding a place and getting over the initial hurdle. First match i went to i just observed. I stood around for 3 hours but got to know the people, the equipment and the rules. I had done most of the research on my own but watching a video and seeing in person is different. I wasn't worried of showing my skills (or lack there of) but rather excited to try and become a great contender. I think bottom line is its a personal thing, you either wanna do it or not....I have fun and am staying competitive. :thumbsup:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I shot my first steel match recently, and like others have said the main obstacle was finding a place and getting over the initial hurdle. First match i went to i just observed. I stood around for 3 hours but got to know the people, the equipment and the rules. I had done most of the research on my own but watching a video and seeing in person is different. I wasn't worried of showing my skills (or lack there of) but rather excited to try and become a great contender. I think bottom line is its a personal thing, you either wanna do it or not....I have fun and am staying competitive. :thumbsup:
    Those are good points on going to your first match. I shot Bulleye matches at a local club well before I found speed steel. I had always wondered why my rapid fire runs were always higher than my slow and timed fire runs. I watched a couple of different matches then plunged in. Shot nothing but club matches for a couple of years, made some good friends, got some instruction for a top shooter, and learned how to practice properly. A couple of years ago I started shooting Steel Challenge Rimfire and Ruger Rimfire Challenge matches. Shot my first PSA Shootout 2 years ago with a borrowed gun. Won my first SC match in the Carbine Open division last year. Shot my first Ruger Rimfire World Championship last year, finished 14th in the pistol, 23rd overall. Last year had a custom STI racegun built for SC and started shooting USPSA pistol matches, along with IDPA matches. Getting a custom AR built for 3-gun this year and will start doing that about mid year.
    And all this started a few years ago when I hit 60 YO.
    Remember every club is going to have a wide spectrum of shooters from DBs to everyone's best friend. And you should assume that every clubs knows their bad apples. We had a match yesterday our club where a guest shooting a Glock had cycling problems (put a trigger kit in himself). One of our newer members loaned him a Sig in .40 he had in his gun bag as a spare so he could finish the match. Every club also has what I like to jokingly call the "Usual Suspects". These are the guys who show up to shoot every match regardless of weather. Only work will keep them away. If there is a match they don't have a gun for they will buy one. If you can't afford the ammo buy a .22LR as there are plenty of rimfire friendly steel matches. Or learn how to reload your own ammo. Rimfires in both pistols and rifles can be good cheap practice. It is muscle memory that makes shooters better not fancy equipment.
    Shoot fast and have fun.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I shoot in several pistol leagues and participate in NRA sanctioned matches.

* The 1st thing you should keep in mind when you compete is that you are competing against yourself. Don't worry about everybody else.

The way I started out learning the format of Bullseye pistol matches was by participating in "an INFORMAL" league held at the AGC about 7 years ago. This same match is held now every Tuesday night under the lights and heaters at 5:30 - 6:30 pm. This match is open to the general public and cost is $5 per week...I'll be there tonight. For anyone interested in getting into this sport, try to get there earlier if this is your 1st time so that you can get a good one on one introduction to the format and safety rules. Basically, it will be 2 slow fire targets, 2 time fire targets, and 2 rapid fire targets.

* To shoot in the AGC Tuesday pistol league you will need the following:

1. 22 Cal pistol and two magazines or revolver - No center fire is allowed during daylight savings time dates

2. About 100 rounds of ammo

3. Staple to post targets

4. Masking tape to repair targets

5. Pen

6 . Binoculars or spotting scope is helpful, but not required

7. Good attitude:)

What is great about informal pistol leagues is that you score yourself. It's the honor system. All scores are kept track of and the lewis/handicap system is used. It is a fun match!

If you would like to shoot under more formal conditions there are several formal leagues at other ranges, but I suggest starting at the AGC if you live near that range, which will allow you to ease in at a more friendly pace.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    True to a point but I don't think it should stop someone from coming out. I just observed the last Black Hat shoot in PA and learned a ton. I've got calculated and unverified dope but my rifle for Mayberry is spankin new with the only shots ever fired at 200. Still going. Still expect to have a good time and learn a ton more. Its not that I don't care whether I am competitive. I think I can be eventually. Its more that I can't stand sitting on the sidelines. Gotta whiff a few fast balls before you get your swing in shape!

1time, if you don't have good dope you can get close with online tools. My FGMM 175s say 2600 FPS on the box and it actually came out to 2680 so its close. You can zero in 20 minutes at 100 or 200 yards on any range and with inexpensive glass at least learn the ropes, meet some people and see other people's gear.

You can also go to ShooterReady.com and use the demos or get the software. That will help you learn the basics of ranging objects and to use a range card if you don't know how.

The problem with a match like mayberry for first stage learning is that the targets are small enough that without decent dope, you may not get any data to help you learn. There may not be an impact for you to adjust on. If you don't see your impact all you get is that the data you used was wrong and you don't know how to correct it.

The F class matches at quantico (when they have them) and the open range four shoots get you that initial data. Those are great learning matches. Bridgeville is the same way. One of their full XTC and modified f class matches also get you the data. Delmarva gives you out to three hundred as well IIRC.

I would not consider Mayberry an entry level learning match. An intermediate learing match? Definitely, but you need to do some prep work.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    The problem with a match like mayberry for first stage learning is that the targets are small enough that without decent dope, you may not get any data to help you learn. There may not be an impact for you to adjust on. If you don't see your impact all you get is that the data you used was wrong and you don't know how to correct it.

I agree with respect to making hits at the competition but for me its more than that. Its not expensive to run this course and you can learn a lot about the sport in general without making many (any? :facepalm:) hits. Even the cheapest ranging reticles will still be accurate enough to read for the UKD stage, right? Plus not all the shots are out to 600.

From reading through the CoF there are some areas that require specific techniques and positions that will be new to me so there is another area where I can practice and learn. We spent a lot of time in the Marines running around with rubber guns and learned a lot. If you are just there to get what you can and do what you can I'm pretty sure you'll get nothing but encouragement and walk away with a desire to empty your wallet for more gear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom