• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    So, I have been interested in buying some survival food in bulk, just in case. I have a wife, and 2 teenagers to prep for. I have 3 main brands I have been considering; Mountain House, Readywise, and Augason Farms. I have read online reviews, watched review videos, and while I take them with a grain of salt, I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the 3? I kinda have sensory overload, and information blockages.

The Mountain House, appears to have the best taste, and easiest prep, as you can just pour hot water in the pouch, then stir. That's a huge plus for me. I have been picking up some Mountain House packs at Walmart and storing them in buckets. I'll probably open, and try one soon myself to see how well I do. Mountain House appears to be the most expensive of the 3, but most convenient, and I can pick up packs at random when I go to Walmart for household supplies.

The Augason Farms appears to taste ok, have decent portions, and taste good, and decently affordable, but require more prep as in pots and pans. I think they also have a slightly longer lifespan date, 30 years compared to 25 with the others. Not sure if I can find Augason Farms food local.

The Readywise was the cheapest in bulk, but appears to be based on low cost, and in the videos the food didn't seem as appealing, or taste as good and was more soupy. It also required more prep, as far as pots and pans. Not sure if I can find it locally. They also seem to have a higher grade quality of food for hiking, which I think is what the Mountain House is marketed for.

To keep the thread focused, I already have some canned meats, ration bars, beans, rice, and other staples, so we don't need to stray. Mainly focused here on quick, ready to serve emergency food buckets. Thanks for your input, and any experiences with the 3.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Don’t discount a weeks worth (or more) of pouches. They are quick n easy. The initial hubbub that might signal more, extended shit show would be benefitted with the bags. You can move to cans and buckets following that.

I think your descending order is the correct one with MH at the top.

Rice n beans in gross amounts/buckets is good for longer term. Don’t forget oats and instant potatoes.

Cans of tuna and canned hams and soups are great and easy to set up.

Fruits and vegetables in dehydrated form are gonna be important too.

Costco has some killer deals online with good and decent stuff.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My only advise is the check the calorie count on them, Ready wise has a habit of not supplying enough calories per serving, necessitating using more servings to get the necessary calories.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    There are several threads here discussing long term food buckets, you might find some useful comparisons and personal experience/reviews in those threads.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    So, I have been interested in buying some survival food in bulk, just in case. I have a wife, and 2 teenagers to prep for. I have 3 main brands I have been considering; Mountain House, Readywise, and Augason Farms. I have read online reviews, watched review videos, and while I take them with a grain of salt, I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the 3? I kinda have sensory overload, and information blockages.

The Mountain House, appears to have the best taste, and easiest prep, as you can just pour hot water in the pouch, then stir. That's a huge plus for me. I have been picking up some Mountain House packs at Walmart and storing them in buckets. I'll probably open, and try one soon myself to see how well I do. Mountain House appears to be the most expensive of the 3, but most convenient, and I can pick up packs at random when I go to Walmart for household supplies.

The Augason Farms appears to taste ok, have decent portions, and taste good, and decently affordable, but require more prep as in pots and pans. I think they also have a slightly longer lifespan date, 30 years compared to 25 with the others. Not sure if I can find Augason Farms food local.

The Readywise was the cheapest in bulk, but appears to be based on low cost, and in the videos the food didn't seem as appealing, or taste as good and was more soupy. It also required more prep, as far as pots and pans. Not sure if I can find it locally. They also seem to have a higher grade quality of food for hiking, which I think is what the Mountain House is marketed for.

To keep the thread focused, I already have some canned meats, ration bars, beans, rice, and other staples, so we don't need to stray. Mainly focused here on quick, ready to serve emergency food buckets. Thanks for your input, and any experiences with the 3.
    IMHO, you’ll do just as well by buying conventional supplies (rice, beans, pasta) as dry goods and storing them in containers that seal well.

Check periodically to ensure that vermin (bugs and rodents) don’t infiltrate, and they should be good for years.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Also double check the servings. Ready Wise has a habit of putting in a lot of high calorie drinks that count as “servings.”

I have a mix of the three, but I lean toward Augason Farms and Mountain House.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    IMHO, you’ll do just as well by buying conventional supplies (rice, beans, pasta) as dry goods and storing them in containers that seal well.

Check periodically to ensure that vermin (bugs and rodents) don’t infiltrate, and they should be good for years.
    You can toss some diatomaceous earth in with things like rice and dry beans as a just in case against vermin.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also double check the servings. Ready Wise has a habit of putting in a lot of high calorie drinks that count as “servings.”

I have a mix of the three, but I lean toward Augason Farms and Mountain House.
    Ditto. Though mine is mostly Augason farms. Taste and utility is good enough, price is lower than Mountain House. Next most is Mountain House. I have a little bit of ready wise, but meh. Not worth the bit of price savings IMHO.

One thing to not discount is a good meal. I have a few meals of Peak Refuel. 100% billed as backpacker meals for sure, and $$$ compared to any of the above listed. I lean on them heavily for backpacking and hunting when I am camping. VERY tasty. If I ranked flavors

Ready wise, 2-3
    Auguson farms, 3-4
    Mountain house, 5-6
    Peak Refuel, 8-9

1 would be unpalatable.
    2 makes me sad
    3 tastes okay if I am pretty hungry
    4 tastes fine even if I am not hungry
    5 is decent
    6 is actually a little tasty
    7 is a pretty good meal
    8 is very good
    9 is delicious
    10 might as well be a 5 star resturaunt.

Okay, Peak Refuel might not really be an 8-9, but I'd call them a 6-8. Some of their stuff like the chicken alfredo is extremely good and you would not guess you are eating rehydrated food. Their cold breakfast stuff, even with hot water applied are okay, but kind of overly sweat and a little thin (like their wild berry granola). I can make better oatmeal with berries in it with some dried berries, quick oats and some milk.

Anyway, I would not stock up on Peak Refuel unless you are made from money. Since I am typically consuming all of 3-6 meals of it a year, it is worth paying 50% more than mountain house. And I keep a few meals on hand for my family of 5. Again, never underestimate the power of a tasty meal. Fed is better than starving, but good food is best.

Auguson farms also makes a 72hr 1-person meal bag that fits in a backpack just fine. In my 42l go bag, it takes up maybe 1/3rd of the main pocket (maybe 6-8 liters?)

Amazon product ASIN B08GYG3MQ9
    Also 48hr 4-person meal buckets that are small. Though I've never tried those

Amazon product ASIN B0752GNVZX
    Their 72-hr 1-person bags are easy to carry, well sealed and they DO really need stuff, but a canteen cup is just fine to make the food in. I keep an alcohol stove in my go bag, 1qt canteen nested in a canteen cup, a 72-hr 1-person good bag, isobutane pocket stove and 8oz fuel canister. Plus a couple of 1l water bottles. Some coffee cliff bars and some dried berries. On top of tools, poncho, spare socks, etc. Similar tucked in my wife's go bag. Even if we didn't pack another thing, for our family of 5, that would probably cover us for food for 2 days split up. And I have a case of 12oz water bottles in the garage that is easy to toss in a vehicle on the way out the door.

For in the house stuff, I have a few more of those 72hr meal bags, because I ran them down on sale, so I think I got 5 of them? 6? Most of the other stuff I have are individual ingredients or individual meals. I don't have a "bucket" of anything. Just 10# cans of things like mountain house lasagna, Auguson powdered butter, etc. All told, maybe 2 weeks of freeze dried meals for my family of 5. But also freeze dried ingredients to use for cooking that would probably last a few months (a 10# container of dried butter goes a long way...).

Most of my stuff are things like rice and beans for shelf stable food. And if need be, I have a manual grinding mill and around 200-250#s of malted barely for brewing. Easy enough to make hard tack or bread from that. Or just make dough and eat it.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    When I still had to be in the office for work Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring was selling Wise food buckets so I stocked up on them and found them ok tasting , They said they could get Mountain House so they ordered a bunch for me , I think that they were stocking and ordering that stuff because a couple of the guys were stockpiling it and they could use their employee discount .
    I do a lot of canning here now that I have time and access to all kinds of vegetables and eggs from my place

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Not going to say they don’t have a place in preps, but the old stand by of beans and rice I believe is a better solution especially if planning for months.

As stated in multiple MDS prepper threads, I buy rice, beans and legumes in bulk. I bake them at 225f for 2hrs (kills any bugs and dries them out). I then vac seal them with desiccant packs.
    I also have a lot of commercially canned meats.
    The buckets are great for people with disposable cash or very little spare time.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Not going to say they don’t have a place in preps, but the old stand by of beans and rice I believe is a better solution especially if planning for months.

Also known to be beneficial if you prefer your honey with a rotund posterior. As profoundly stated by well known dietary and physical appearance consultant Sir Mix A Lot, they won't miss her.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Also known to be beneficial if you prefer your honey with a rotund posterior. As profoundly stated by well known dietary and physical appearance consultant Sir Mix A Lot, they won't miss her.
    :D
    Not for the current events, but for SHTF. I think we’ll both work it off, or go OMAD.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My only advise is the check the calorie count on them, Ready wise has a habit of not supplying enough calories per serving, necessitating using more servings to get the necessary calories.

This.

Even if you look at Mountain House packages, they are "multiple servings" but in their boxes and buckets, they give you one pouch per meal, which is good.

ReadWise and several others count one serving per meal, so only about 1000 calories per day.

Basal number is a minimum of 2000 calories per day, more if working hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom