FNP: Kid brings 22 handgun to school and charged wity poss. of regulated ammo.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    They wanted to hit him with as much as possible, just in case. You know how the courts do this crap...they give the DA as many charges as possible and they pick which one(s) to prosecute, whichever gives him/her the best chance of winning.

He DID have a regulated firearm on him and, since he had no OTHER firearm in his immediate possession (in fact he legally couldn't own one), there is no reasonable expectation that the ammo was intended for use in a NON-regulated firearm.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    That law is bogus. There's no such thing as ammunition designed for use solely in what Maryland deems to be a regulated firearm. Expect this language in the law to be attacked in the next legislative session.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Isn't the md law, you have to be 18 to buy ammo? Hence they use the word regulated? Just a thought.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    This is the exact reason why MSI opposed HB519 this year and it was subsequently amended to remove that language due to our testimony.

The prosecutors testifying in favor of the bill said that they needed discretion and would never apply it in this manner. :rolleyes:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    besides....he can't be charged with "ammunition designed solely for use in a regulated firearm" in this case because .22 ammo is used in a non-regulated firearm.

Now, on the gun charge.....he's screwed.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    as far as "regulated ammunition goes the kids was probably charged under this statute
    http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/29/29.03.01.28.htm

.28 Sales of Firearms or Ammunition to Minors.
    A person may not sell, rent, or transfer:

A. Ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm to a person who is younger than 21 years old; or

B. A firearm, other than a regulated firearm, ammunition for a firearm, pepper mace, or other deadly weapon to a minor.

For the record the kid is an idiot and he needs a good lawyer as the COMAR does not strictly prohibit the possesion of any ammunition by a minor just the sale or transfer to.

Copenhaver

Feb 19, 2011
    St.Marys
    See, and I swore I saw some kids in the bathroom at great mills a few years back were looking at a pistol. It looked like a really abused Hi point, but I just thought it was an airsoft at the time.

I know for a fact this one kid was carrying an unloaded revolver, looked like a little .38 S&W. It was one of those kids that did stupid crap for attention, like show off anything illegal. He flashed it and started laughing at us, and he never got caught. They searched him and couldn't find anything on him, thats what scared me.

So it sadly seems to be a common thing

rglrguy

Dec 15, 2010
    Harford
    I'd like to hear more of the backstory on this one. I don't think that kids should be bringing firearms to school. However, I don't think this is much unlike what some other folks on this board do. It sounds like he felt a perceived threat against his safety and he decided to arm himself in self-defense. He did so illegally but I am sure people here would choose to conceal their regulated handgun illegally if they felt they may need it.

We don't know the threats against him or if this would have even been an appropriate use of force but I believe that he knew this was illegal and chose to do so anyway. He is an idiot for showing other kids at school though...

*I don't advocate breaking any laws and I don't condone school violence

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    How did he obtain this firearm? Bought it on the street? Took it from his parents?

Need more info here. If he bought it on the street...nothing you can do about that. If he took it from home, parents are idiot's.

hailtoby

Running with the Devil.
    Sep 5, 2009
    Charles County
    How did he obtain this firearm? Bought it on the street? Took it from his parents?

Need more info here. If he bought it on the street...nothing you can do about that. If he took it from home, parents are idiot's.

Even if the kid got the gun from home, he was 15; you cant entirely blame that on the parents being idiots. 7 or 8 years old, yeah, blame the parents, but at 15, he knew exactly what he was doing and how to do it.

At 15, there wasnt anything my parents could have done to keep me from taking one of their guns to school if thats what I wanted to do.

Nothing short of not having guns in the house.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Unless more information comes out, there's not much to say here. We don't know who the kid is, where the gun came from, or any real details about the incident that led to the carrying of the gun. It could be a bullied kid who finally had enough of being beaten up or he could just as easily be a wannabe gangbanger (there was a high profile incident involving a bunch of white bread wannabes in suburban Crofton). Hard to say without any details.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    Even if the kid got the gun from home, he was 15; you cant entirely blame that on the parents being idiots. 7 or 8 years old, yeah, blame the parents, but at 15, he knew exactly what he was doing and how to do it.

At 15, there wasnt anything my parents could have done to keep me from taking one of their guns to school if thats what I wanted to do.

Nothing short of not having guns in the house.

So locking up the gun in a Safe bolted to the floor wouldn't have done any good?

hailtoby

Running with the Devil.
    Sep 5, 2009
    Charles County
    So locking up the gun in a Safe bolted to the floor wouldn't have done any good?

Nope, not when I was 15. Im not saying that I was a safecracker or that a safe in somebody else's house wouldn't have kept me out, but in my own house, I would have been able to get inside of it.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    Nope, not when I was 15. Im not saying that I was a safecracker or that a safe in somebody else's house wouldn't have kept me out, but in my own house, I would have been able to get inside of it.

Were your parents in the habit of leaving a blowtorch laying around? In the use of which you were proficient?

My 800 pound Browning stops my kids dead in their tracks. The only person who knows the combination besides me is 2,000 miles away.

Now I concede that plastique would quickly resolve the matter. But finding it is a non trivial challenge for a 15 (or 45) year old, even if collateral damage were not a consideration...

My parents had a floor safe in their closet when I was a kid, and I knew what was in it and could get into it any time... but that was because my Dad never locked it:lol2::lol2: Don't ask me why...:sad20:

But a safe like the one I have would have stymied me. And I LOVE high explosives:D

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    Were your parents in the habit of leaving a blowtorch laying around? In the use of which you were proficient?

My 800 pound Browning stops my kids dead in their tracks. The only person who knows the combination besides me is 2,000 miles away.

Now I concede that plastique would quickly resolve the matter. But finding it is a non trivial challenge for a 15 (or 45) year old, even if collateral damage were not a consideration...

My parents had a floor safe in their closet when I was a kid, and I knew what was in it and could get into it any time... but that was because my Dad never locked it:lol2::lol2: Don't ask me why...:sad20:

But a safe like the one I have would have stymied me. And I LOVE high explosives:D

I would have watched you many times open that safe and wrote down the combination or any hints of the combination, after a couple of times of watching you I would have had some data to make trial and error much effective. Heck in this day and age i would have had a hidden wireless webcam zoomed on that safe dial if I wanted to get into it.

I would have came up with many reason for you to open that safe. "hey dad lets go shooting, he dad I am building a website promoting the constitution and need a picture of a gun, hey dad I am doing a report for school on gun safety, can you tell me about your safe"

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads