• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Need a bit more information, which model are you looking at. If its a hecate, yes. Get it, its a pretty rare rifle in the US. Where did you find one?

EDIT: Their french, distributed through FNH. Made by PGM.

Of course, if you can afford the gun, you can afford the ammo, so i wont go into the "Can you afford to shoot .338" question

Jbenfer

Apr 14, 2011
    Its a hectate and its my little secret lol sorry just trying to get some info before I pull the trigger

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If you really want/need .338 no. If you are looking for an entry level gun Savage has introduced a lightweight at under $1300.

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    If you really want/need .338 no. If you are looking for an entry level gun Savage has introduced a lightweight at under $1300.

Theres a collectors value associated with the Hecate rifles, Very very rare rifle here in the US, very expensive rifle. And one i doubt you'd lose much money on selling to another collector. But if you just want to shoot .338 lapua there are better options, if you want a very cool, guarenteed conversation starter, get the Hecate.

60623.jpg

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    Unless your collecting or something, no it's not worth the money. For $6500 you can build a full custom 338 lapua with only the best of the best components.

I would use a defiance, raptor (made by defiance), or BAT action, any premium barrel maker (broughton, brux, bartlien, krieger, hart, lilja, etc), Jewell trigger, McMillan or manners stock, or a chassis such as the AI AX (I believe is what it's called) or even ashbury international. Heck you can get a supressor too and still be under $6500! Except with the $2500 ashbury chassis, you can top it with a nightforce, used Schmidt & Bender, or US Optics scope and still be around or below $6500!!

I have no idea why firearms like that, or most of barrett's are so expensive! Sure they're "reliable" well with a bolt gun, really not a whole lot can go seriously wrong... While I wouldn't crawl through a swamp or desert with a BAT action (too tight) a defiance, would be fine, heck for this amount of money you could just as well get the bolt turned down a hair for a looser fit, or get one or two extra bolts if it craps out!

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Unless your collecting or something, no it's not worth the money. For $6500 you can build a full custom 338 lapua with only the best of the best components.

I would use a defiance, raptor (made by defiance), or BAT action, any premium barrel maker (broughton, brux, bartlien, krieger, hart, lilja, etc), Jewell trigger, McMillan or manners stock, or a chassis such as the AI AX (I believe is what it's called) or even ashbury international. Heck you can get a supressor too and still be under $6500! Except with the $2500 ashbury chassis, you can top it with a nightforce, used Schmidt & Bender, or US Optics scope and still be around or below $6500!!

I have no idea why firearms like that, or most of barrett's are so expensive! Sure they're "reliable" well with a bolt gun, really not a whole lot can go seriously wrong... While I wouldn't crawl through a swamp or desert with a BAT action (too tight) a defiance, would be fine, heck for this amount of money you could just as well get the bolt turned down a hair for a looser fit, or get one or two extra bolts if it craps out!

Uh, it's not like we're talking about a run of the mill custom built on a remington 700 here. These are already built with high quality components.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Uh, it's not like we're talking about a run of the mill custom built on a remington 700 here. These are already built with high quality components.

:thumbsup: this...their one of those rifles that are just stellar from the start and need no work what-so-ever.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    You missed Oliver's point, slim. OP didn't define his purpose, so you can't say whether or not the rifle is "worth it" or not. If the OP just wants a good range gun, then no, not worth the money. Collector's item, different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom