• Jwunder

Jun 24, 2010
    Berwyn Heights
    Really? No pictures yet?

I like the look with the Silencerco Osprey
    45tacosprey.jpg

Some like them brown...
    Photo1FNP45withOsprey.jpg

Fellow MDshooters member SkunkWerX's new one with a good picture of the case:
    dsc01702ko.jpg

And this one is mine
    45taccase1.jpg

Really wanted a MK23 but 2k is hard to justify to myself. Luckily the FN came along and added a more comfortable grip for me, a few more rounds, and the mounting capacity for the red dot.

Still drool over the MK23 though.

If you don't like the threaded barrel or high sights there is a "competition" model or something like that that has the slide cut out for the red dot and a fiber optic front sight. Mark has one at 2A.

I would probably rate my old German P226 and PSP above this for several reasons (plastic still doesn't thrill me) but I am even more happy with the FN than I even thought I would be. I will probably sell my XD .45 once I have a few hundred more rounds through this to be sure it is reliable. So far so good though.

Now to see about that trust...

Suleiman

Feb 11, 2011
    Indian Head
    Being an HK fan I can tell you that the MK23 deserves to be at the top of any list comparing .45 pistols.
    In endurance testing it managed to have an average of 6000 rounds shot through it between stoppages. It is over engineered, incredibly durable, and in most cases too large to be practical.
    I recently read on another forum that some local range had one available as a rental. They had over 60,000 (probably closer to 75,000) rounds through it without a single cleaning or lubrication and didn't have a single hiccup until the something went wrong inside the trigger assembly.
    It comes with a soft case for Pistol, Mags, Suppressor, and tools as well.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Alright, so, if the tactical is that amazing, and has so much that no other has, then why is it number four on that list? What makes the hk's and the 1911's better?

Not being a smart ass, just wondering. Still new to pistols.

The list had no real order, I was just running off what my experience shows are the leaders. The mk23 is still king due to its accuracy, then the fnp tactical, then usp tactical.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Well, I may just have to save up for a tactical then...
    Not like I don't have the time to save my pennies, can't buy it till november, but I'd sure love to get my hands on one to try it out

sean05

May 20, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I havent got to shoot my FNP9 since its stuck in jail but from everything I have read I am not going to be disappointed. And how can you not just want this:

5477184504_c6097b121b_z.jpg

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    I'd like to check out a FNP45 tac. I'm just curious as to how it would feel in my hands. I have smaller hands and so far i have had trouble finding a decent sized .45 platform that fits me well. The FNX9 fits nice with the smaller backstrap. Would this be the same with the 45? I tried out a 1911 and a Sig 250 but they both seemed just a bit to big.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    I'd like to check out a FNP45 tac. I'm just curious as to how it would feel in my hands. I have smaller hands and so far i have had trouble finding a decent sized .45 platform that fits me well. The FNX9 fits nice with the smaller backstrap. Would this be the same with the 45? I tried out a 1911 and a Sig 250 but they both seemed just a bit to big.

If a 1911 is too big for you the FNP45 will be WAAAY too big. It's got a monstrous grip, and I say that having an XD45 as my bedside pistol. Even with the smallest backstrap I doubt it will be comfortable for you. It seems to me to be much bigger than the 9mm's.

kfrede86

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2010
    St. Marys
    Yes the 1911's i looked at were big. It was hard for me to reach my thumb to hit the mag release without shifting my whole hand. What about an HK USP45? The shop i went to didn't have any and i don't think its something they usually carry.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    How's the recoil on the FN .45Tac versus a 1911? The slide looks like it sits really high on the gun, and would have a lot of muzzle flip under recoil. Not true?

If it's anything like my standard FNP-45, the recoil is quite manageable. I can pretty much double-tap with it accurately.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Yes the 1911's i looked at were big. It was hard for me to reach my thumb to hit the mag release without shifting my whole hand. What about an HK USP45? The shop i went to didn't have any and i don't think its something they usually carry.

I have a HK USP in .45 ACP, and I would say it's a very large gun. I'm a big guy so it works great for me.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish

It's not uncommon to have to shift your grip a little to reach the mag release. I dunno about other guys, but that's the case for me with most of my pistols. I don't think the USP45's grip is quite as big as an FNP45, but it's still a doublestack .45 so there's nothing small about it. Honestly, being a single stack gun, they don't get much slimmer than a 1911 in .45, so if you have small hands, you might want to consider a smaller caliber. There's absolutely nothing wrong with 9mm. Just stay away from .40. If you're into the HKs, check out their newer HK45 or I think it's the PM30 in 9mm; I've fondled them and the grips are VERY ergonomically friendly, at least for me.

Just throwin' it out there, you might wanna get your hands on a Ruger SR9. They're pretty affordable, I think around $500 maybe even slightly less, and while they have a doublestack 17-round mag, the grip is still quite slim. They also have a compact model if you're interested in a carry gun.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Unless you guys have the hands of a small child theres no reason you cant handle a USP or FNP45.

If my 13 and 11 year old can one hand a FN FiveseveN (It has a bigger grip than a USP or FN Tactical), then you can.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It's not uncommon to have to shift your grip a little to reach the mag release. I dunno about other guys, but that's the case for me with most of my pistols. I don't think the USP45's grip is quite as big as an FNP45, but it's still a doublestack .45 so there's nothing small about it. Honestly, being a single stack gun, they don't get much slimmer than a 1911 in .45, so if you have small hands, you might want to consider a smaller caliber. There's absolutely nothing wrong with 9mm. Just stay away from .40. If you're into the HKs, check out their newer HK45 or I think it's the PM30 in 9mm; I've fondled them and the grips are VERY ergonomically friendly, at least for me.

+1. I haven't had a chance to shoot a hk45 yet, but the gun felt amazing in the hand. if you're concerned about shifting your grip to release the magazine, the hk45's also have the trigger guard mag release you can hit with your trigger finger. Essentially, it's what would happen if my p99 hooked up with a usp45 in some hot german handgun lovins.

My hands aren't the largest, but the fnp45 felt fine. It's strange in that it feels HUGE when you first put it in your hands, but after playing with it for a while it shrinks to feel smaller(shutup clandestine :lol2:).

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Unless you guys have the hands of a small child theres no reason you cant handle a USP or FNP45.

If my 13 and 11 year old can one hand a FN FiveseveN (It has a bigger grip than a USP or FN Tactical), then you can.

what!? when did they legalize cloning?

Suleiman

Feb 11, 2011
    Indian Head

Just throwin' it out there, you might wanna get your hands on a Ruger SR9. They're pretty affordable, I think around $500 maybe even slightly less, and while they have a doublestack 17-round mag, the grip is still quite slim. They also have a compact model if you're interested in a carry gun.

Kfrede I noticed you're in Southern MD. I have both a HK45c and a P30L in 9mm if you want to give either of them a shot. Just let me know and we can meet up a Myrtle Grove or something.
    I can swap out backstraps on the .45 and both backstraps and side grip panels on the P30L to whatever is comfortable for you. I use large ones for better finger placement on the trigger even though I have medium sized hands.
    I find that with the release on the trigger guard I usually use my trigger finger to release a magazine. That makes it so I don't change my grip at all.
    -Suleiman

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom