• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    The FN trigger is very good - but as Russ commented, it's not even close to an X5. It's a bit heavier, plus it's DA/SA. You can carry it Condition 1 - which is very nice. The only thing I would change on mine is having Clandestine do a nice trigger job on it.

I think I have some pics somewhere. I'll see if I can scare 'em up.

Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    IMG_0267.jpg

I took a quick pic while I was packing up for a 3-gun a few weeks ago. The FN and the X5 have a very similar feel. Almost identical grip angle. They both feel a lot like a 1911 - except the FN is a double-stack .45. The grip is HUGE - even with the small backstraps. I have huge hands, so it's not much of a worry. I can easily handle it - but it will be bigger than most other handguns. I use the X5 for 3-gun, and the FN as a backup. Russ is right - 9mm is the way to go for open class 3-gun. I always shoot open, so I can switch to the FN if needed because of the optic. I use the FN for tactical courses, since it's polymer and can easily take the beating. Especially when Perroni makes us crawl around in the rocks... :innocent0

Lots of thanks to the local vendors here - they helped me acquire all of these. I built the AR myself - all LaRue. The X5, plus all the parts necessary to get it up and running for competition came from Midcounty. He's worth the drive. The FN stuff - 2A in Laurel.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Thanks, Apone. I think I may pick up an FN .45 Tactical. I wanted an SVI, but they're not on Maryland's handgun roster, and part of the roster application requires I give them my gun for a while. I don't think so.

1302.jpg

I may just get an STI Edge in .40, and with the $ left over, get 1/2 dozen mags and an FN .45 Tactical.

Who's holster do you use for the FN? I like Serpa's, but don't see one for the .45 Tactical.

Apone

May 1, 2009
    Salida, CO
    I use the Blade-Tech DOH holster for the FNP-45. Works great with the tactical - but if you put an optic on it, you will have to dremel out the top opening a bit to make the pistol fit with the red dot on it.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    Mine came in yesterday and i will pick it up in a week. I haven't shot it, but i noticed the slide lock/release is hard to use to release the slide it is very flush to the body. Anyone else with the FNP 45 have a similar issue.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Mine came in yesterday and i will pick it up in a week. I haven't shot it, but i noticed the slide lock/release is hard to use to release the slide it is very flush to the body. Anyone else with the FNP 45 have a similar issue.

This all comes down to the intention of the designer. Many people feel that the slide stop is just that, it is to lock the slide open manually, not to "release" it from the locked position during a reload. I have read many articles from instructors who believe it's better to train people to rack the slide by gripping it and "slingshot"ing it to chamber a round after inserting a new magazine. A lower-profile slide stop is also less prone to being pressed upward, locking the slide during firing with a partially full magazine as well.

You may be able to find a gunsmith who can alter the slide stop in order to suit your needs, if the lever is too "flat" and hard to press down with your thumb alone.

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    I don't bother with the slide release, just cover the slide with my weak hand, give it a tug rearward and let go. This reduces the motions I have to memorize, whether I'm putting in the first mag or the 3rd, its the same motion: hit mag release, slide in loaded mag, cover and pull slide, release.

(okay, so I saw it on one of those late night gun shows on the "sportsman" channel and decided to give it a try. Works well and has overcome the one reason I wasn't going to get the FNP in the first place - the small, stamped-steel slide release)

Good luck.

^^^^^^ see what happens when I over-think my answer!! someone beats me to it... :|

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    This all comes down to the intention of the designer. Many people feel that the slide stop is just that, it is to lock the slide open manually, not to "release" it from the locked position during a reload. I have read many articles from instructors who believe it's better to train people to rack the slide by gripping it and "slingshot"ing it to chamber a round after inserting a new magazine. A lower-profile slide stop is also less prone to being pressed upward, locking the slide during firing with a partially full magazine as well.

You may be able to find a gunsmith who can alter the slide stop in order to suit your needs, if the lever is too "flat" and hard to press down with your thumb alone.

Well i been trained on both ways. At my current job i am trained to use the slide lock/release (P226). And i have no problem with it, i also use the same thing on my Glocks and no issues with them. I am just hoping the gun is really tight (new) and will get better. I can still do it, but it takes pretty much both thumbs.

Again i didn't have a chance to really use it, i just played with it a bit while filling out the paperwork.

And yes, it it too "flat", i notice that once the slide is fwd the slide lock is actually not as flat. It looks like since i use it to lock the slide to the rear with my right hand thumb; Once is locked the actual slide lock moves just a bit to the right and it becomes almost flush with the frame and and hard to push down. If i look on the right side it sticks out a bit and i can operate it with one thumb only. So i guess the side play alone makes it a problem.

Maybe while shooting the slide will lock itself back and the lever will be sticking out far enough to not be and issue.

I don't bother with the slide release, just cover the slide with my weak hand, give it a tug rearward and let go. This reduces the motions I have to memorize, whether I'm putting in the first mag or the 3rd, its the same motion: hit mag release, slide in loaded mag, cover and pull slide, release.

(okay, so I saw it on one of those late night gun shows on the "sportsman" channel and decided to give it a try. Works well and has overcome the one reason I wasn't going to get the FNP in the first place - the small, stamped-steel slide release)

Good luck.

^^^^^^ see what happens when I over-think my answer!! someone beats me to it... :|

Yeah thanks, i will see what happens over time, if it does not get better i will shoot a letter to FN, i think this is something that should be look into.

I really don't care what method works, but i like to stick with the same motion all the time.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    Well i picked it up and shot 100 round on her, the slide lock/release worked fine. I think as long as the gun locks it up by itself there's no issues using it to release it. But if i lock the slide back, it gets pushed in too close to the frame and is hard to use.

Shoots very nice, glad i got it. Now the wait game for a good holster for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom