• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    This is all good information. I have read all of these talking about to and from BWI/DCA to another city. Does anyone have any real experience traveling with a handgun where there are a couple connections between origin and destination?

Coming back from Missouri once we flew out of a small airport in Arkansas and connected through Charlotte, NC. Same thing, zero issues. Also had to connect through Houston on the way back from El Paso with no problems.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    All folks flying with firearms should take advantage of a BIG FIREARMS CASE.

Don't limit yourself to using a small gun case when traveling by air. Use an oversize case to carry your firearm, which will also provide room for your crucial personal belongings to travel as checked luggage with YOUR PERSONAL LOCK-- AND NOT A TSA LOCK. The sad facts is that TSA lock keys are universal and circulate throughout every corner of the the baggage handling system.

Using your personal lock to secure more than just your firearm affords the most protection possible.

Paging swinokur to describe the many ways he has done this.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    :thumbsup:

I used to transport TV broadcast gear in large Pelican cases. Toss in a handgun and it then becomes completely legal to lock the case with a real lock that only I had the key to.

As Rack mentioned, you can then toss in your personal items and those items are then secured as well.

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Just because there is no tag on your case indicating it contains a firearm doesn't mean the airline doesn't know what it is. They have other ways. Leaving Vegas a year or two ago, United airlines gave me a receipt with a number on it. I noticed a small sticker with the same number with a bar code put on the case.

Ever wonder why sometimes your case ends up in the luggage office and not the carousel at some airports?

yep.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My experience is that, no matter what you expect, it will be different. Even at the same airport.

We used to travel a lot with our shoguns, but the are O/U so the case does not look like a gun case, unless you are knowledgeable.

But, due to the value, we would always put extra insurance on them.

We have had them come off on the normal carousel with all the other luggage. We have had them come off the oversized bag line (and they are not that big). And we have had to claim them at the baggage office, sometime ID required, sometimes not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom