• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyhimd

Aug 12, 2014
    i have a two-gun StakOn metal case with an electronic lock. The airline rules address keyed locks. Has anyone flown either airline or others with these types of cases? Also, can the locked case go inside soft-sided luggage locked with a TSA lock?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There is no key backup in case of electronic lock failure? The Federal statute says the passenger retains the key or combination. In that regard, it would seem to be ok, but iANAL. Yes your firearm case can go in soft sided luggage with a TSA lock on the bag. I've stopped locking my bags with a TSA lock. Virtually every trip I've taken in the last couple years the TSA lock is missing when I retrieve my bag. I got tired of the expense.

I travel with a small Gunvault brand case with the touch pad electronic lock, but it has a key backup and I always have the key with me. If the electronic lock breaks and TSA wants to open the case, if you can't open it they may prohibit it from being put on the aircraft. I had a TSA agent at Dulles Xray request to open the case. I had him bring it to me and opened it with the key for him to inspect.

The TSA regs state the case must be lockable, with no reference to the type

Firearms and Ammunition

Traveling with Special Items

Travelers may only transport UNLOADED firearms in a locked, hard-sided container as checked baggage. The container must be completely secured from being accessed. All firearms, ammunition and firearm parts, including firearm frames, receivers, clips and magazines are prohibited in carry-on baggage.
    I did not read the airlines policy for the carrier you're using however.

YMMV

flyhimd

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks swinokur I have a backup key. Thanks for sharing the info on your experience. There are the published regs, then there's reality! Appreciate the info.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    i have a two-gun StakOn metal case with an electronic lock. The airline rules address keyed locks. Has anyone flown either airline or others with these types of cases? Also, can the locked case go inside soft-sided luggage locked with a TSA lock?

Word of advice

Familiarize yourself with procedures and individual airports you are flying in/out of.

You do not have to turn over your keys to an agent (TSA) or otherwise if they declare they have to inspect after checking your bag with airline.....you have a right to be there and witness the inspection.

Some airports are friendlier/easier than others and are set up to be more conducive to avoiding issues.

Reagan/National is easy.....you check bag/carry it to the scanning machine, watch it go through and they give you the thumbs up or indicate they need to inspect further.....easy/peasy

Vegas is quite hostile/unfriendly......you check bags and they go off to lala land......then you go through TSA, onto a tram and off to the terminal........if there is an issue you need to go ALL the way back to baggage check and THEN go through TSA a SECOND time.....and the morons dont have the sense to page folks at the terminal......they try to page at baggage check.....duh......

TSA has a bad habit of making up rules as they go.....I would suggest writing them for list of rules/procedures for inspection etc.

flyhimd

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks jpk1md. DFW and Little Rock...I'll def check both. I'm guessing both are quite used metal polymer travelers, but this is my first time traveling with arms, and caution is smart. It's a big leap up from nail clippers.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Thanks jpk1md. DFW and Little Rock...I'll def check both. I'm guessing both are quite used metal polymer travelers, but this is my first time traveling with arms, and caution is smart. It's a big leap up from nail clippers.

DFW is generally a breeze. I came back through there last summer and the ticket agent (female) asked me to open my case holding a 1907 Springfield. She said her Grandfather had one, and her brother often traveled with his rifle for hunting.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have never had a problem with any airport.

Mainly flew Delta when traveling with the shotguns.

Funniest one was at BWI, in the Priority line, and we noticed that EVERY person in the Priority line at that time had a firearm. :) Most were going hunting. A few to Argentina for pigeon, others out west for big game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom