• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Because concealed carry is more than just firing a gun. Its concepts, application, understanding, knowledge, etc.

A novice can fire a gun and hit the target. People who have never touched a gun before have successfully fired in self-defense. Concealed carry training is a never ending learning process.
    I hear ya, and I agree, but that is in a perfect world. Most shall issue states issue solely on the basis of the 2A and a persons background. If you are clean you get a permit. Based on that, think of how many people have a CCP and have never had any kind of training and possibly never even fired a gun.

I support the 2A 100%, but it is very contradicting to argue that people should have CC training before getting a permit and also support the 2A. The 2A does not state that a person must be trained before they can keep and bear arms.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I hear ya, and I agree, but that is in a perfect world. Most shall issue states issue solely on the basis of the 2A and a persons background. If you are clean you get a permit. Based on that, think of how many people have a CCP and have never had any kind of training and possibly never even fired a gun.

I support the 2A 100%, but it is very contradicting to argue that people should have CC training before getting a permit and also support the 2A. The 2A does not state that a person must be trained before they can keep and bear arms.

Personal responsibility does though and anyone exercising their rights should take the responsibility to get trained and it not be mandated. I also am torn by this issue, especially when I see folks that don't train at all or go to the range once every couple of months and then talk about how they carry when they are out of state, scares me to tell the truth.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    Not gonna waste my time arguing with you... Your second paragraph is correct as you would have FIRED a handgun in the competition... Your first line would be correct assuming that you fired a weapon as well. NOT ALL STATES HAVE FIREARM QUALIFICATION as a part of their Hunters Safety! Again, how could you be competent while doing an online course?

To the OP, Call Florida and ask about the qualifications... There is a lot of opinion here on the thread and I did my research, because of all the OPINION and spoke with someone from the states attorney's office, that is familiar with the Handgun Permitting laws...

Nate is correct...you have to read the code:

790.06 License to carry concealed weapon or firearm.—
    (h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
    1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
    2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
    6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
    7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

Only training covered in (2), (3) AND (7) actually require proof of live fire.

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I understand that, but how can you be competent with an online course? Not all Hunters Safety Cards offer hands on training with a firearm!

jam2jab;2044995]Nate is correct...you have to read the code:

Only training covered in (2), (3) AND (7) actually require proof of live fire.[/QUOTE]

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I understand that, but how can you be competent with an online course? Not all Hunters Safety Cards offer hands on training with a firearm!

The FL Code defines, clearly, what "competency with a firearm" is. The FL legislature has defined competency with a firearm to include proof of a hunter's safety course administered by any other state. It's simple really. Don't use words that are clearly defined in the code otherwise.

I agree that people should seek training. I am simply telling you how I interpret the law, which is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer.

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    And hate to throw another wrench in the discussion, but there are NRA courses which do not require live fire. I took the Home Firearm Safety Course and it was a non-shooting course. It was noted on the certificate that it was non-shooting as well to be able to be identified I assume. That being said, one is never done training.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    I support the 2A, AND I believe everyone who conceal carries should be trained. I agree with 3rdRcn in that some people scare me.

If you remove all other people from a shooting situation except the bad guy, you as the untrained person are lowering your odds of survival.

Wouldn't you want the best odds for survival? ...and from prosecution, provided it was a good shoot?

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I support the 2A, AND I believe everyone who conceal carries should be trained. I agree with 3rdRcn in that some people scare me.

If you remove all other people from a shooting situation except the bad guy, you as the untrained person are lowering your odds of survival.

Wouldn't you want the best odds for survival? ...and from prosecution, provided it was a good shoot?

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Awesome Post!!

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

This is NOT about the effectiveness or prudence of training if you carry a firearm. This is about what training the FL legislature has said it will accept to meet their requirements to get a CWL.

90gsx

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 12, 2011
    Parkville
    I'm willing to bet the "Firearms safety training" that Maryland requires before you buy a gun would suffice if you sent them a copy.

My card reads:

"Maryland Police Training Commission Firearms Safety Training Course Certificate of Completion

(Name), (DOB) has completed a certified firearms safety training course as provided in the Maryland Public Safety Article 3-208

Issuing Instructor/Proctor:xx
    issue date:xx

Certificate No. xxxxxxx"

Sounds pretty official if you ask me

Sewer Rat

Ultimate Member
    Does anyone know for sure if Fla. application requires you to have a class cert. that included live fire?

As a former resident of the state... yes

The hunters safety course my oldest took, required a live fire cert.

The youngest will be taking his course here in MD this year. I'm a little upset to hear that your hunter safety courses do not require the live fire.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I'm willing to bet the "Firearms safety training" that Maryland requires before you buy a gun would suffice if you sent them a copy.

It will not make it through as they are well aware of the on line nature of that course. A few years ago it would work but not anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom