• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Interested in building a working flintlock pistol. Probably something like a dragoon or pirate but there are a couple others I am interested in. Any recommendations on online retailers the sell good kits? Good kit makers? Also, do I need to send through an FFL?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Interested in building a working flintlock pistol. Probably something like a dragoon or pirate but there are a couple others I am interested in. Any recommendations on online retailers the sell good kits? Good kit makers? Also, do I need to send through an FFL?
    If you're looking for the highest-end, most accurate kits, The Rifle Shoppe is your best bet. However, these require skill to assemble because the castings require some finishing.
    http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/us_pistols/(us_pistols).htm

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    There are kits and then there are kits.

If you just want to assemble and finish with minimal fitting, Pedersoli kits maybe or the Lyman plains pistol kit now discontinued.

Some places sell a quality, historically accurate kits that will require some knowhow as far as fitting the breechplug, drilling the touchhole and a lot of woodwork, etc. you can usually ask for some of that to be done for an additional cost. Jim Chambers offers a couple pistol kits and he is a big name in the muzzleloading community.

If you wanted a rifle, I would send you to Jim Kibler’s website. I have a kit sitting in the basement waiting for me to get started. It’s remarkable what he has been able to do with his gun making and CNC background to produce a kit that is relatively easy to assemble into working condition. Then it’s up to your skill level and patience on how well you finish the metal and wood. Probably going to be a fall project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom