• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    So I decided I wanted to get another AR lower before the coronation tomorrow and the price jump that is sure to come with it. I drive over to the local gun shop that just opened up (not a new store, just a new location). I asked about AR lowers and they tell me they can order me stags for $125+tax. I tell them to go ahead and order me one. So they take down my information and when I get to address and I say "Maryland" the guy's face screws all up and he tells me he can't sell guns to Marylanders.

Now I realize Maryland has the regulated firearms deal, but I don't see why I can't buy a lower in another state and register it with MSP when I come back to maryland. But that's not even what this guy is talking about! He says that he can't even sell long guns to Marylanders and he said it was a federal law and that he couldn't sell guns to Marylanders or anyone from 6 other states. I told him he was wrong, but he can run his business however he wants.

And before all of that even happened I asked him about transfers and he told me he wouldn't transfer anything that he could sell me, because he wasn't going to let another dealer make money on it.

As a whole, the visit left a sour taste in my mouth and I regret purchasing a Blackhawk SERPA holster from them last Friday. I'm halfway tempted to go and return it.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    He's correct about not being able to sell you the lower. It's considered "regulated" like handguns and most "assault rifles."

He could sell it to you, ship it to a MD ffl where you could take posession of it. Then you get to pay for shipping AND the transfer fee.

I know it makes no sense, but that's the law.
    A hunk of aluminum. that's all it is.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    He is right, he can't sell regulated weapons to Marylanders. An AR lower receiver is treated the same as a whole AR-15, you must fill out the MSP paperwork and wait your 7 days. He IS wrong about selling nonregulated long guns to Marylanders, though.

GO SEE DAN AT THE GUN CONNECTION. He will treat you right!

As a MD'er but having a FFL/SOT business in WV I regrete to say he is correct about the lowers, but didn't have to be an A** about it. Sounds like he's doing better then me if he can throw away good business like that. I can get you stipped lowers all day for $105.00+ tax and shipping to a MD FFL. But you can probablly do better with some of the bigger guy's in MD. I would certainly not do business with him again, it's guy's like that who will jack-up prices due to tomorrow results. And its the internet savy people that will see it for what it is and find other business's to deal with that aren't thieves. So in the end these type of dealers will lose as folks find more honest dealers to spend their money with. IMHO

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    He's correct about not being able to sell you the lower. It's considered "regulated" like handguns and most "assault rifles."

He could sell it to you, ship it to a MD ffl where you could take posession of it. Then you get to pay for shipping AND the transfer fee.

I know it makes no sense, but that's the law.
    A hunk of aluminum. that's all it is.

I fail to see why I can't buy a stripped lower here in WV, assemble it as a HB and bring it home to MD... Or assemble it as whatever and bring it back to MD and register it with MSP.

My reasoning here is that in most states AR-15 lowers are considered long guns, unless they're marked pistol. Correct? So why can't I buy a long gun(in that state) and then make it MD compliant persay and then bring it back? I realize it's a gray area, but I don't understand why it shouldn't work that way.

What really ticked me off about this guy was that he said it was a federal law and that Maryland and 5 or 6 other states were listed that he couldn't sell to.

Really? A federal law that says you can sell to these 43 states, but not these 7?!

I do remember from when I worked the gun counter at Dick's, we could only sell to people from states that shared a border with Maryland, IE WV, PA, DE etc etc But Virginia has a law that says Virginians cannot purchase anything outside Virginia. The handbook I was reading wasn't just for Maryland stores, so it would have mentioned MD having a law like that also (not to mention we've all purchased long guns in other states)

He is right, he can't sell regulated weapons to Marylanders. An AR lower receiver is treated the same as a whole AR-15, you must fill out the MSP paperwork and wait your 7 days. He IS wrong about selling nonregulated long guns to Marylanders, though.

GO SEE DAN AT THE GUN CONNECTION. He will treat you right!

I called Dan as soon as I got back to my dorm. He's got a lower with my name on it waiting for Friday :thumbsup:

Mail with you address on it, let me check........ nope its not included in the FBI's list of valid forms of identification.... unless I missed it somewhere in the fine print. :D No matter what shop your in anywhere in the good ol' United States a NICS check will be done in some form. And without proper ID, (boob's or not):tongue13: you will be given your walking papers till you can produce the right documents. Also I would say that spreading such rumors can only lead to trouble for the folks at Flat Top who I'm sure followed the correct NICS proceedures for WV.

Numi - this is where I purchased both of my XDs. there are ways around it. i think i used some mail with my dorm address on it. oh, and i got boobs.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom