• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    I'm looking to buy a duty flashlight today, specifically the Streamlight Stinger, and I'm just curious if anyone knows of any stores in the Fredetick area that might carry such an item or related item? Thanks for any help!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It's not the question you asked, but...

I just retired my Stinger light from regular duty use after 8 years. Frankly they're nice lights but bulky on your duty belt and the battery life didn't thrill me. I replaced it with a Streamlight Pro-Tac HL.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I have a Streamlight I'd let go of for $120. LED rechargeable battery comes with wall charger and car charger. Also I'm in Taneytown. About 30 minutes down the road.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    DON'T BUY A STINGER!!!

I've broken 5 in 5 years. They have a serious weak point in the frame where it starts to cone out to fit the light housing inside.

Buy a pelican rechargeable and avoid any sure fire that takes those stupid little batteries unless you buy rechargeable ones.

I still have the stream light only because its issued otherwise I would throw it in the trash!

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-7060-...376152331&sr=8-8&keywords=pelican+flashlights

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The only place that comes to mind is Edgeworks at 200 N. Market Street. They have an entire glass case filled with nice flashlights.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Also pro motive currently has pro deals for LEOs on Fenix lights but I can't say there awesome/bad as I've never used them.

I know you said today but I'm trying to save you a few bucks and the stinger headache!!!

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    It's not the question you asked, but...

I just retired my Stinger light from regular duty use after 8 years. Frankly they're nice lights but bulky on your duty belt and the battery life didn't thrill me. I replaced it with a Streamlight Pro-Tac HL.

Excellent! I appreciate that info. Looks like ill be staying away.

I have a Streamlight I'd let go of for $120. LED rechargeable battery comes with wall charger and car charger. Also I'm in Taneytown. About 30 minutes down the road.

Very good, thanks man. I'll keep that in mind.

DON'T BUY A STINGER!!!

I've broken 5 in 5 years. They have a serious weak point in the frame where it starts to cone out to fit the light housing inside.

Buy a pelican rechargeable and avoid any sure fire that takes those stupid little batteries unless you buy rechargeable ones.

I still have the stream light only because its issued otherwise I would throw it in the trash!

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-7060-...376152331&sr=8-8&keywords=pelican+flashlights

Outstanding, I was hoping for some other LEOs insight. (Also thanks to joppa.) I've heard about those pelicans, ill give it a go. Thanks dude!

The only place that comes to mind is Edgeworks at 200 N. Market Street. They have an entire glass case filled with nice flashlights.

Great, ill give them a holler! I appreciate it!

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Wal-Mart sells D-Cell Maglites fairly cheap....the only LE flashlight you need........

I like the Strion series more then stingers due to the size and less real estate on your belt.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Wal-Mart sells D-Cell Maglites fairly cheap....the only LE flashlight you need........

I like the Strion series more then stingers due to the size and less real estate on your belt.

Ever chase with a mag light in a ring on your belt? It's like being kicked by a midget with every step hahaha

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Ever chase with a mag light in a ring on your belt? It's like being kicked by a midget with every step hahaha

Hang a wooden straight baton on your other side, at least the bruises will be even.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Hang a wooden straight baton on your other side, at least the bruises will be even.

Hahaha thankfully those are before my time.

I did go through a mag lite faze and I kept having to shove it in my waistband on traffic stops when I needed my hands free cuz the ring lays flat after you take the light out.

I got it for free but bought the led kit and it was nice but way to bulky and heavy.

Thankfully your generation created the asp so my generation didn't need a broom handle as a weapon.

In other news the guy who promotes the ASP reminds me of what I imagine teratos hair to be. It never moves but looks anchorman style fantastic

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

I've never lugged one around....but I see plenty of folks who do most of who are at retirement age.

I dont think it's for the chase....I think it's for after the chase....to see clearly or something.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Hahaha thankfully those are before my time.

I did go through a mag lite faze and I kept having to shove it in my waistband on traffic stops when I needed my hands free cuz the ring lays flat after you take the light out.

I got it for free but bought the led kit and it was nice but way to bulky and heavy.

Thankfully your generation created the asp so my generation didn't need a broom handle as a weapon.

In other news the guy who promotes the ASP reminds me of what I imagine teratos hair to be. It never moves but looks anchorman style fantastic

When we were allowed to carry Mag lites, it couldn't be any longer than the three cell size. I had the rechargeable one that I love. I've had it for 20 years and it still works great. I would stick it in my back pocket. With my original pants I would put it in my slap jack pocket after they took those from us too. They started issuing stinger's and I hated it.
    I still have my straight baton (Espantoon). When I was in patrol I would never leave home without it.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Thanks for all the input guys. MDC, is the pelican big/strong enough for use as an impact weapon?

It's not going to have the same effect as a mag lite but LEOs in general have gotten away from that line of thinking. The days of the mag lite across the top of the head are long gone. If you haven't done asp training you'll learn specific strike points that cause injury but minimize hospitlazition. Apparently head wounds bleed to much which makes the public cry, or you just end up in MDshooters in another vagina sand cop thread.

The pelican will work in a pinch to create space allowing you to get to a better weapon but I wouldn't "rely" on it as an impact weapon.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    When we were allowed to carry Mag lites, it couldn't be any longer than the three cell size. I had the rechargeable one that I love. I've had it for 20 years and it still works great. I would stick it in my back pocket. With my original pants I would put it in my slap jack pocket after they took those from us too. They started issuing stinger's and I hated it.
    I still have my straight baton (Espantoon). When I was in patrol I would never leave home without it.

IMG_20130810_171342_zps1b27503f.jpg

My dad was issued this, those days are LOOOONNNNGGG over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom