• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I was processing some range brass and found this gem.....that's really way off! Lol!

Attachments

• IMAG0365.jpg
      IMAG0365.jpg
      19.7 KB · Views: 346

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    GFL is Fiocci. Guerrini Fiocci something or other. It is excellent 5.56 spec brass, but things get through every now and then. I have had off centers in almost every manufacturer of brass to iinclude Lake City, PMC, Federal, etc.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Though it off center it doesn't prevent the round from firing, obviously, the primer is full circle and more than enough spark to light the powder from only 1/3 of the primers coverage.

Fishinblues

Dec 22, 2012
    I have broken way to many decapping pins to count on GFL .223 brass. You will find most of the flash holes off center, and not the occasional. I throw it all in the trash bucket now. It is not worth the hassle.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I think what amazed me more was that I didn't break the de-capping pin. I won't use it, off-center will fire but I'm looking for consistent accuracy.

ThunderStick

May 12, 2013
    Garrett County
    I have broken way to many decapping pins to count on GFL .223 brass. You will find most of the flash holes off center, and not the occasional. I throw it all in the trash bucket now. It is not worth the hassle.

I would imagine off center flash hole would create a lot of headaches for a Dillon 550 operator. I like to keep my de-capping pins in good shape.
    Don't have any GFL brass, but I will keep an eye out for it now, fer sure!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I think what amazed me more was that I didn't break the de-capping pin. I won't use it, off-center will fire but I'm looking for consistent accuracy.

Is that consistent accuracy of your powder measuring or the decapping pin hitting the center of the hole ? You confused me. :D

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Is that consistent accuracy of your powder measuring or the decapping pin hitting the center of the hole ? You confused me. :D

Although slight, an off center will fire differently then one in the center which could change bullet velocity, which would affect accuracy. For best accuracy, we try to remove as many variables as possible.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    As a previous poster noted, all manufacturers wil send a couple through with offcenter flash holes. NRA staff did a test years back with, IIRC, 10 Lake City 30-06 (M1) cases from the same lot. Five cases had centered flash holes and five had off center flash holes. Identical loads were assembled with each group of brass and fired from a rested bolt rifle. Several different loads were fired. Their conclusion was it didn't make much difference unless one was seeking ultimate accuracy, say in a bench rest or very long range precision rifle.

YMMV

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Although slight, an off center will fire differently then one in the center which could change bullet velocity, which would affect accuracy. For best accuracy, we try to remove as many variables as possible.

When you reload you try to remove as many variables as possible ?, And you are using range pickup brass.
    I don't even know where to start with that logic.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    When you reload you try to remove as many variables as possible ?, And you are using range pickup brass.

You'd be amazed at how many LC cases I have that have the same year on it. I sort mine by year, and prep them separately. I don't shoot .308 for accuracy, I shoot .223 for accuracy, and separate the brass. I'd like MOA out of my ammo for longer 3-gun stages. Every little bit helps.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    You'd be amazed at how many LC cases I have that have the same year on it. I sort mine by year, and prep them separately. I don't shoot .308 for accuracy, I shoot .223 for accuracy, and separate the brass. I'd like MOA out of my ammo for longer 3-gun stages. Every little bit helps.

So you separate the brass into what Jim ? Unknown lots ? Because that's what you all have. I am sure you would like MOA groups, but your not going to get reliable groups using unknown brass. You should buy your Best New brass in as large lots as you can afford, Size it and trim so all brass is the same length chamfer neck inside and out.. Then you check primer hole for proper size and chamfer the inside of the primer hole and then weigh it. Place brass in lots within say 1 or 2 grains of each other and that will give you a much higher quality brass.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For Mil brass, the headstamp only tells you it was made in a given YEAR. And how many lots were made in a year?

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes

Well, I did't say I removed every variable but I do seperate by type, lot, etc. Yes, new brass would be the best way to go but I also have a budget to stay within. Small variables, when combined, become large variables. Ultimate accuracy would be great but I'm 5k short of the proper rifle. So, I stick to small variables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom