• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I want to try fresh water fishing with plastic worms and plastic frogs for the first time. Do you follow the rules for the kind of fish you want to catch, or for what your throwing in the water?

With frogs it sounds like people consistently follow the rules of frogs, so long and heavy rod. What about worms, does it change for trout vs bass? I guess it gets complicated since trout are pickier with their worms, so does that lend itself to a different rod setup?

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Never caught a trout before.

I have caught plenty of Crappie, Perch, Bluegills, Sunnies, and Catfish on real worms, minnows and spoons.
    When I was able to use rubber worms, spinner baits, etc, I had most luck in farm ponds. The rubber worms kicked butt on Bass in the weeds.

For Trout, I have only seen people who were successful with Fly fishing.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Plastic worms, in the traditional sense, are generally meant for catching bass, both large mouth and small mouth bass.

Plastic frogs are more productive when targeting large mouth bass.

That's not to say these techniques won't work on other species like pike, muskies, snake heads, and other lake and river predators. I once caught a smallish rainbow trout(stockie) on a fly on a local pond. I decided to take it home and eat it since it was stocked for that purpose. When I cut it open, I found a 6" plastic worm and hook in its gut. Now that was strange, to say the least.

You are, more or less, "matching the hatch".

As far as rods go, it will depend a lot on the weight of the particular 'bait' you are throwing, what depth you are fishing, how heavy the cover you are fishing, as well as whether you are trying to penetrate that cover or fish over it. The combinations are virtually endless. You can fish worms on spinning gear with line as small as 6 lb test on up the a heavy pitching bait-casting rod(think pool cue) with 50 lb braided line. It all depends on the type of water/time of year you are fishing.

There are books on the subject. I'm only trying to give you a better idea of the diversity involved. I carried probably 20 rods on my bass boat. There are guys who might carry twice that number. Every rod in your arsenal has a specific purpose for the numerous types of artificial baits out there.

Again, you are trying to "match the hatch", so to speak.

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'd suggest you use plastic grubs. They look more "live" in the water and can be fished at a number of water depths depending on the speed of the retrieve.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    My brother could sit on the edge of a pond or small boat and cast an 8" rubber worm all day long. He had some nice 10lb bass trophy's to show for it.
    I loose patients if I don't catch anything after the first 30 minutes.

martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    As far as rods go, it will depend a lot on the weight of the particular 'bait' you are throwing, what depth you are fishing, how heavy the cover you are fishing, as well as whether you are trying to penetrate that cover or fish over it.
    The weight part makes sense, but what about action and power?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The weight part makes sense, but what about action and power?
    For frogs and most worms(depending on where you are fishing), I prefer a medium action rod. Something with a light-ish tip but with a strong butt section. That will afford you good distance and strong hook setting. 6'6"-7' lengths

If you are getting serious about this, stay with one piece rods, unless you do a lot of flying with them.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Plastic worms, in the traditional sense, are generally meant for catching bass, both large mouth and small mouth bass.

Plastic frogs are more productive when targeting large mouth bass.

That's not to say these techniques won't work on other species like pike, muskies, snake heads, and other lake and river predators. I once caught a smallish rainbow trout(stockie) on a fly on a local pond. I decided to take it home and eat it since it was stocked for that purpose. When I cut it open, I found a 6" plastic worm and hook in its gut. Now that was strange, to say the least.

You are, more or less, "matching the hatch".

As far as rods go, it will depend a lot on the weight of the particular 'bait' you are throwing, what depth you are fishing, how heavy the cover you are fishing, as well as whether you are trying to penetrate that cover or fish over it. The combinations are virtually endless. You can fish worms on spinning gear with line as small as 6 lb test on up the a heavy pitching bait-casting rod(think pool cue) with 50 lb braided line. It all depends on the type of water/time of year you are fishing.

There are books on the subject. I'm only trying to give you a better idea of the diversity involved. I carried probably 20 rods on my bass boat. There are guys who might carry twice that number. Every rod in your arsenal has a specific purpose for the numerous types of artificial baits out there.

Again, you are trying to "match the hatch", so to speak.
    Match the hatch always applies for fish and hot big mammeried redheads!

Night crawlers stuck on the hook with a worm threader is my go to for river trout; unless fly fishing. A Brownie sammitch is another option. Or casting Mepps lures.

Years ago I got a Shakespeare convertible rod; spin or fly. Pack a fly reel and flys; also pack a spinning reel and worms, etc. It all fit into a pack w/4 Foster's. Go hiking and fishing, with the ability too match the hatch, or learn.

PS the above worked well in western river's for me; but the concept still applies.

Good luck OP!

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I loose patients if I don't catch anything after the first 30 minutes.
    Maybe if they get tighter their families won't sue.

OP: Medium action 7' rod is good for plastics. You want the whip to get the bait our there, and the sensitivity to feel/see the bite. I've had a lot of luck with plastic worms, and a little luck on frogs.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Stick to a few of the basics:
    Worms: use 4 inch stick baits such as Senkos. 6 inch ribbon tail worms, 3-4 inch curly tail grubs. Use 2/0 or 3/0 hooks
    Frogs: stay with soft body ones like Spro or marshmallow ones.
    Worms/grubs/stick baits: rig them "texas" style and fish slow to start. Bump them off any available cover.
    Frogs: start/ stop motion. Slowly increase the speed if no action. Use a "walk the dog" retrieve and pause it for several seconds.
    When a fish blows up on a top water bait, count to 3 before you set the hook.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    OP, for rods that will be multi-purpose for you I'd suggest 6-6'' to 7' Medium Heavy with a fast tip.
    Load one up with 40-65 lb. braid for the Frog rod and the other up with 12 - 16 lb. mono or Flouro for the worm. I'd suggest Mono for a beginner. With those two set ups you can throw many more different baits. I've been fishing for 52 years and been Bass clubbing it for the last 30 years. Learn to throw a bait caster if you haven't already.
    I like the Ribbit frog in black and take your pick on a worm, they all work.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Get the scented plastic worms or grubs, such as Berkeley Power Baits. LMB cant resist them.
    Any particular color of them work best? I've mostly been fishing waters without LMB in them, tried them some there, no success on anything. Down at the pond in Calvert Cliffs park, I hooked 3 LMB and a couple that got away on them in less than 2 hours. Just wondering if the few places I've been fishing that should have LMB, they just weren't there, or if that was somehow a one time success.

Fishing is one of those things I'd love to get into more, but feel pretty lost. My 13 year old son loves to fish, though he hasn't been asking me to take him much the last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom