Fishing the pre-spawn and during the spawn? Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I am going to give you my opinion on this then you can tell me your thoughts. Do you agree or disagree? Any why.

I don't believe we fishermen should be catching and keeping fish pre-spawn and during the spawn. Catch and release is probably ok. The timeframe for this happening is usually only a few weeks and I believe all fishermen can go a few weeks without eating their catch. These fish need this time to do their thing. It is vital to their population. We have all seen what over harvesting has done to the rockfish and crabs. The other thing is these fish migrate to the headwaters/shallows for the spawn and it makes it to damn easy for fishermen. I don't really even find it to be sport like. I would like to see the DNR put in place some regulations that would better protect fish during this time.

I am sure there will be some here that don't agree with me on this and that is ok. We all have our own opinions. I would like to hear why you agree or disagree though.

And FYI. In case you haven't heard yet there is a new regulation the the DNR is enforcing this year in regards to perch. Not sure if it is just for yellows or whites also. It is my understanding that to fish with live bait you now need to use circle hooks. This one puzzles me. If you know why the DNR requires this please let us know why.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I try to let the bass and stripers spawn in peace, but do chase pre-spawn Crappies.

The deal with the circle hooks is that fish tend to take live and natural baits deep, leading to being hooked deeply enough to injure them internally. Properly used circle hooks avoid this by sliding up and catching on the lip.

AFAIK, the circle hook limitation only applies to striper fishing. This means that if you're using bait unlikely to attract stripers and/or you're in an area where you're unlikely to hook a striper, you're not required to have the circle hooks. Someone smart can correct me if I'm wrong.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I try to let the bass and stripers spawn in peace, but do chase pre-spawn Crappies.

The deal with the circle hooks is that fish tend to take live and natural baits deep, leading to being hooked deeply enough to injure them internally. Properly used circle hooks avoid this by sliding up and catching on the lip.

AFAIK, the circle hook limitation only applies to striper fishing. This means that if you're using bait unlikely to attract stripers and/or you're in an area where you're unlikely to hook a striper, you're not required to have the circle hooks. Someone smart can correct me if I'm wrong.
    The DNR has checked several people according to Angler's Sportsman's center in Annapolis and told the fishermen they were required to use circle hooks while fishing for the perch. Some got written warnings.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Forgive my ignorance but do all fresh water fish that would for example be native to Prettyboy, Loch Raven, Liberty Reservoirs spawn about the same times?

I have never fished the bay, or Potomac, but I do remember a good friend's brother used to brag about the awesome small mouth bass fishing he used to do on the Potomac in the 80's.

Its funny, I hadn't messaged him in a few years on Facebook, so I was curious. What do I find as some of his first pics?

1709909341688.png

1709909497700.png

Last edited:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Lenny talked about the circle hook thing last night. DNR cops saw a bunch of dead perch so they took it upon themselves to redefine fishing minnows as live lining.
    Addressed about 9 minutes in.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Always hated the 1st day of some state's trout season when their DNR is literally dumping fish upstream while downstream, both banks are lined with "fishermen" just waiting to catch a hungry stocker.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Lenny talked about the circle hook thing last night. DNR cops saw a bunch of dead perch so they took it upon themselves to redefine fishing minnows as live lining.
    Addressed about 9 minutes in.

Lenny is a good guy and good resource. I think he is got this right.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Forgive my ignorance but do all fresh water fish that would for example be native to Prettyboy, Loch Raven, Liberty Reservoirs spawn about the same times?

I have never fished the bay, or Potomac, but I do remember a good friend's brother used to brag about the awesome small mouth bass fishing he used to do on the Potomac in the 80's.

Its funny, I hadn't messaged him in a few years on Facebook, so I was curious. What do I find as some of his first pics?

View attachment 459064
    View attachment 459065
    For most fish their spawn is all about the water temperature. Different fish require different temperatures. For example, the LM bass like 65deg.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I am going to give you my opinion on this then you can tell me your thoughts. Do you agree or disagree? Any why.

I don't believe we fishermen should be catching and keeping fish pre-spawn and during the spawn. Catch and release is probably ok.

I disagree. I don't think sportsmen should catch and release during pre-spawn. I don't know what the mortality rate is but I know that a lot of times I catch a fish there can be an issue getting it unhooked without it looking like it needs plastic surgery. Maybe the fish is more robust than I think but a lot of times I look at it and say "sorry pal" knowing he just suffered a bad combo of being exhausted, starved of oxygen and left with a jacked up mouth or throat.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I disagree. I don't think sportsmen should catch and release during pre-spawn. I don't know what the mortality rate is but I know that a lot of times I catch a fish there can be an issue getting it unhooked without it looking like it needs plastic surgery. Maybe the fish is more robust than I think but a lot of times I look at it and say "sorry pal" knowing he just suffered a bad combo of being exhausted, starved of oxygen and left with a jacked up mouth or throat.
    Lol, I too literally say "sorry buddy" if I have a somewhat rough release. I do think these critters are a lot more robust than we think, but during spawn, I agree that it best leave them be. Going/requiring barbless I think goes a long way, but although it may be debated just how much C&R stresses a fish, I don't think anyone believes it to be stress free. I mean, these fish are quite literally fighting for their life. I know that would stress me...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That would depend entirely on the species.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Another thing to consider is with some species like the LM Bass the post spawn can be a problem when you catch the males that stay with the nest to protect the babies from other pray. Taking them off the beds puts the nest at a big risk.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Another thing to consider is with some species like the LM Bass the post spawn can be a problem when you catch the males that stay with the nest to protect the babies from other pray. Taking them off the beds puts the nest at a big risk.
    I've watched the bass populations on two major rivers go almost to the point of no return(that return has yet to happen) on both the Potomac(tidal) and the Susquehanna(in Pa.). In both cases, largely due to tournament fishing, especially during the spawn. You can't pound those fish, year after year, and expect there not to be consequences. In both cases, by the time the local controlling agencies realize and react to the problem, it's almost too late. Pre-spawn isn't that big of a shock, but the closer you get to the spawn, the more delicate the fishery becomes. When you start losing age classes, you know the fishery is in grave danger. I've witnessed that on both fisheries.

Summer tournaments aren't much better. There's nothing like launching you boat at Leesylvania State Park and seeing 20-30 newly released black bass doing the back float around the ramps. Once water temps get into the 80s and oxygen levels become degraded, the fishery, once again, becomes extremely fragile.

I am all for catch and release, as long as that release occurs at the point of the catch, and not 5-10 miles away at some boat ramp.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I myself believe we should allow the fish to spawn without fishing for them. Then fish after all spawning done. Yes you have to use all circle hooks for using live bait. Even minnows for perch you need to use circle hooks by regulations. The circle hook regs are for not hooking fish deep in the throat or gut. Too many die after catch and releasing after deep hooked.

On average 10% of all C&R fish of just about any species perish within 3 weeks of capture. Lactic acid builds up under their skin during the fight and these fish die as a result.

And as for the DNR doing something about the declining numbers of striped bass..They are being forced to change their regulations by the Atlantic Marine Fisheries Commission but they fought tooth and nail against the changes. If you're interested in the regulations and how certain groups are trying to protect these fish all up and down the coast where they migrate take a look at this page.

https://www.stripersforever.org/

The Maryland DNR has a long history of putting dollars well ahead of the resource just about every time a species finds itself in trouble. The Commercial Waterman's Association has a very strong lobby in Annapolis and they don't take kindly to anyone who tries to stand in their way of making $$. Ask Brenda Davis..

She had the unmitigated gall to suggest a 1/4 inch increase in the harvest size of crabs to try to increase the crab population whos numbers have been in free fall for 2 decades. Larry Hogan fired her because of it.

The MDDNR simply doesn't give a rat's azz about the natural resources in Maryland's waters...all they care about is generating revenue..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom