• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    What line would be best for occasional trips to lakes, ponds, and streams. I hate losing gear to weeds and stuff. I will fish for stocked trout also. What's a good all around line?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    There's no right or wrong answer. For trout with spinning gear, 2-4 lb with a 4-6x fluorocarbon leader tied on with a Duncan loop knot or surgeon's knot.
    For spinning gear for pan fish and bass, I use 'clear' Spiderwire in the 10-14 lb range also with 8-10 lb leader of fluorocarbon tied on

A lot really depends on what kind of bait/lure you're using.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Rooster tails for tout
    Back in the day, we just used 2-4 lb mono for that. You're usually fishing small streams where you can wade in an unsnag your lure. We always fished trout(and still do to this day) with barbless hooks(just bend the barb down with pliers). You get a better hook up ratio.

5string

Feb 21, 2014
    NC
    The best line is the one which its user is aware of potential damage such as caused in a backlash or being snagged or rubbing against something while in the water, so the bad part can be pulled off. I really don't see a lot of difference in any of the monofilaments. If I am fishing for bass I usually use 10 lb but for trout, I'd use 4 lb.

Slumy__57

May 18, 2018
    Hampstead MD
    I agree with everyone else, all depends on what you're going for. For trout, I like 4lb clear monofilament. For bass, I run 30/40lb braid to a 20lb clear fluorocarbon leader on my baitcasters, and 9-12lb clear monofilament on my spinners.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    For good all around fishing line, 8# Trilene fills the bill for me. Light enough for trout and panfish and heavy enough to handle most bass and catfish.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    For stocked trout get 10# monofilament, a #6 hook and a can of corn.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Permission granted. There’s bad info in this thread. Show them proof lol.
    Lol!

20190817_180251.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    A bad day fishing beats a good day at work. Damn, I haven't been on the water in way too long. May have something to do with a blown engine.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    OK I bought 8lb Berkley Trilene XL Smooth Casting. Loaded it on the way they show on you tube. Will try it in the morning.
    If you are using a spinning reel,it's real easy to overfill your spool. When you cast, the line kind of jumps off the reel resulting in a tangled mess. Before I run the line through the eyes, I hold the rod upside down ,with the reel facing the floor, open the bail and pull some line towards the floor and allow the line to freely come off the reel.I keep doing this til the line stops coming off when I pull on it. Makes your first day with new line a lot easier

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you are using a spinning reel,it's real easy to overfill your spool. When you cast, the line kind of jumps off the reel resulting in a tangled mess. Before I run the line through the eyes, I hold the rod upside down ,with the reel facing the floor, open the bail and pull some line towards the floor and allow the line to freely come off the reel.I keep doing this til the line stops coming off when I pull on it. Makes your first day with new line a lot easier
    That doesn't happen with the smaller diameter Spiderwire. Also, problems like that are often a case of to heavy or stiff mono on too narrow a diameter spool. A couple of tricks with spinning gear(and you probably already know these), always close the bail manually(with your hand or finger and not by cranking) and slick the index finger of your rod holding hand out for the first couple of cranks so the line hits the finger. That prevents loose loops from forming on the spool.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    That doesn't happen with the smaller diameter Spiderwire. Also, problems like that are often a case of to heavy or stiff mono on too narrow a diameter spool. A couple of tricks with spinning gear(and you probably already know these), always close the bail manually(with your hand or finger and not by cranking) and slick the index finger of your rod holding hand out for the first couple of cranks so the line hits the finger. That prevents loose loops from forming on the spool.
    Those are good tips for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom