• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    We just moved to the Glen Burnie area and I'm interested in doing some fishing. I've got a light spinning set up and a medium spinning setup with a shimano bait runner that I've had for some time.

I need to outfit myself with lures, hooks, etc, but know nothing of the fishing around here (moved to md from ny a year ago and moved to gb 3 months ago).

Can anyone recommend decent freshwater or saltwater spots around here and what tackle I will need as well as preferred bait etc. do i need a license? Back in NY it was mostly striper/bluefish and my primary method was bunker chunks deep or top water stuff when they were crashing through a school of bunker

Any help would be AWESOME. Oh, and I don't have a boat, so this would all be from land. Thanks guys!

Mr H

Unindicted Co-Conspirator
    Ft. Smallwood gets good talk for Perch (white and yellow) during the run, as well as the occasional Rock, but I think you have time it just right. The pier at Downs is mostly useless 80-90% of the time.

As for fresh? Unless you're just looking to get in some worm-drowning c-and-r with a kid, avoid Lake Waterford. Other than that, I got nuttin' at this point.

I'm looking for interesting spots too, but just can't seem to find the time to go.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    The methods you mentioned are fine here in MD. Sandy Point State Park is another bay access point. You have the rock jetty by the bridge and the beach area. There is also a section of rock shoreline wall at the youth camping area thats good. You would need to walk a couple of hundred yards to get to the bay and that keeps it mostly free of people fishing :-), just ck with the rangers that its still ok for you to fish there and where you can park that will be ok.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Making a trip to basspro this weekend so I'll take whatever info I can get!

Thanks for the advice so far guys, keep it coming!

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Patient ponds in Odenton although I haven't been there in years. There are also some ponds on Ft Meade but not sure if you are still allowed to go to them.

JWGuns

Aug 29, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    There is a decent pond off Harmans road near Arundel Mills. Turn onto Gesna drive from Harmans and follow it around, some decent bass in there.

Some good ponds in Severna Park area, I don't think your technically allowed to fish in them unless your a resident, most of them are around Benfield, use Google maps satellite to navigate.

Another pond is off Veterans highway in the Shipleys Choice neighborhood, another one the hood doesn't like outsiders fishing at, but have always caught nice bass in there.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Thanks guys. It looks like there is more fresh water action around here than saltwater. Would you say that's accurate?

I'd love to do some pier fishing where the bigger boys lurk...

Mr H

Unindicted Co-Conspirator
    Thanks guys. It looks like there is more fresh water action around here than saltwater. Would you say that's accurate?

As I hear it, the freshwater "action" around here is mainly in the reservoirs around the Baltimore/Carroll County stretch, unless you want to count the upper end of the rivers.

Rumnhammer

Mar 2, 2013
    fishing

You will need a license to fish in MD if you are over 16. Get the tidal when you get the regular license so you don't have to worry or limit yourself to just freshwater. And the DNR does check for it too, I just got spot checked for having a license a couple of weeks ago at Liberty resevour.

Around GB you will have more access to tidal areas. Go to the Maryland DNR webpage and you can get quite a bit more info on areas to fish in.

Chris Rummel

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island

No way. You have here the largest estuary in the U.S. The Chesapeake Bay. There are plenty of very large rockfish, trout, perch, croaker, some drum, bluefish and others. With light tackle and no boat, there are a couple of piers over here on Kent Island at Romancoke and Matapeake and some other places as well. We are only about 45 minutes if you drive slow from GB. If you have access to a boat the possibilities are endless. You just have to promise that you won't like it so much that you want to move here.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    No way. You have here the largest estuary in the U.S. The Chesapeake Bay. There are plenty of very large rockfish, trout, perch, croaker, some drum, bluefish and others. With light tackle and no boat, there are a couple of piers over here on Kent Island at Romancoke and Matapeake and some other places as well. We are only about 45 minutes if you drive slow from GB. If you have access to a boat the possibilities are endless. You just have to promise that you won't like it so much that you want to move here.

This sounds very interesting. Do I need a license to fish the piers there?

What kind of bait do you guys use? Eels, bunker, etc?

Thanks for the tips!

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Cant help with AA, and I know it's a bit of a drive, but try the Susquehanna. Specifically, between the dam and the Rt.40/I-95 bridges. Great variety of fish with multiple access points.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    This sounds very interesting. Do I need a license to fish the piers there?

What kind of bait do you guys use? Eels, bunker, etc?

Thanks for the tips!

Yes, you will need a license to fish in the bay. I think the county charges $5 or $10 to park in the lots in order to go fishing and they will check for your ticket in the window.
    What you use would depend on what you are fishing for. Some use worms to catch spot and then spot to catch Rock or blues. Eels are good for rock, so are alewives (bunker/Menhaden) whatever you want to call them.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    My favorite freshwater spot for small-mouth and other is on the Patapsco above the falls, where it is not tidal. You can wade parts of it, in the summer, with just pants and old shoes.

Also up around Harper's Ferry on the Potomac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom