• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    He lives in WV. :)

As was mentioned earlier, most dealers would do everything for you except sign the form, but if your guy is new or this is how he wants to do it, that's cool.

Actually, you can't. They turned off the ability to eFile a Form 4 last spring, and I don't believe it's back up yet.

If you do ever use the atfonline site, it's a different process than just filling in the form. They ask you a bunch of questions and then it populates the form for you afterword based on your answers.

This is a pretty good site explaining how the site works (for a Form 1): http://www.realgunreviews.com/how-to-e-file-an-atf-form-1-with-eforms/

You know, I ran across a notice on the internet that was in a green block which stated they were no longer accepting e-file, but thought it might be outdated or have changed. I'm glad you confirmed this for me.
    After reflection, I decided I would go through the gun dealers's hoops, since he wasn't asking me to do that much on my own. Having said that, do I send with my Trust copy a copy of Schedule A? It only shows where I deposited a dollar into the Trust account (it's written on Sche. A). I don't think that I write in my new purchase until I get the ATF Stamp.

Thanks for keeping me aimed the right direction (all that have replied).

Last edited:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    After reflection, I decided I would go through the gun dealers's hoops, since he wasn't asking me to do that much on my own.

Yeah, it's not like he's being totally unreasonable or anything, and if he's your local guy that's a benefit too.

Having said that, do I send with my Trust copy a copy of Schedule A? It only shows where I deposited a dollar into the Trust account (it's written on Sche. A).

I sent mine in, and I believe many people do.

I don't think that I write in my new purchase until I get the ATF Stamp.

That's correct, because until you go back, fill out the 4473, and take possession of it, it doesn't belong to the trust.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I was planning on efiling once I decided to make a purchase. Talked to local gunshop and they said I needed to file the tax stamp stuff. He said he'd help if I wanted it, but otherwise I do the filing. I don't claim to know, I'm just asking questions along the way. Also, I thought that with July 13 approaching under the new guidelines, I'd eFile because its quicker. If going wrong direction, set me straight.

You cannot eFile a Form 4 for purchase. Only Form 1s to make something (SBR, SBS, suppressor).

The system does not support eFiling Form 4s at this time.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OnTarget: There's two ways to file your Forms—either send paper copies via US mail to ATF or upload digital copies via atfonline.gov. In the case of the former, most (good) shops'll handle the paperwork submission for you (just give them a paper copy of your trust and complete your portion of the paperwork at the shop). If you choose to e-file, you'll submit everything yourself.

There is NO eFile of Form 4 right now.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Many posts in the this thread about buying from a dealer. That is a Form 4 transfer.

frednek9

Mar 11, 2013
    Sykesville
    I am stuck at the add a firearm section. I have a lower made from a company that no longer exists. It does not appear in the drop down bar. What should i put for manufacture?

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    Did that, it won't let me verify.

You might have to make a phone call then. I'm sure there's a way. Try the phone # I gave you. You can also go to the top of the home page to "ask an expert". They've always responded to my questions within a couple days. Use the phone during business hours. The Email, you can submit any time, but it takes a couple business days for your answer.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Click the 'ask an expert' and you will get an email reply within a day or two. Had a question last weekend, asked on Sat and had a reply at 10:30pm on Sunday.

I remember seeing something about this, but honestly, I don't remember what it said (as it didn't apply to me) and I can't find it at the moment.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Couldn't remember if it was ask a pro or ask an expert. Thanks Sticky!
    Didn't read your whole reply... :blush:

They are very responsive.. I emailed back and forth several times with them with an issue, as I didn't want to screw it up.. they were very helpful and pretty quick in their replies to my questions.

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    Didn't read your whole reply... :blush:

They are very responsive.. I emailed back and forth several times with them with an issue, as I didn't want to screw it up.. they were very helpful and pretty quick in their replies to my questions.

Yes, I've done the same. It's a hell of a lot better than waiting four months just to find out you screwed up. BTDT!:D

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Anyone else having problems logging into the ATF eform site?

So I managed to upload my trust and finish one Form 1. Had to leave for a bit and forgot to log out and now when I go back in to do my 2nd it says there are errors and exceptions and I cant log in, to check the logs. WTF? Hopefully it will work tomorrow, time is running out

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom