• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    How many rounds do you want to shoot and how much time do you want to spend at the range? You have to answer that before going in with too little ammo or too much for the time you want to spend.

Depending on what I want to shoot, I'll take anywhere from 100-500 rounds and spend anywhere from an hour to 3 hours at the range. But bear in mind that is me and my personal preferences. Most of the time I'll come back with some ammo that was not expended, and a bunch of brass for reloading.
    Reloading looks interesting but I don't think I'm going to go that deep into it.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    How long does that take you? And is that just straight-up shooting and reloading or are you also taking breaks?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have a range membership so I’m not in a rush to leave, usually 2 hours every week or so.

I guess if I took the majority of my mags I wouldn’t have to reload but I’ll usually take 3-4 mags of varying capacity, for example my HD Glock 22c I’ll take a 15 round, 15+2 and a 23 round mag.

I’ll also usually just take 2 different guns/calibers. It would get to be overwhelming to take more calibers. In the past I have taken all my Glock 40’s (27c/23c/22c/35c/24c) for example but it’s all the same caliber and mags, just a pain to have to clean them all after.

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    I have a range membership so I’m not in a rush to leave, usually 2 hours every week or so.

I guess if I took the majority of my mags I wouldn’t have to reload but I’ll usually take 3-4 mags of varying capacity, for example my HD Glock 22c I’ll take a 15 round, 15+2 and a 23 round mag.

I’ll also usually just take 2 different guns/calibers. It would get to be overwhelming to take more calibers. In the past I have taken all my Glock 40’s (27c/23c/22c/35c/24c) for example but it’s all the same caliber and mags, just a pain to have to clean them all after.
    Where do you get your mags and ammo from. Thanks to you and everyone else responding you folks are being super nice

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    The one Club I looked into was called the associated gun clubs of Baltimore

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Where do you get your mags and ammo from. Thanks to you and everyone else responding you folks are being super nice

Mags I’ve bought over the years, have plenty of contacts out of state so have standard capacity mags/drums/etc for everything I own. Ammo I hook myself up :) (truthfully I buy enough from my distributor that he gives me plenty extra for my personal stash).

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

AGC is located in Marriotsville, just west of Baltimore.

It has a nice facility, but you also have to decide on the club you want to join and also get a range badge to use the range facilities.

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    AGC is located in Marriotsville, just west of Baltimore.

It has a nice facility, but you also have to decide on the club you want to join and also get a range badge to use the range facilities.
    That's where I did my qualifications, also did some nice horseback riding up there

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    The electronic ear protection being discussed is for outdoor use.

They work indoors for me and many others. Unless someone next to me is shooting a magnum or an AR with a muzzle brake I find them more than adequate. You can always just put in the styrofoam ear plugs underneath, which I generally do at a crowded range. To each their own.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The thing about electronics , is when you're shooting at indoor range with lots of other people ( shooting as individuals ) . Anyone shooting will engage the circuitry of your muffs . So instead of mostly having hearing , they will be mostly in protection mode , with occasional brief snatches of hearing . At that point, is more of a distraction than an advantage .

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Typical practice for me is between 50 and 500 rounds, depending on what I'm working on. Go with a goal in mind, not just punch paper til you're tired. As a new shooter, you,may get fatigued earlier, so keep that in mind. Stop before bad habits kick in. I buy ammo by the case from a few different online sources. For you, for now, you might want to buy the cheapest brass cased 115 or 124 grain 9mm you can find.

Electronic earmuffs are fine indoors, but double up with foamies under them.

Pick a range that in convenient and has the type of shooting you like. Public, rental-type ranges tend to have more issues than private clubs.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    These are interesting pieces of equipment I did not know existed. But do they work 100% of the time? The indoor ranges are Superbad at least the one I've been to Maryland Small Arms. What's the likelihood of a gun going off and the electronics not catching it? My wife is definitely super sensitive with ear plugs and muffs she was having a tough time in there. Is it bad etiquette to listen to music while shooting?

I have been using electronic muff for over 20 years. NEVER had one miss a shot. It is not like there is a little person in there who could be off taking a leak. :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Nice didn't think of those. I understand this would not be considered legal advice but I was under the impression that it had to be a bag made for the purpose pacifically transporting guns. They're made of some secure material and they lock up the firearm they have to meet a specification. I mean to me if someone were to break into my car they will just take the whole bag. The more and more I look into this stuff scares me, makes me responsible for the actions of criminals

There is NO requirement for the container being locked, for transport within MD.

All MD law requires is an enclosed case or holster.

Personally, I would think best would be a diaper bag. Who is going to steal that? :lol2::lol2:

Actually, a number of people in the photography field actually do use diaper bags to transport high end cameras and lenses. And few have ever reported theft of such bags.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The thing about electronics , is when you're shooting at indoor range with lots of other people ( shooting as individuals ) . Anyone shooting will engage the circuitry of your muffs . So instead of mostly having hearing , they will be mostly in protection mode , with occasional brief snatches of hearing . At that point, is more of a distraction than an advantage .

Yeah, they don't make a lot of sense in an busy indoor range.

I just turn them off, or take the non-electronic ones.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

AGC is not a club. It is an ASSOCIATION of clubs.

The Association runs the range. You have to join one of the associated clubs, and then pay your annual range dues on top of that.

There are clubs that run there own range.

It would help to mention where you live. I am in Harford Co, and the closest club range is actually in PA.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How many rounds how much time is normal for one session.

How high is high? How deep is deep?

As much as you want.

I have shot 10 rounds. I have shot 500 rounds. It depends.

And another point, if you have more ammo than you shoot, the left overs don't go bad. You can use them the next time. :lol2::lol2:

I find it best to take more than I expect to shoot, as I would rather stop because I want to stop, than to stop because I ran out of ammo.

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    AGC is not a club. It is an ASSOCIATION of clubs.

The Association runs the range. You have to join one of the associated clubs, and then pay your annual range dues on top of that.

There are clubs that run there own range.

It would help to mention where you live. I am in Harford Co, and the closest club range is actually in PA.
    Yeah I'm aware I just can't remember the name of the actual Club, no I didn't think there was a little person taking a leak but Electronics are not always reliable

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    How high is high? How deep is deep?

As much as you want.

I have shot 10 rounds. I have shot 500 rounds. It depends.

And another point, if you have more ammo than you shoot, the left overs don't go bad. You can use them the next time. 2:2:

I find it best to take more than I expect to shoot, as I would rather stop because I want to stop, than to stop because I ran out of ammo.
    I'm just trying to get a reference point. Then I can make an educated guess

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    There is NO requirement for the container being locked, for transport within MD.

All MD law requires is an enclosed case or holster.

Personally, I would think best would be a diaper bag. Who is going to steal that? 2:2:

Actually, a number of people in the photography field actually do use diaper bags to transport high end cameras and lenses. And few have ever reported theft of such bags.
    I definitely would not have thought of that one, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom