• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    3ezuhysa.jpg

This is the target from the first batch of reloads. I don't have a chrono yet, so I'm not sure of the velocity. These are 150gn fmjbt, loaded with cfe223, and cci primers. I shot all 20 rounds, one after another, at 100 yds. 6 shots per powder level. I'm just shooting this off a bipod, sitting at the bench. I'm still learning to shoot this thing, so I'm getting better aiming it, I'm still getting used to shooting a scoped rifle, I've always used irons.

1-6 50gr
    6-12 51gr
    13-18 52gr
    19-20 53gr

Which load seems like its the best to continue with? I'm not great at figuring these things out yet, but I'm slowly learning, that's why I'm asking you guys for help. Seems to me I should start with the 52 grain group, and tweak it from there. But what do I do next? I know I can play with the bullet seating depth, but how far up and down should I go with it? Do you think a tenth of a grain or a half grain up or down would make that big of a difference in a large case like that?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Well you have a lot of kill shots, but, I wouldn't take it in the field at this point. Another thing you need to do is use a different target for each load. I'd also suggest that you use a rock solid rest when testing new loads, otherwise, you're just throwing lead and not knowing what is actually do what. In my experience, load development, should only be done in a vise.

dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    I agree with having a vice, its on my short list along with a chrono. So do I just need to give it up until I have a vice? There's gotta be something I can work with here...

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    If you want to not waste time do an Audette ladder test at 200 yards. Load one round at .1gr increments, mark the rounds with Sharpie. Set up a clean strip of paper on the target frame with an aiming bull in the center. Shoot from the lowest charge to the highest off a sandbag and mark on a piece of paper about where they hit the target. What you're going to see is vertical stringing with at least two nodes (where there is little stringing and more like a group). Those nodes indicate sweet spots in your barrel's vibration pattern and that's where you want to work up loads. The paper you wrote where the shots landed should tell you what shots on the actual target are and thus the charge weights and you can then load 10 of each charge weight in the chosen node weight range and find the one that groups best.

Last edited:

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Looks like 52 gr is the tightest group.

Glad to see you are reloading. Just make sure when you start loading for the M1 that you use M1 appropriate powder and loads. There is a variety that works but its best to stick to the main powders that are within a good burn rate.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    Reloading is sure fun developing a load for any given rifle while it can be fustrating journey. Since you didn't use a Chrono assume your going for accuracy. The target made me dizzy; I shoot 2 sets of 5 for any given load for 5 shot average for each grain on seperate bullseye. The bi-pod is OK for fun but prefer sand bag rest to stable the rifle stock as much as possible to avoid any unneccessary flyers seeking which loads prints the best group. When the barrel heats up allow it to cool between each 5 shot group too.

Never tried Hodgon ccf .223 yet as IMR 4064 seems to work in all 4 of our 06's.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Looks like 52 gr is the tightest group.

Glad to see you are reloading. Just make sure when you start loading for the M1 that you use M1 appropriate powder and loads. There is a variety that works but its best to stick to the main powders that are within a good burn rate.

168 A-Max over 47.5gr Varget = Hornady Garand match.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    What model .06 are you shooting? I shoot a rebarreled Rem 700 in .06 I reload with a 200gr Sierra Match King using 53.3 grains of H4350.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    While Varget always come up most people I know there pet load is also with 4064.. For best accuracy.

Varget is always part of the conversation though as it is such a good versatile powder.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Im a big fan of Win 760 for 30-06, but Im not firing a Garand -I shoot a bolt gun (Rem 700)

From what I gather Win 760 is the same powder as H414 - but Ive never had issues finding 760, so I stuck with it, and it has served me well.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I shoot 150 FMJBT (Hornady) out of my 700 as well. For target work they are fine. I use the 760 powder I spoke of before.

I agree with testing handloads off a solid rest - sandbags VS a bipod during load development. If the gun has a bedding issue - the bipod can make you chase your tail sometimes.

If I do my part mine will group something like this out of 100% stock Rem 700 @ 100 yards:

Attachments

• 3037group.jpg
      3037group.jpg
      56.1 KB · Views: 138

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    3ezuhysa.jpg

This is the target from the first batch of reloads. I don't have a chrono yet, so I'm not sure of the velocity. These are 150gn fmjbt, loaded with cfe223, and cci primers. I shot all 20 rounds, one after another, at 100 yds. 6 shots per powder level. I'm just shooting this off a bipod, sitting at the bench. I'm still learning to shoot this thing, so I'm getting better aiming it, I'm still getting used to shooting a scoped rifle, I've always used irons.

1-6 50gr
    6-12 51gr
    13-18 52gr
    19-20 53gr

Which load seems like its the best to continue with? I'm not great at figuring these things out yet, but I'm slowly learning, that's why I'm asking you guys for help. Seems to me I should start with the 52 grain group, and tweak it from there. But what do I do next? I know I can play with the bullet seating depth, but how far up and down should I go with it? Do you think a tenth of a grain or a half grain up or down would make that big of a difference in a large case like that?

I have done alot of development in last years of 30-06.
    Best load I've produced is with IMR 4064.
    don't change brass or primers, stick with what you have but make
    sure all brass is full length resized, primer pockets clean and reamed
    primer hole from inside the case...this insures a conisistent flash from primer.
    shot 3 round groups a 4 corners of your diamond portrayed here
    start at 47.5 grains at 3 each with incriments of .5 grain
    send picture. one of these will be the tightest groups and work up or
    down .2 grains... you'll find a sweet spot in powder.
    powder consistentcy and bullet seating will give most accurate loads.
    Let your gun cool between 3 round groups 10 minutes of so.

Kenny

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Hornady is not using proprietary blend in their National Match and using Varget ? WOW ..... didn't know that .....Thanks

Our pet load for M 1 Garand and 1903A3's is 48.0 gr IMR 4064 Hornady 168 gr A-Max

Keep in mind it's Varget but not the canister grade we use, they use the bulk grade so their charge weights per lot will vary. The canister grade gives the correct velocity at 47.5gr, the guys over at the national match forum worked it out a few years ago.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    What model .06 are you shooting? I shoot a rebarreled Rem 700 in .06 I reload with a 200gr Sierra Match King using 53.3 grains of H4350.

I believe a load almost exactly to is one, won the Wimbledon Cup several years in a row. I loaded at 52 point something but with IMR 4350, which is damn near identical. This was an excellent long range load in my old pre-64 bench gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom