• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Got out to the range for about an hour with 100 rounds of miscellaneous .357 Magnum and .38 Special. Figured I would try a little of both and see which I liked better in the gun.

Until new grips are gotten, the Python will remain a .38 or a .38 +p revolver. The cosmetically gorgeous Colt service stocks are not comfortable when shooting .357 magnum. I couldn't get a satisfactory hand hold, my knuckles kept hitting the back of the trigger guard and the gun (at a portly 40 ounces) fell like it was going to come out of my hand. This is both the fault of the gun AND myself, as it's been a little while since I shot any .357 in a 2.5 inch barreled gun. For the last year, I've been pretty much shooting 9mm pistols. It goes without saying that a 9mm pistol and a .357 Python are not cut from the same cloth.

This is going to be a shooter and also an occasional carry gun. Pachmayr or Hogue grips are both being considered. I don't care about the gun being pretty, I care that it works.

That brings me to .38 Special (and +P). The snubby Python eats it like it's candy. Once I got the sight picture just right, I was putting shots right on top of each other. This is not a long distance gun, so I was shooting at between 7-10 yards. 125 grain copper jacket. 158 grain lead round nose. 148 grain wadcutters. Factory ammo. Reloads. It didn't matter. This gun shot them all.

The action is everything you would expect. It's different than my vintage Smiths, but I can't say it's necessarily better. What is impressive is there is absolutely no slop. The lockup is the best I have felt in any gun.

Is it worth the money? Time will tell. I'll report back when I put different grips on it.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Good luck with your snake, August.

When I got my Smith Armory V10 Ultra Compact, I often said it feels like a 38 SPL recoil wise. My newest shooter is my .40 cal G23c. On my first try of the Glock, I was happy with the results after my efforts at applying the instruction/coaching I received. I felt that for my first try of a totally new platform like a Glock, my instructor was just perfect in getting me off on the right foot.

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I prefer the Pachmayr grip style for most pistols.

I have a 2-1/2" M-19 and it's a little jumpy too, not to mention incredibly loud. I only shoot .357/125 JHPs through it, mainly because I have a bunch on hand and also due to how far high it shoots with lower powdered ammo like .38s. Even .38+P/110 JHPs (old MSP load) shoot a little high when zeroed for full power ammo

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Got out to the range for about an hour with 100 rounds of miscellaneous .357 Magnum and .38 Special. Figured I would try a little of both and see which I liked better in the gun.

Until new grips are gotten, the Python will remain a .38 or a .38 +p revolver. The cosmetically gorgeous Colt service stocks are not comfortable when shooting .357 magnum. I couldn't get a satisfactory hand hold, my knuckles kept hitting the back of the trigger guard and the gun (at a portly 40 ounces) fell like it was going to come out of my hand. This is both the fault of the gun AND myself, as it's been a little while since I shot any .357 in a 2.5 inch barreled gun. For the last year, I've been pretty much shooting 9mm pistols. It goes without saying that a 9mm pistol and a .357 Python are not cut from the same cloth.

This is going to be a shooter and also an occasional carry gun. Pachmayr or Hogue grips are both being considered. I don't care about the gun being pretty, I care that it works.

That brings me to .38 Special (and +P). The snubby Python eats it like it's candy. Once I got the sight picture just right, I was putting shots right on top of each other. This is not a long distance gun, so I was shooting at between 7-10 yards. 125 grain copper jacket. 158 grain lead round nose. 148 grain wadcutters. Factory ammo. Reloads. It didn't matter. This gun shot them all.

The action is everything you would expect. It's different than my vintage Smiths, but I can't say it's necessarily better. What is impressive is there is absolutely no slop. The lockup is the best I have felt in any gun.

Is it worth the money? Time will tell. I'll report back when I put different grips on it.
    Yeah I have a Ruger GP 100. Love the gun, plus I'm not averse to recoil but I usually only shoot about 10 rnds. of .357 / range trip. For HD It's loaded with Hornady FTX .38 cal. hollow points.

Maybe someday I'll try .38 + P. Meh!!

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    My revolvers are amazingly accurate. Much more so than any of my semi-autos except my HK with a fixed barrel. I put Hogue grips on my 625, but never thought about swapping out the grips on my Python. As a hand/reloader, I just make less warm .357 loads. I can't imagine shooting a factory .357 from a 2.5" barrel. I never had an issue with my knuckles hitting the trigger guard till I bought a Vaquero in 45 Colt.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I haven’t fired my new Python snubby…yet. My older generation Python snubby simply loves the old Winchester .38 110 grain +P+ “Treasury Load”. That’s kind of counterintuitive since the Python’s tight barrel rate of twist is supposed to be better suited to heavy bullets.

The Treasury Load .38 Special isn’t loaded anymore to my knowledge but Winchester has a duplicate load as a 110 grain JHP .357. That may be a sweet load for the new snubby.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    IMG_2045.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads