• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    Sorry, I have neglected coming back to this one in a while. So a ton of great view points, but here is where I am at. I haven't fully decided on the 870 v 500 debate yet, but I do like the idea of buying a combo, with a longer barrel for shooting clays, and potentially an occasional waterfowl hunt (if my buddy is kind enough to take me), and a shorter barrel for HD.

I would likely keep the HD barrel on until I needed to go shoot clays or hunt. It just seems a little impractical to swing around a corner from cover in a HD situation, to shoot with a 28" barrel.

My budget for this one is definitely $500 or less.

Feb 28, 2013
    Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. I have both and don't really have a preference. I shot my first few rounds of sporting clays with a Remington pump and did pretty well compared to my friends who had hunting shotguns.

You won't be able to afford a decent O/U for $500. Save another $500 and get a Ruger Red Label. That said, I wouldn't want a double barrel for home defense. I'd rather shoot clays with a home defense gun than protect my loved ones with a O/U.

So, what are you trying to say? Joe Biden was wrong?

Heaven forbid.:rolleyes:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fabs is right, I mispoke. No shotgunaholic will ever know that they really truely need for all time. But after a while an entering shotgunner will form an opinion of what they want for their Next shotgun, and then the process will repeat.

And the OP might as well just flip a coin between an 870 and a 500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom