• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    Well I shoot like crap but I'm going to chalk that up to the guy helping me sight in saying my scope was mounted wrong. But I had a blast my Mossberg Patriot in .270 win is fun to shoot recoil was not a problem and I was shooting 130g hunting loads went thru 3 boxes of ammo and my shoulder feels great even with the factory recoil pad and a thin jacket. Going to have the scope mounting checked out and head out again and maybe this time i'll hit paper. Oh and my stepson had no problems with recoil with the 130g loads

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hit paper, like you went through 60 rounds and couldn't zero it? Not hitting at any distance? Did you try the sight in 25yd bench? It's gotta be pretty far out if you can't get on paper at all after 60rnds even at 50yds, let alone 25. Was it bore sighted first?

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    Hit paper, like you went through 60 rounds and couldn't zero it? Not hitting at any distance? Did you try the sight in 25yd bench? It's gotta be pretty far out if you can't get on paper at all after 60rnds even at 50yds, let alone 25. Was it bore sighted first?

I had one of the range officers try to shoot it and he said to him it look out of alignment now granted i wasnt really trying to shoot for accuracy just getting used to the rifle and it's feel but even at the 25yd line i couldnt hit paper i wasnt flinching to my knowledge

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    With the winds today it could have effected a sight in. But I would suggest a bore sighting before your next trip as that should get you on paper at least!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Yea I'm going to say they "wind" lol

LOL...likely not the case. If we make it to the range, I will try to help as much as I can. I'm not the best shot either, but we should be able to get you athe least a 3" group @ 100 yards or so.

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    LOL...likely not the case. If we make it to the range, I will try to help as much as I can. I'm not the best shot either, but we should be able to get you athe least a 3" group @ 100 yards or so.

Lol 3'' is perfectly acceptable for me. From what I read that is well within minutes of deer

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Wind won't keep a .270 off paper at 25 yd.

It is possible to have cumulative "non-centeredness " with some mounting systems. But to be so far off, that internal range of adjustments couldn't bring hits onto paper, it would have to be so cockeyed, it be be noticeable at a glance.

The first thing ( non- shooter error) that pops into my head is broken scope, a detached reticule or some such thing.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    also make sure the scope is not touching any part of the gun. I mistakenly put the scope too close and the end of the scope was in contact with the rail and was shooting the ground just before the target at 100yd. Found the problem and corrected scope position and problem solved.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Post a photo of your rifle. I would like to see how the scope is mounted. Having a scope mounted to high above the bore/stock can make it extremely difficult to zero.

stan5677

Sep 29, 2012
    Post a photo of your rifle. I would like to see how the scope is mounted. Having a scope mounted to high above the bore/stock can make it extremely difficult to zero.

Here is the pic i can take a better when i get home

Attachments

• rifle.jpg
      rifle.jpg
      51.3 KB · Views: 302

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Here is the pic i can take a better when i get home

I would need to see you with your head on the stock but you may be able to see the problem for yourself.

WITH AN UNLOADED GUN! and with your eyes closed, shoulder the rifle. Put your head down on the stock so that your cheek is in a repeatable position. Open your eyes. You will most likely be looking at the bottom third of the stock. If this is the case then you need to add a cheek riser to the stock to get your head in the right position.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It was windy as f**k. Contrinuted to poor aim maybe?

Could contribute to poor aim, but at 25yds? You'd need like 200mph winds to push it off paper from wind drift on a 10" target and I think cresap might post 12" paper.

To be fully off, you'd need to be about 30moa off center when you account for the margin of the paper. I'd think at least with 60 rounds you could Kentucky windage a few rounds on paper and then try to adjust unless the scope mounting is way off. I bore sighted my AR-15 poorly and it still only took me 5 rounds to get on paper at 75yds. Granted it took me 20 more to get really centered. Mostly because I was using irons with no clear clue how much the adjustments shifted POI.

My exlimation here is more of a "wow, yeah it must be mounted wrong and or mount/scope defect for it to be that off". I have a hard time imaginaing shooter error to put that many not on paper at 25yds or even if one or two hit the paper, not having a clue how to adjust towards center.

As for visually cockeyed, if doing mostly the right things to get it on paper, if it was within maybe 2 degrees horizontal or vertical I'd think you could probably figure out getting it on paper at that distance (2 degrees is about 2.5 feet off the bullseye at 25yds). Of course if it was something like 2 feet high and 1 foot right that would make it hard. Someone spotting could probably still see roughly where it hit.

Definitely find someone who can bore sight if if you can't. Take it completely off and carefully reattach it to the rifle and then bore sight it yourself if you can.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Could contribute to poor aim, but at 25yds? You'd need like 200mph winds to push it off paper from wind drift on a 10" target and I think cresap might post 12" paper.

To be fully off, you'd need to be about 30moa off center when you account for the margin of the paper. I'd think at least with 60 rounds you could Kentucky windage a few rounds on paper and then try to adjust unless the scope mounting is way off. I bore sighted my AR-15 poorly and it still only took me 5 rounds to get on paper at 75yds. Granted it took me 20 more to get really centered. Mostly because I was using irons with no clear clue how much the adjustments shifted POI.

My exlimation here is more of a "wow, yeah it must be mounted wrong and or mount/scope defect for it to be that off". I have a hard time imaginaing shooter error to put that many not on paper at 25yds or even if one or two hit the paper, not having a clue how to adjust towards center.

As for visually cockeyed, if doing mostly the right things to get it on paper, if it was within maybe 2 degrees horizontal or vertical I'd think you could probably figure out getting it on paper at that distance (2 degrees is about 2.5 feet off the bullseye at 25yds). Of course if it was something like 2 feet high and 1 foot right that would make it hard. Someone spotting could probably still see roughly where it hit.

Definitely find someone who can bore sight if if you can't. Take it completely off and carefully reattach it to the rifle and then bore sight it yourself if you can.
    Cresap is 50/100 for the rifle line, not 25...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom