• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Im mad at myself. Just go out. Thats what needs to happen. OUt getting lunch at 1 and across two of the fields I see HERDS of deer...........

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Im mad at myself. Just go out. Thats what needs to happen. OUt getting lunch at 1 and across two of the fields I see HERDS of deer...........

Not gonna say I told ya so, but... :)

It happens. We have a cold front coming in tomorrow, animals tend to move in front of weather changes, so hopefully you'll have a good afternoon. Hope that was a good lunch. :)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Saw nothing this evening. Really bummed I have one day left I can deer hunt this year.

I saw 3 bucks in the neighboring field. One a decent 7pt,probably 18" spread...but over a 100yards away. Saw 2 little bucks lock antlers, that's always fun to watch.

Hope you get your first deer the next time out.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Went out at 530 this am, saw nothing except the drive in. I should have stopped and shot them there. Stayed out till 830 in the rain and came back home. Stayed an hour then went back out to another area. Sat for an hour saw nothing so I did a 2 hour walkabout that took me about 5 miles. Figured Id rather "still hunt (not really)" and scare something off then see nothing at all.

Hunting has been the hardest thing I have ever done.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Went out at 530 this am, saw nothing except the drive in. I should have stopped and shot them there. Stayed out till 830 in the rain and came back home. Stayed an hour then went back out to another area. Sat for an hour saw nothing so I did a 2 hour walkabout that took me about 5 miles. Figured Id rather "still hunt (not really)" and scare something off then see nothing at all.

Just wait until you get your first deer, so rewarding!

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America

Look at it this way - if it was easy, it wouldn't be nearly as fun!

If you can take the perspective that your time spent in the woods and fields is the reward, and any game you bag is a bonus...it will take a large part of the frustration away.

I spend every Saturday from October through January in the woods...sometimes I get something, sometimes I don't. What I do get EVERY time I go in the woods in the best stress reliever I've ever found! I was a serious Type A many years ago until I started hunting again around 2000 or so. Since that time, I'm so calm that people I meet (as well as friends and co-workers) often comment that they wish they were able to stay as calm when things get hectic.

Stick with it dude. The rewards to your psyche will be long-term, and you'll get your share of animals.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    Try while setting up your stand a young buck comes strolling along, didnt have my trigger release on yet, and then later in the afternoon while packing up for the night the wife scared 5 does from the yard towards me, and I didn't have anything ready! Ever have 5 deer running full speed towards you and you don't have anything ready to go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom