• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2. My buddies AR is defective, or I am extra controlling. I sat with a round chambered in it for at least five hours. It just sat there across my knees and didn't try to go murder people. I also felt no urge to murder people with it.
    That's because it didn't have enough ammo in the magazine. Slap in a full 30 round mag and that gun will just be tugging at you wanting to cause mayhem.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    To keep your feet warm take an extra pair of dry socks. I find that if I change my socks and put the dirty pair in a ziplock bag to cover the scent my feet tend to stay warm. My feet sweat when I am walking to and climbing my stand. Then while sitting still they cool down and the sweat makes them freeze. I do not use or recommend the heated socks/insoles or foot warmers. Just a good pair of Muck boots good boot socks and a spare pair to change into when my feet start to get cold.

For the rest of me I dress in layers and keep my coveralls in my backpack until I am in the stand. This helps keep me from sweating while going to and climbing my stand. If I get cold once on the stand I put my coveralls on. If that's not enough I use the Thermacare back/hip heat pad. These heating pads have kept me warm for several seasons even when it was bitter cold and raining.

For rainy days I carry a surplus army poncho to wear while it is raining. Deer tend to move right after the rain stops. Watch the forecast and decide if it's worth hunting before you go.

When the rain stops its like the deer floodgates open up. Guess it is the same with us people. We stay inside under cover when it is pouring and head out to play when it stops raining.

My biggest problem with cold weather and staying warm is my hands and feet. If I can keep them warm, nothing really bothers me. Unlike you, I tend to use the toe warmers or entire insole warmers depending on how cold it is out. My feet get cold way too easily. I can take my gloves off here and there, and usually do while calling waterfowl, and it isn't too bad. However, if my feet get cold I am miserable.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    Thanks. I definitely am going to need public land locations as I myself don't have access to private land.

Depending on where you are there is probably plenty close by. The DNR website has lots of good info. The best thing to do is to find a few places and scout them over the off season. The ones around here aren't all that utilized except during the weekends and evenings of gun and black powder seasons.

As for your first hunt, it sounded perfect. All the action and excitement are great and learning to pass on a questionable shot is important. The actual kill is the least important part of the hunt for me. Besides, anticipation makes everything better. Good luck on your next one.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    At least you were able to see some. That's the exciting part.

Excellent job not aiming towards the houses and firing up hill.

Glad you had fun. Stay at it and you will bag a Bambi.

pilgrim

Glad you got to see some deer today even if you didn't get a shot...persistence will definitely pay off and hopefully your first hunt is a confidence booster. I'm fairly new to deer hunting and it's been an iterative learning process :)

I'll be the first to tell you hunting public land has it's downsides but would encourage you to consider it. Patuxent Research Refuge has lots of deer on it and it's just south of Ft Meade. Have heard several folks say Patapsco is a good place too. Spice Creek NRMA has been productive for me this season but that's a good ways south of Baltimore. A permit for Patuxent is an extra $50 but every hunting area I've tried there has a road that surrounds it...this is significant because if you get a deer you want to make sure you can drag it to your vehicle which can be quite a chore. Patuxent also has plenty of varied habitat...can hunt fields, in cover, etc.

All the time I used to go to PWRC, never knew there was hunting allowed. thanks for the idea. link to PWRC

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I have learned over the years that quality deer hunting is a year round activity.
    Land, food, patterns, stands and cameras.

Have to control the herd and keep poachers off!

Or

Grab your trusty 30-06 on the first day of firearm and head to the game lands!

I guess its all fun anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom